Bakin' Bacon

I love the smell of bacon cooking but never get to smell it as I only buy precooked microwaveable bacon. But it's on my grocery list for Wednesday, so I think I'll get regular bacon instead and try applecruncher's oven method. That is how I cook hamburgers anyway, so I don't have to sit and watch them. I will cook a good bit and then freeze what I don't eat to nuke later.

Thanks, applecruncher! (Err -- aka baconcruncher?) :)

We only eat it a couple of times a year, usually when out camping. But I've used the oven method recommended here and it works very well, if I make it at home I'll continue to bake it in the oven. I always buy the more natural nitrate/nitrite-free brands.

I put my bacon in the oven also but I use aluminum instead of the parchment paper. If I cover the pan really well with the foil I don't have to wash the cookie sheet. I'm getting very lazy in my old age. It must be drained really well and I like the newspaper idea. I'm going to give it a try. I freeze it as well. Nice to be able to grab a piece to cut up for flavoring. I love it in red cabbage or sprinkled on deviled eggs or in stuffed baked potatoes with sour cream and cheese on top. This has just become a very high caloric and fat laden post.

For-two-years-Ive-been-posting-funny-webcomics-Heres-a-few-of-my-most-popular-5a0d5fc600eb3__700.jpg

Just made this thicker bacon from Costco in the oven at home. We don't eat much bacon at home, but we had some left over from our camping trip and we did buy an extra package due to the Covid. While camping we only fry bacon in a pan, using the tiny oven and having grease splatter in the oven is not good, because there's no hot running water to clean everything up with. Honestly, at home, I don't notice any excess splatter at all.

The pack was 1lb., and the slices fit on our slotted oven pan that I used last time. This thicker bacon came out great, much better than when we fried it. We did 400 degrees at 30 min. and it was perfect! Thanks again @applecruncher, before your advice we never made bacon in the oven. (y)

Tender-belly-smallest.jpg

I bake the bacon on a foil-lined jellyroll pan. About 3/4 done, sprinkle well with dark brown sugar and dust lightly with cayenne pepper. It's called "Sexy Bacon" or "Millionaire's Bacon" in restaurants, who charge $8-10 for 3 slices.

Cooked bacon, as others have mentioned, reheats easily in the MW. Note that glazed bacons will stick to one another, so I layer them for storage with strips of foil (parchment paper will also work, as will plastic wrap). Refrig or freeze; reheat whenever you want.

Back