Blood Draw

Sorry that hurt, Mitch,
and more than it should, I agree with Pinky.
Have you something cold, that you could apply to the area, now? Just for 10 or 15 minutes.

Yep they must have poked the vein wall. That is quite painful. I once had a needle for an IV put in my hand ahead of time while waiting my turn for a procedure. They put it in wrong and no matter how I turned my hand it just kept hurting. I didn't say anything because the people there looked like they were ready to kill someone. For the next week my arm swelled up and the vein got hard as a rock. It didn't kill me so you're probably going to be OK.

I just had a blood sample taken in my house. I am "homebound" so cannot leave my house. It hurt like anything. I thought I would die during the test.
Oh sorry that it hurt so much Mitch, like others I had that happen to me too , once.. horrible pain and the bruising afterwards was like a tractor had run over my arm...and I'm not someone who bruises easily.

Hope you feel better now...

They took the sample from my right arm. I do have very thin veins and have had severe pain problem anyway in my feet and legs for 10 years now.
When I read how much it hurt I was quite surprised. Maybe it's something to do with you having thin veins, as you say.

The reason that I was so surprised is because I have been a blood donor all my life. As a student, I got involved in a student prank. We wanted to create publicity but not in some form of boorish manner. One of our cohorts suggested that we might, with enough volunteers, fill our local blood bank, and that's what we did. From then on I gave blood regularly.

For those unaware of the NHS system, if you give blood, you do so voluntarily, there's no payment, but there is a strong sense of feel good knowing that others have benefited.

At the donation centre a syringe full of blood is taken for testing, I'm not sure, but I think that's how it's been done since the advent of AIDS. The test results come through quite quickly, if you are cleared then you are good to donate. It used to be a pint but I think that now we are metric, it's half a litre. Never could get my head around metric.

The only discomfort that I have ever had has been a small amount of bruising at the extraction point, but it soon cleared up. That's why I was so surprised that Mitch suffered so much.

Don't ever let a doctor do your blood draw or iv placement. Never never ever. Get under the bed or table and refuse to come out until a nurse or phlebotomist shows up....LOL.

I used to wonder why the blood bank did such a good and painless job and the lab frequently left bruises and pain. Reason: if the blood bank hurts you, you probably won't come back; the lab has a "captive audience".....you'll be back in six months whether you like it or not.

Don't ever let a doctor do your blood draw or iv placement. Never never ever. Get under the bed or table and refuse to come out until a nurse or phlebotomist shows up....LOL.

I used to wonder why the blood bank did such a good and painless job and the lab frequently left bruises and pain. Reason: if the blood bank hurts you, you probably won't come back; the lab has a "captive audience".....you'll be back in six months whether you like it or not.
A little known secret in the medical world.......most times, your best IV people are your local paramedics.
I'm not suggesting there aren't great IV stickers in the hospitals... but being a Registered Trauma Nurse and a Paramedic, I can attest to the depth of IV training that each profession receives and Paramedics receive more initial training than RN's in this aspect of care.......for obvious reasons.
It is not uncommon for nurses in some hospitals to request a Paramedic friend come to start their IV's for scheduled procedures.

A little known secret in the medical world.......most times, your best IV people are your local paramedics.
I'm not suggesting there aren't great IV stickers in the hospitals... but being a Registered Trauma Nurse and a Paramedic, I can attest to the depth of IV training that each profession receives and Paramedics receive more initial training than RN's in this aspect of care.......for obvious reasons.
It is not uncommon for nurses in some hospitals to request a Paramedic friend come to start their IV's for scheduled procedures.
What a great job you have, it must be great to be a helper in this awful doom that surrounds us.

Back