Being skeptical enough to question things

Olivia

Do you think it's bad form to question things when it may be seen as being unkind or rude?

Many people are taken because of that reluctance.

What's your opinion?

I think you misunderstood my question. When you read or are told something, do you automatically believe it? If someone says, this is great guaranteed investment. Just invest $1000 and they'll double it. Do you trust everything that someone tells you?

Maybe I've been on a skeptic board too long. But I think a good heap of questioning is healthy for one's well-being and safety. As well as critical thinking is.

I think you misunderstood my question. When you read or are told something, do you automatically believe it? If someone says, this is great guaranteed investment. Just invest $1000 and they'll double it. Do you trust everything that someone tells you?

Maybe I've been on a skeptic board too long. But I think a good heap of questioning is healthy for one's well-being and safety. As well as critical thinking is.

I could not agree with you more.

Older people are more apt to be scammed. For instance, my dad got caught in a online scam where he got this message that his computer got a virus and he should have to call a number to get it corrected. And it was supposedly a Microsoft technician. Normally, when something weird happens online he calls me, but this time he didn't. Luckily I over heard him on the phone with a scamming creep and I had to yell to get him off the phone. My dad was reluctant to hang up because he thought that was rude. Wow, I kept yelling so that the scamming creep could hear. Anyway, turns out they were going to sell him a computer protection service for $900. And they wanted his credit card number.

Here's an article about Elderly Fraud Scams.

http://www.acfe.com/fraud-examiner.aspx?id=4294997223

But the point is that anyone can get scammed. And it's much better to ask questions and be more skeptical in general.

Or does that seem too untrusting?

In that case I agree with you. Especially about investments. Hubby and I were too trusting years ago and were deceived by a financial advisor. We weren't robbed but we weren't well served either. He was advising us based on the commissions that he received rather than the ones that would have been for us. Since then we are very cautious. We follow the rule that there are no investments that return massive returns.

I agree... question everything. if you feel you're being scammed or lied to... whether it's a major thing like a Money scam or someone just telling you things that you feel are not true... then either cut off ties with that person or ask them to clarify... I do... I hate lies... , and you can word it in a way where the person doesn't think you're being rude, because of course you may be wrong, they may not be lying.. and in which case you don't offend...

I agree... question everything. if you feel you're being scammed or lied to... whether it's a major thing like a Money scam or someone just telling you things that you feel are not true... then either cut off ties with that person or ask them to clarify... I do... I hate lies... , and you can word it in a way where the person doesn't think you're being rude, because of course you may be wrong, they may not be lying.. and in which case you don't offend...

Yes, exactly. You've said it much better than I tried to, Holly.

I think our questioning apparatus should be in full gear at all times. Not all questioning has to be done aloud, though.

If someone tells you that her religion is belief in the tooth fairy, and she is really serious, well, what can you possibly answer?

I agree, be skeptical.

You don't even have to ask questions just take your time and review the information from several sources before you make a decision.

I think that it is especially important today with so many sources of information and the bias or lack of actual facts being presented as the truth.

If it's a friend and you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, it's easy enough to say, "Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that."

As for scammers, I hope I come across as rude and abrasive. They deserve it.

I'm always skeptical about pretty much everything. I used to watch the television news with a couple who were friends and the whole time I would be saying, "That's preposterous. That can't possibly be true." They always looked surprised, so I doubt they ever questioned what they were being fed.

I agree, be skeptical. You don't even have to ask questions just take your time and review the information from several sources before you make a decision.
I think that it is especially important today with so many sources of information and the bias or lack of actual facts being presented as the truth.

Yes. This is a subject that is not simply about skepticism. It's about ignorance, education, rationality, and 'critical thinking' (as Olivia posted)
No rational person believes something simply because someone tells them something. There are so many people with online access that could simply research for themselves. I just can't fathom how so many people get taken by scams that have been publicized for years. Use your online access to educate yourself. If you can read at an adult level, you don't need to pay a financial advisor to invest (and for decades, there has been so much info on lack of fiduciary responsibility by types of advisors). Read do's/dont's about financial advisors.
There are endless articles on all the scams out there: phone, internet, and door-to-door. Read them.

I am the most cynical skeptical person I know but I trust significant evidence!
But I think the OP already knew the answer to this.

In a very well known essay, W.K. Clifford (British) says that no belief should be accepted for any reason anywhere at any time without sufficient evidence.
He thinks we have a moral obligation to follow this rule.
Obviously, take this advice with a few grains of salt.

When you read or are told something, do you automatically believe it? If someone says, this is great guaranteed investment. Just invest $1000 and they'll double it. Do you trust everything that someone tells you?

No, I don't automatically believe it at all, I know many people are scammed all the time and I always have a bit of a guard up...not blindly trusting.

Back