Be Prepared. The Grid is going down. Interesting interview with Dennis Quaid

Lara

Friend of the Arts
This has been talked about for decades but the government isn't talking about it. Dennis Quaid is. He said we barely missed a Solar Storm by 5 days around 2014 that would have fried the entire electrical systems and infrastructure of our country. No gas, no water, food would melt in the refrigerator...everything we rely on.

Obama and Trump both signed orders for getting protective relays that could be installed in the transformers and more BUT they couldn't break through the bureaucratic red tape so it went nowhere. It got caught in the Energy Lobbys because they would have to spend money for something that "may not happen". But 90% of the population would die if it happens according to Quaid.

It would cost about 100 Billion (which is about what we sent to fund Ukraine). The Federal Energy Commission could get it done for the whole country in about 3 years. South Carolina and a couple other states have done it.

Last edited:
This is real stuff. Thanks for the post @Lara . I needed to be reminded of this. Everything is relying on the grid more and more, and this has already happened not to long ago ( Carrington Event of 1859 ). It would cripple us if we are not prepared. There is much we can do to prepare but it will take "policy" AGAIN. We really need to get our priorities straightened out. Less kill, more skill.

When it happens it affects one side of the globe depending on which side is facing the sun. It happened in 1859 and took out our entire telegraph system. We need something like "The Manhattan Project" we had in WWII.

(I tried to post the link to the interview but didn't want a picture of...just the link...but the link icon isn't working for me at the moment. I've used it many times before)

I needed to be reminded of this. Everything is relying on the grid more and more, and this has already happened not to long ago ( Carrington Event of 1859 ). It would cripple us if we are not prepared. There is much we can do to prepare but it will take "policy" AGAIN.
Okay, so "national preparation" aside... to remove the "policy" issue, what can we do as individuals to prepare as much as possible?

claude.ai :

As individuals, there are several practical steps you can take to prepare for a potential prolonged power outage scenario caused by a severe geomagnetic storm or solar event:

1. Backup power sources:
  • Invest in a gas-powered portable generator and keep enough fuel on hand to run it for weeks if needed.
  • Install backup battery banks, charged by solar panels if possible, to power essential circuits.
  • Stock up on extra batteries for flashlights, radios, etc.
  1. Alternative heating/cooking:
  • Have alternate heating sources like wood/pellet stoves or propane heaters and fuel.
  • Stock up on camp stoves, fuel canisters, and cookware to prepare meals if the electric stove is down.
  1. Water supply:
  • Store enough clean water for drinking and sanitation for your household, at least 2 weeks' worth.
  • Have methods to purify additional water from fresh sources if needed.
  1. Food supply:
  • Gradually build up a stock of non-perishable food items that provide enough calories for 2-3 weeks.
  • Consider food storage methods that don't require refrigeration.
  1. Emergency preparedness:
  • Maintain a well-stocked emergency kit with first aid, hygiene, communication devices, etc.
  • Have backup ways to receive emergency alerts like hand-crank or battery-powered radios.
  1. Cash reserves:
  • Keep a modest amount of cash on hand in case electronic payments are disrupted.
  1. Community preparedness:
  • Network with neighbors to discuss shared resources and operational plans.
  • Identify any special needs individuals who may need extra assistance.
The key is being able to maintain your household's self-sufficiency for an extended period without utilities. While an extreme event is unlikely, gradual preparation allows you to ride out widespread and lengthy outages from any cause. Let me know if you need any other specific preparedness suggestions.

Wow, thanks Paco! That's an excellent list. I feel better already.

Does anyone know where in South Carolina the the protective relays are installed in the Transformers to protect the grid there? And where are the other states that have protection in place so I can go buy a little real estate there?

Or I need to get a garden growing in my back yard to grow crops and oats (for running through the blender so I have Oat Milk for my coffee).
But my sod was laid down on sand basically....probably not great for gardens but sure works for the grass.

OMG Millions will commit suicide? Infostructure is protected but still WTF cares.
Sure the gun is at the Ai brains head points. Haha

Ai has to know it all, has to have all the answers, Ai must fix, fix, fix, --- Ai must fix, Ai must fix, fix it, fix it, must fix it. smoke and blazes, repeat must fix, must fix, must fix ........ ...... ....... ........ ........ ......... ........................................ haha!

Last edited:
I consider our farm a pretty good place to weather out a power outage. But, for a long one...longer than a month, we are not prepared and probably won't do anything about it. It probably is stupid, but that is how we got to where we are now, how much worse can it get.

claude.ai :

As individuals, there are several practical steps you can take to prepare for a potential prolonged power outage scenario caused by a severe geomagnetic storm or solar event:

1. Backup power sources:
  • Invest in a gas-powered portable generator and keep enough fuel on hand to run it for weeks if needed.
  • Install backup battery banks, charged by solar panels if possible, to power essential circuits.
  • Stock up on extra batteries for flashlights, radios, etc.
  1. Alternative heating/cooking:
  • Have alternate heating sources like wood/pellet stoves or propane heaters and fuel.
  • Stock up on camp stoves, fuel canisters, and cookware to prepare meals if the electric stove is down.
  1. Water supply:
  • Store enough clean water for drinking and sanitation for your household, at least 2 weeks' worth.
  • Have methods to purify additional water from fresh sources if needed.
  1. Food supply:
  • Gradually build up a stock of non-perishable food items that provide enough calories for 2-3 weeks.
  • Consider food storage methods that don't require refrigeration.
  1. Emergency preparedness:
  • Maintain a well-stocked emergency kit with first aid, hygiene, communication devices, etc.
  • Have backup ways to receive emergency alerts like hand-crank or battery-powered radios.
  1. Cash reserves:
  • Keep a modest amount of cash on hand in case electronic payments are disrupted.
  1. Community preparedness:
  • Network with neighbors to discuss shared resources and operational plans.
  • Identify any special needs individuals who may need extra assistance.
The key is being able to maintain your household's self-sufficiency for an extended period without utilities. While an extreme event is unlikely, gradual preparation allows you to ride out widespread and lengthy outages from any cause. Let me know if you need any other specific preparedness suggestions.
Since the 2012 doomsday paranoia I've been stocking the recommended goods and practicing basic survival preparedness. I will fire up my generator for it's quarterly test run, and replentish my blue water barrels with fresh water, as it has been 2 or 3 years.

Where do you get "Blue Water Barrels, Nathan?
I have a gas stove which I think I can light with a match when push comes to shove. That is, if the government doesn't ban it first.

Since the 2012 doomsday paranoia I've been stocking the recommended goods and practicing basic survival preparedness. I will fire up my generator for it's quarterly test run, and replentish my blue water barrels with fresh water, as it has been 2 or 3 years.
Don’t you live close to the ocean? I think you can buy a portable desalination system. Then you’ll have water to sell to your neighbors.

We've done all the prep, here in town, to last us a couple months

Genny
Food
Water
Gas
Propane
Cash stash

and the rest

Got in that practice when living at our off grid cabin in the mountains

Funny thing
got a call from a friend down the mountain
asked us if we'd lost power