Barnes & Noble Nook e-reader?

StarSong

Awkward is my Superpower
I had a very early version of the Barnes & Noble Nook reader that still works fine, but I passed it along to my grandson because I was using a tablet as an e-reader. The tablet is backlit, the Nook was not. My aging eyes now demand a backlit background.

Well, after six years of heavy use and faithful service my Toshiba tablet is dying - the plug-in port is wonky and the battery won't take or hold a charge. Unfortunately, Toshiba no longer makes consumer electronics of this type and I can't get a replacement battery.

Looks like it's time for a new one. I'm leaning toward a 10" Nook rather than a Kindle, mostly because I don't want Amazon any deeper in my bizness than it already is. Virtually everything I read electronically has been checked out of my public library and in a non-Kindle version, so I've cut Amazon out of that loop.

Can anyone offer advice or reviews on the newer B & N Nooks?

I only have a Kindle, which I do not often use for reading. I am more a paper book reader. I really wish I could get used to the e-reader.
No sarcasm intended, but I thought they stopped making the Nook. Or am I wrong?

Buy a Nook if you must, but frankly, I'll be surprised if B&N is still in business 5 yrs from now. Although their new owner may be able to turn things around; he was successful in England. But the USA may prove a harder disaster to fix......

I loved my old Kindles, but I do not like the new ones. I share my account with my DH and I was very upset to sync up the new Kindle and find 300+ pages of book titles! Unlike the old Kindles, where you could "delete from device" which did NOT delete from the Cloud, you cannot do that with the new Kindle.

If I delete my DH's book purchases from my Kindle, they are gone forever from the Cloud so he can't access them any longer.

This was completely unsatisfactory to me. I posted a 1-star review on the new Kindle and went back to using my old Kindle. Unfortunately, I know the battery isn't going to last forever on it....it already needs charging every 3-4 days, even if I keep a maximum of less than 40 e-books on it.

Buy a Nook if you must, but frankly, I'll be surprised if B&N is still in business 5 yrs from now. Although their new owner may be able to turn things around; he was successful in England. But the USA may prove a harder disaster to fix......

I loved my old Kindles, but I do not like the new ones. I share my account with my DH and I was very upset to sync up the new Kindle and find 300+ pages of book titles! Unlike the old Kindles, where you could "delete from device" which did NOT delete from the Cloud, you cannot do that with the new Kindle.

If I delete my DH's book purchases from my Kindle, they are gone forever from the Cloud so he can't access them any longer.

This was completely unsatisfactory to me. I posted a 1-star review on the new Kindle and went back to using my old Kindle. Unfortunately, I know the battery isn't going to last forever on it....it already needs charging every 3-4 days, even if I keep a maximum of less than 40 e-books on it.

Thanks. I was thinking to treat myself to a new Kindle. This will make me handle my old one with extreme care.

Back