Beautiful Old Cars

View attachment 156408

Upon arriving at my next duty station spotted a beauty like this in the parking lot. Turned out it belonged to my new 2nd Lt. He was a good guy and would loan it to me often. Awesome!
That's exactly the kind of car that I hankered after in my teens. It's called an MG TC. I had no idea that there was an MG TA & MG TB, I honestly thought that TC meant something like Twin Cam or Twin Carbs. The one I eventually bought wasn't the sports car version, not when my wife is asthmatic, all that pollen in an open top car?
Poole Goes Vintage 01.jpg

I like the TR4 too.

And the precursor to the TR6, the TR250 which was basically a TR4 with a 6 cylinder engine.
Very nice, yes. As I understand it, the TR250 was an export to the U.S. only and it was less powerful (without fuel injection) than the European market TR5, which is the real name of the model.

1973. Me and my Triumph Bonneville, semi chopped. One of the top 5 worse mistakes I ever made.
What was the mistake, chopping the Bonneville or buying it in the first place?
This was the Harley Davidson Heritage Springer. Another itch that I had to scratch.
Bought new, had it five years and sold it at a profit. No near misses, no incidents,
not even a wobble.
Taylor002 WEB (2).jpg

This was the Harley Davidson Heritage Springer. Another itch that I had to scratch.
Bought new, had it five years and sold it at a profit. No near misses, no incidents,
not even a wobble.
View attachment 156518
There's the man! Great photo! There's only one tiny thing missing: Engineer boots. :)

Everything was a mistake with my Triumph. The carbs wouldn't stay tuned with one another. The distributor points kept shifting. It leaked oil (typical of the Triumph) and the dual coils were useless. I trash-canned the coils and replaced them with a single Honda coil that fired one cylinder on the ignition stroke and the other one on the exhaust stroke - which was good! But anyway a chopped motorcycle has to have the right proportions and the Triumph didn't have it from the get-go. The engine was too small to take up the gap so I filled in the frame to give it a better profile and I welding in a hardtail too. (see picture) The bottom line is that only a Harley or a four-cylinder Honda/Kawasaki looked good as a chopper. My mistake for choosing the wrong one. We live and learn.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

1935 Auburn 851 SC Boattail Speedster​

My husband has a model of this car and I've always loved it.

5.jpg

13.jpg

Below is a picture I took several years ago in the Collings Foundation car barn of their 1935 Auburn Bottail Speedster - the epitome of a classic era car.

jun15_2014_collings_1936auburn.jpg

This is what they say about the car on their website:

The crowning achievement for Auburn was the Model 851 with a Lycoming 8 cylinder engine, a mechanical supercharger, and a boat tail speedster body. 100mph was guaranteed and the car has a plaque on the dash certifying this capability. Top speed of this speedster is certified at 101.3mph. A speedster driven by Ab Jenkins at Bonneville became the first fully equipped American stock car to exceed 100mph for a twelve hour period. About 500 speedsters were built and sold at $2,245. Auburn lost money on each one; the car’s purpose was to attract showroom traffic and sell the cheaper six cylinder models.​

1973. Me and my Triumph Bonneville, semi chopped. One of the top 5 worse mistakes I ever made.
not even a wobble.
View attachment 156518
Since we're on the subject of motorcycles....

IMG_20210211_223004.jpg

IMG_20210211_222941.jpg

My 197? Honda 750.

It had a set of white Harley Davidson saddle bags and a locking box that was painted to match the tank on the rear platform behind the back rest (don't know if I'd call it a "sissy bar") both of which I removed.

Put them back on when I sold it.

Paid $1,300 for it used in 1977.

There's the man! Great photo! There's only one tiny thing missing: Engineer boots. :)

Everything was a mistake with my Triumph. The carbs wouldn't stay tuned with one another. The distributor points kept shifting. It leaked oil (typical of the Triumph) and the dual coils were useless. I trash-canned the coils and replaced them with a single Honda coil that fired one cylinder on the ignition stroke and the other one on the exhaust stroke - which was good! But anyway a chopped motorcycle has to have the right proportions and the Triumph didn't have it from the get-go. The engine was too small to take up the gap so I filled in the frame to give it a better profile and I welding in a hardtail too. (see picture) The bottom line is that only a Harley or a four-cylinder Honda/Kawasaki looked good as a chopper. My mistake for choosing the wrong one. We live and learn.

I hear you about the Triumph. I had a 500 that I chopped and it was never right. Then I chopped a 650 BSA and I ruined a perfectly good motorcycle. :( After that, I built a Honda chop. Sweetest machine ever and had the perfect chopper stance. :) (although even back then a little hard on the backbone). In between, I have had all kinds of bikes, and finally after all those years, I could afford a Harley. So, in 03, I bought a 2003 Anniversary Heritage, and a 2001 Fatboy, and a 2000 Suzuki. (went kinda crazy I guess) Still have the Heritage. (y)

chopper.jpg DCP_6057.JPG 1.jpg

I hear you about the Triumph. I had a 500 that I chopped and it was never right. Then I chopped a 650 BSA and I ruined a perfectly good motorcycle. :( After that, I built a Honda chop. Sweetest machine ever and had the perfect chopper stance. :) (although even back then a little hard on the backbone). In between, I have had all kinds of bikes, and finally after all those years, I could afford a Harley. So, in 03, I bought a 2003 Anniversary Heritage, and a 2001 Fatboy, and a 2000 Suzuki. (went kinda crazy I guess) Still have the Heritage. (y)

View attachment 156574 View attachment 156575 View attachment 156576
Your chopper looks gooood! There is that gap between the head and the tank that I was trying to fill in as you can see from my last photo of the frame but my effort made it only slightly better. I was crazy about everything British (probably because of the Beatles) and I was determined NOT to own a Harley. I regretted that decision. When my Bonneville was running right it was sweet but I had to tinker with the carbs and the points nearly every day in order to enjoy it. It just wasn't worth it. I agree with you about Honda. Whenever I heard someone goose the throttle on a 4-cylinder (Honda or Kawasaki) it put chills up my spine! Such a quick response! Looks like your a biker alright. Nothing on four wheels for you, huh? :D

Since we're on the subject of motorcycles....

View attachment 156569

View attachment 156571

My 197? Honda 750.

It had a set of white Harley Davidson saddle bags and a locking box that was painted to match the tank on the rear platform behind the back rest (don't know if I'd call it a "sissy bar") both of which I removed.

Put them back on when I sold it.

Paid $1,300 for it used in 1977.
Nice! Were the 4 cylinder Hondas easy to keep tuned?

Below is a picture I took several years ago in the Collings Foundation car barn of their 1935 Auburn Bottail Speedster - the epitome of a classic era car.

jun15_2014_collings_1936auburn.jpg

This is what they say about the car on their website:

The crowning achievement for Auburn was the Model 851 with a Lycoming 8 cylinder engine, a mechanical supercharger, and a boat tail speedster body. 100mph was guaranteed and the car has a plaque on the dash certifying this capability. Top speed of this speedster is certified at 101.3mph. A speedster driven by Ab Jenkins at Bonneville became the first fully equipped American stock car to exceed 100mph for a twelve hour period. About 500 speedsters were built and sold at $2,245. Auburn lost money on each one; the car’s purpose was to attract showroom traffic and sell the cheaper six cylinder models.​
Almost too beautiful.

1980. Me - my 1960 Morris Minor - and my sarong in Perth, WA. The Morris Minor was a perpetual survivor. Nothing went wrong with them and they never stopped running. Mine ran like a sewing machine and it sounded just as good. I ended up driving this one across the Nullarbor all the way to Sydney and I eventually sold it in Melbourne for a profit!

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 7b.JPG
    7b.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
I love seeing the old classic cars. There was a man in town who used to drive a cream colored one. I think he rented it out for weddings. It was similar to the first photo but was a convertible and wasn't quite as long in front. The second car was a head turner for me...the Avanti. I remember seeing it as we were riding by on the highway and wished it was mine (and I don't even like white cars).

external-content.duckduckgo-3.jpg
external-content.duckduckgo-4.jpg

Back