Back form Surgery

Well I'm back from the hospital without a prostate. Recovering very well, which is the good news. The bad news is they found some Stage 3 Cells in the biopsy. They're not sure if these have gotten out. If so, I may need the dreaded radiation. I'll know when they do blood tests in six weeks.

Have any of you been through this. Any tips on what to expect. My doctor is very lighthearted and has a great bedside manner. I'm afraid that is masking the seriousness of the possible problem.

Hoping that they got all the Stage 3 cells.

Yes, I had cancer in 2018 and went thru 6 weeks of radiation after the lumpectomy. I drove myself to and from the Oncology Clinic day after day. I had no side effects from the radiation. Had my annual diagnostic images done yesterday; no cancer seen.

Take care and glad we heard from you.

get-well-soon-warmest-wishes.jpg

We are very glad to hear back from you, that your surgery recovery has been going well!
That is upsetting, of course, that they found some bad cells, and the waiting for future bloodwork is worrisome,
but makes it all the better that you got the surgery accomplished, and at least that major part of the process is done.

Well I'm back from the hospital without a prostate. Recovering very well, which is the good news. The bad news is they found some Stage 3 Cells in the biopsy. They're not sure if these have gotten out. If so, I may need the dreaded radiation. I'll know when they do blood tests in six weeks.

Have any of you been through this. Any tips on what to expect. My doctor is very lighthearted and has a great bedside manner. I'm afraid that is masking the seriousness of the possible problem.
Hopefully they've caught it early Al, have everything crossed for you.

I had prostrate cancer and they did not remove it. I had radiation treatment and hormone treatment which lasted for over two and a half years. I am still emerging from the effects of those powerful hormone shots.
The radiation treatment is really not that bad. Mine was five days a week for nine weeks. The first four weeks they shot that beam through me 18 times every day and I did feel some effects by the third week. For the last five week, it was nine times a day.
Are you going to have hormone shots? If so, the side effects of having your testosterone level taken down to zero will be very noticeable. Think menopause.

I had prostrate cancer and they did not remove it. I had radiation treatment and hormone treatment which lasted for over two and a half years. I am still emerging from the effects of those powerful hormone shots.
The radiation treatment is really not that bad. Mine was five days a week for nine weeks. The first four weeks they shot that beam through me 18 times every day and I did feel some effects by the third week. For the last five week, it was nine times a day.
Are you going to have hormone shots? If so, the side effects of having your testosterone level taken down to zero will be very noticeable. Think menopause.
They are talking about radiation in six months or so, if the PSA is not good. That's all that I've heard so far. The removal was supposed to solve the problem but it didn't. So far, I have no energy, a little incontinent (but getting better) and more depressed than usual. I won't be able to drive for a month post op, so my wife is in total charge. and doing a great job of it.

They are talking about radiation in six months or so, if the PSA is not good. That's all that I've heard so far. The removal was supposed to solve the problem but it didn't. So far, I have no energy, a little incontinent (but getting better) and more depressed than usual. I won't be able to drive for a month post op, so my wife is in total charge. and doing a great job of it.
I feel for you. I had bloodwork done this morning and am getting the results in a bit at a time. I can see that the effects of those hormone shots are wearing off and that my testosterone level has climbed rapidly back into the midrange for a man my age. What I don't see is any PSA results and that has me a bit antsy as to whether or not my long battle has come to an end. I sent the doctor a query and am waiting for a reply.

Not having any testosterone brings its own misery and is likely to be the cause of you not having much energy. I have lived with this for nearly three years.

I wonder if getting testosterone shots may be in your future, it may all depend on your PSA. In the meantime, hang in there.

Good luck with the recovery, Al.

Your description of your wisecracking doctor sounded like the urologist in the series The Kominsky Method (Netflix). The main character, Michael Douglas, gets prostate cancer, and his urologist is played by Danny Devito, a good doctor but a would-be comedian. Catch the show if you haven't seen it yet; the scenes with that doctor should give you a good laugh!

Good luck with the recovery, Al.

Your description of your wisecracking doctor sounded like the urologist in the series The Kominsky Method (Netflix). The main character, Michael Douglas, gets prostate cancer, and his urologist is played by Danny Devito, a good doctor but a would-be comedian. Catch the show if you haven't seen it yet; the scenes with that doctor should give you a good laugh!
I will second this recommendation. I love that show.

Hoping the PSA is good Al, please let us know when you find out.

Back