Beautiful Old Cars

I can instantly name almost all cars from 1950 through the 70's. Today if there was a line of 20 different cars I could maybe name 4 or 5. I parked next to what I thought was a Jaguar a week ago then got out and looked and it turned out to be a Ford!

Saw this last week and had to add it to this thread! Spouse and I went out yesterday to breakfast at Mama's Royal Cafe, a classic old diner that was purchased by new owners in 2017.

Walking back to our car, parked outside was another classic – and rare – 1962 white Corvair "Rampside" pick-up truck, complete with whitewall tires, in sparkling showroom condition. It was delightful to peek inside the side window (with its triangular vent window!) and examine the dashboard. The locking glove compartment; the ashtray smack in the middle of the dashboard so it could be reached by passenger or driver; the 2-speed automatic shifter stick set in the dashboard, rather than on the floor. It's probably owned by one of the brothers who bought Mama's, as the license plate is "MAMAS RC", lol.

This article shows one that is identical except for color. Ignore the annoying pop-up ads and it gives the background on them. Surprisingly they come up often for sale, I learned: https://www.hotcars.com/the-1962-chevrolet-corvair-95-rampside-pickup-truck/

Here's an old ad that shows the two ways it could be loaded:

x1 corvairtruck.jpg

Oh, I love old cars. Back in the 70s, there was a great museum of old cars in Ellenville, NY. I remember Packards, Studebakers.

There were these huge cars with V-12s.

Just great, great stuff.

I always wanted to get in there and tinker with cars, rebuild one. Never got around to it. My friend Eric once built a car from scratch.

You know the WWII historians say that one of the reasons that the Allies won WWII is because all the Americans (maybe the British too), were guys who tinkered on cars back home. And when the military equipment would break down, they all knew how to fix things. Whereas the Germans were locked into a kind of military hierarchy, where all the repairs had to be done in some formal process or something.

So, all those young guys who were tinkering with cars at home, literally helped to win WWII.

Our friend Charlie has a hot rod car...I think from back in the 20s...rebuilt and he races it to this day. I am guessing Charlie is about 75 now...

These threads always get my juices going

A couple decades ago, I’d considered getting a little Bugeye Sprite

Then I sat in one…drove it

Too fat

Then, lately, I picked up a Willys pickup

Not even a beater

Just a rolling chassis with a body

It still sits there…mocking me

View attachment 73805

Gonna sell the Willys
The old Willy's truck is on my bucket list. (y) Had a 49 and let it go many years ago. (sigh). Now, they're priced out of my range, especially an un-restored and untouched one. (no rat rods or trailer queens for me).

The old Willy's truck is on my bucket list. (y) Had a 49 and let it go many years ago. (sigh). Now, they're priced out of my range, especially an un-restored and untouched one.
Yeah, '49 was my birth year
and the '49 Willys was my target.
Heh.....too many projects up at the cabin
I let it go to a very capable guy that promised to restore it.
I need to check on his progress.

Last edited:
yellow outfit & car 002.JPG
You may have seen Holly's report on our weather today. Forty degrees in metric, one hundred and four in imperial. Seriously hot and the old MG doesn't have air-con of course. But you can unwind the windscreen, so along with the cooling breeze you get: car fumes, dust, dead flies and the odd, discarded but often still smouldering, cigarette butt. Ah the joys of old cars.

I can instantly name almost all cars from 1950 through the 70's. Today if there was a line of 20 different cars I could maybe name 4 or 5. I parked next to what I thought was a Jaguar a week ago then got out and looked and it turned out to be a Ford!
1680247403296.jpeg
There was a time when Ford owned Jaguar, but not when this car was the current model. What a surprise to see this in the supermarket car park.

View attachment 230120
You may have seen Holly's report on our weather today. Forty degrees in metric, one hundred and four in imperial. Seriously hot and the old MG doesn't have air-con of course. But you can unwind the windscreen, so along with the cooling breeze you get: car fumes, dust, dead flies and the odd, discarded but often still smouldering, cigarette butt. Ah the joys of old cars.
Don't love what you experience when you open your windows HC...but love the picture! You are the coolest!

Jessica scrub up 004.JPG
Tomorrow is the MG Car Club's New Forest Run. We have been invited, even though we are not in the MG Car Club. They like our mode of dress, they like the car too.
There's a surprise in store for the run committee tomorrow, I have written an ode all about life with an old MG:

An Ode to Jessica.
An MG YB.
There was a time when motor cars were serious fun to drive,
back then they didn't have seat belts, which help you stay alive.
They had quirky things like running boards and trafficators too,
those were little semaphore arms that gave the direction true.

Jessica is just like that in two tone fancy colour,
an MG of classic vintage, a real beauty to discover.
There's nothing more that she prefers than to show off in the shining sun,
and be photographed by one and all: She smiles for everyone.

This classic car has survived the years and not been torn asunder,
not for her, the breaker's yard, her body parts to plunder.
Despite her years she's greatly loved, her lines to be admired,
and she can still put on a turn of speed to get the adrenaline fired.

Out on the highway she likes to go and keep up with the traffic.
But serious problems can arise, when all the cars are static.
The water in her engine boils and out the steam comes, hissing.
She doesn't have a temperature fan but it's not exactly missing.

It simply wasn't ever there like modern cars today,
there's so much missing with vintage cars, it's the price you have to pay.
But for all her lack of equipment and of technology,
there's something intangible that this car has, this lovely old MG.

It's that distinct smell of old car, of walnut and of leather,
a fragrance so captivating, it doesn't get much better.
Then there's her style and grace and beauty, and class in overload,
but her greatest asset is the fun you can have that comes by the bucketload.​

Back