Bird Watching

drifter

All my bird watching heretofore has been in my back yard. But we are moving. I have moved my patio
To the front yard, in the process of moving bird feeder to front yard. It is easier for me to get to. My neighbor
Got me some bird seeds today. I've cleaned my binoculars and will set out my feeder if I'm feeling energetic.
I'll not put out humming bird feeders. Only one good size feeder. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
lintutorni_lapset_e.jpg

I must say, I do like yours. Ken. The problem is, I've only seen two different humming birds in eight years. We put liquid in the feeder, forget about
it, it rains ad ruins what's inside the feeder, weakens it, so no decent humming bird would drink from it. Most often our humming bird, a dark grey, only took a sip or two and fly off, maybe never to seen only two or three times that (or any) year. But I do like your feeder. I've looked all around our stores, back when I could get out and look around . Yours is attractive. I think maybe the humming birds think we are not good hosts.

Last edited:
Got my birdfeeding pole moved from the back yard from the front. The kid next door mowed my yard, fore and aft, under his daddy's supervision. I kicked in a little extra to get him to move the pole and sweep off the front porch. Don't intend to hang the birdfeeder today, expecting rain, posible storms. A map of the weather shows it building just west of us. I'll wait until tomorrow to hang the feeder till the wind and rain pass over. Wouldn't want to get the bird feed wet. Think north central Texas may be in for some weather also, including Dallas area.
Hard to tell down there. They have more space.

Last edited:
Nope these storms are sliding down into southeastern Oklahma, into east Texas. The metropex will see none of our weather tonight.

A beautiful bright red male cardinal
came and sat, and nibbled from the dish on the bottom of the feeder near my window, today,
along with a goldfinch, who ate on the opposite side of it, at the same moments...
I was very pleased to see them!

Worth the efforts involved!
I hope you can enjoy the new location, for you and your wild bird feeder, @drifter

I must say, I do like yours. Ken. The problem is, I've only seen two different humming birds in eight years. We put liquid in the feeder, forget about
it, it rains ad ruins what's inside the feeder, weakens it, so no decent humming bird would drink from it. Most often our humming bird, a dark grey, only took a sip or two and fly off, maybe never to seen only two or three times that (or any) year. But I do like your feeder. I've looked all around our stores, back when I could get out and look around . Yours is attractive. I think maybe the humming birds think we are not good hosts.
Pfft!
Ungrateful humming bird. 🥺

I put out two hummingbird feeders today. One in front of the house outside the kitchen window and one in the back of the house outside the sunroom. I have to keep them separate, otherwise those little guys/gals squabble all summer. The females are the tough ones just like a number of other species.

We get Ruby Throated hummingbirds, and supposedly an occasional Rufus which I have never seen in my 25 years of living in this area. Now I will have to change their feed every three days until they travel back down South. (And they do not hitchhike on the backs of Canadian Geese going South like the rumor declares.)

A beautiful bright red male cardinal
came and sat, and nibbled from the dish on the bottom of the feeder near my window, today,
along with a goldfinch, who ate on the opposite side of it, at the same moments...
I was very pleased to see them!

Worth the efforts involved!
I hope you can enjoy the new location, for you and your wild bird feeder, @drifter
That's what makes it worth while.

While hubs is digging up the garden to make a new patio area , this little robin is on the constant hunt for food for the chicks in the nest. He alternates between the feeders and fresh worms... he sits waiting patiently sometimes just to get a few big juicy ones at a time..
Yesterday
IMG-5787.jpg
We have got a pair of blue tits, nesting in our bird box. I dont know where they get there energy from, there backwards and forwards all day long feeding there chicks.

We have got a pair of blue tits, nesting in our bird box. I dont know where they get there energy from, there backwards and forwards all day long feeding there chicks.
Red robins are the same, so fast to get the worms, or the food from the feeders whatever is available , fly at speed to the nest then back again a few seconds later , rinse and repeat for hours.. endless amusement for us .. :D

Red robins are the same, so fast to get the worms, or the food from the feeders whatever is available , fly at speed to the nest then back again a few seconds later , rinse and repeat for hours.. endless amusement for us .. :D
[There seems to be more birds, in our garden this year than normal, we have got a lot of young starlings feeding on the lawn too. It is nice to watch them all, the young ones are able to feed themselves now.

Ants attacked my hummingbird feeders and drowned! These rather large and not very bright ants do nothing but foul the liquid and turn it into a disgusting, sticky graveyard that no self-respecting hummingbird would ever think to visit. Cleaning it out daily is just disgusting and the ants that don't drown are making there way into my house. I'm about to give up. /-;

Ants attacked my hummingbird feeders and drowned! These rather large and not very bright ants do nothing but foul the liquid and turn it into a disgusting,

If it is mounted on a pole in the ground, could you try a Vaseline on the pole; they might not be able to climb up to go for a swim?:unsure:

Back