Bare shelves at the grocery store!

Lots of empty shelves and refrigerated areas here in Dallas. And the large grocery store that I visited today only had 2 cashiers. Long lines for self-checkout as well.

It must be certain locations because over the past 7 days, I have been in Kroger, Walmart Supercenter, Aldi, WinCo and Costco Warehouse and both the produce area and the aisles I had to get items from were full. I haven't seen any shortages and haven't had to buy substitutes.

When I was in Trader's Joe 4 weeks ago, I walked all the aisles and didn't see any empty shelves.
I saw a news story that indicated that the smaller grocery stores are somehow better able to keep their shelves stocked. Perhaps it is the vendors they use.

Yesterday at the grocery store many of the shelves were empty. This will not improve any time soon, the rules have changed for truckers, many who are not vaccinated so that takes them off the roads and stores do not get their goods. Just another casualty of covid.
Yes and it's only going to get worse.

Crossing delayed Monday at Manitoba-U.S. border as truckers protest vaccine mandate​

https://globalnews.ca/news/8516199/...rder-as-truckers-protest-vaccine-mandate/amp/

Yesterday at the grocery store many of the shelves were empty. This will not improve any time soon, the rules have changed for truckers, many who are not vaccinated so that takes them off the roads and stores do not get their goods. Just another casualty of covid.
I actually heard this on the news. That there is not a lack of supply but issues with getting the products out to the stores.

What do you want? Almost everything these days is made in China and must cross the ocean. Then everything must be trucked or put on trains. Just this week, all the truck drivers must get the jab. Apparently, 20% have not got the jab. There is a shortage of truckers in my country. Expect shortages to continue. Thank you "my government" for taking such good care of us!

Winco Foods had plenty of food today. I did notice some empty spots in the pasta and cookie area and very low on Ramen (they have a lot of space for ramen). I don't buy Ramen.

I think as long as people don't hoard 30 packages of spaghetti again like at the beginning of this thing, we'll be fine. Not noticing any real shortages in my area that are worrisome.
The last time I was able to find Philly cream cheese, there were only 6 packages left. I was so tempted just to scarf them all up but decided that would be greedy and just took two. I don't want to deprive someone else of their bagel and cream cheese!

Now I mostly shop at our local supermarket. It's smaller than it's sister store Shoprite. I never see bare shelves at our local supermarket but they were low on some frozen vegetables a couple of times and ice cream once. They put signs up about possible shortages of these items. When I went to Shoprite about 6 weeks ago, some of their frozen cases were out of a lot of things. They also only had one box of the tea I buy, Bromley decaf green tea. I didn't go through the entire store to see if any other shelves were empty.

It is hit and miss here ... some friends said they are all out of this or that and i go next day they had items...

This may be a bigger issue with trucking and store workers...
my daughter who works for a large grocery chain has told me many times at her store the stocking crew often do not put in much effort and leave freight in the back.
Retail often have a problem finding people who want to work or hustle. It is hard work throwing freight i did it for years.

I took these pictures in Tesco this morning ( the UK's largest supermarket chain)... it's only a local supermarket so not huge, but pretty much all the shelves were stocked.. given that it's Friday a traditionally busy day ( altho' almost empty of people this morning) ... . Only thing was , there wasn't the variety that there usually is.. so instead of 5 or 6 choices of something there was only one or 2..

tesco2.jpg

tesco-fruit.jpg

tesco4.jpg

tesco-cheese.jpg

tesco-frozen.jpg

I think as long as people don't hoard 30 packages of spaghetti again like at the beginning of this thing, we'll be fine. Not noticing any real shortages in my area that are worrisome.
i was in the pasta aisle at the grocery store last week and overheard a man, clearly either an employee or a supplier, talking on the phone. He was saying they couldn’t get any pasta from Italy now. And how backed up the port of Houston was. I admit, I shamelessly eavesdropped.
Then yesterday in Walmart, I saw that the poultry shelves were empty. No chicken at all. I’ve never seen that ever.

Supply chain issues? Surely not! Yeah, that’s sarcasm.

I'm still not going into stores so I'm missing out on the excitement of empty shelves, nice to see pictures!
With grocery pickup the stores usually find something to offer as a substitute. I've gotten a few free items by surprise when I click on 'don't accept' but the substitutes are still in the bags. Got a $9 bag of frozen strawberries for free that way (I wanted sliced, but they only had whole). :)

I live in Northeast Texas....my last 2 pickup grocery orders were completely filled. In the past there were a few items they substituted, usually a bigger or better brand with no additional charge.

the only item i did not get on my Walmart order was breakfast sausage,out of stock.got a package of already cooked instead.not as tasty but faster,just heat up.

This is interesting. I haven't noticed any problems in my local stores (England), but the Spar shop supports local businesses so the bread, vegetables and dairy products don't have far to come.

The crazy thing is that there's no consistency. Going food shopping is a new kind of adventure. Will there be food on the shelves this week? Will there only be shortages of certain brands, or types of food? Who knows?

Last week, my local supermarket, the Giant (huge food chain in these parts) was out of practically everything. Mostly I didn't care, but I was out of milk, and they had absolutely nothing in their dairy aisle. But another Giant, a few miles away, had plenty of dairy products, including milk. And I was told that Safeway had full shelves.

So, what gives with that?

Back