Books! How do you read and what do you read?

I just received The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold.

The author seeks to shift the focus of the Ripper legend to his victims, and tell these women's true stories as well as put their circumstances in the context of the society they lived in. I'm only into the first chapter but it's very well written and engaging. The author clearly did a ton of research!

The book I just finished reading'The Elephant Whisperer' by Lawrence Anthony was a fascinating read,enjoyed it
I like to read historical fiction books,next is'The Flight Girls' by Noelle Salazar,story of the women Airforce Service Pilots Program during WWll.Its the author's 1st novel

Critics
Critics' review are supposed to tell you the contents of the book, what it is about, is it worth reading...
I do not understand why the critics wish to show you how erudite they are?
How long have critics been 'showing off?'
They were hard at their task of being snide in 1856, when they were panning 'The Whale.'

I just finished Jodi Picoult's Book of Two Ways. It was a light read but heavy into Egyptology. Interesting story line but switching time periods made it hard to follow unless done in one sitting.

I usually have a couple of books going and alternate between them depending on my mood at the moment.

For fun I'm now reading Twenty-Eight Summers by Elin Hilderbrand and for education, it's Unholy by Sarah Posner.

The first is set on Nantucket Island, a special place I visited once and the second is about recent recent religious trends in America.

A couple days ago I finished Jodi Picoult's "Leaving Time",story of a 13yr old girl,Jenna who tries to find out what happened to her mother,an elephant researcher, Alice who left Jenna when she was 3.Jenna lives with her grandmother.Her parents owned an elephant sanctuary in NH.Jenna hires a psychic,Serenity,one of the original detectives on the case,Virgil.
I enjoyed the book, the ending was a twist I was not expecting

I quite like Elin Hiderbrand, too!

I am avoiding all political books like the plague they are on my sensibilities and emotional well being.
I understand completely. I read them to keep up with what is going on in the world even though I'm more of an observer than a participant at my age.

I also read them in bits and pieces and if I find myself becoming disturbed, I put it away for a while.

I understand completely. I read them to keep up with what is going on in the world even though I'm more of an observer than a participant at my age.

I also read them in bits and pieces and if I find myself becoming disturbed, I put it away for a while.
It took me forever to try to get through "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn, and still couldn't finish it.

He upends the fairytale history our schools fed us, and does so with facts, figures, names and dates. I burned with anger and shame while reading it, despite the fact that none of my family emigrated to this country before the 1890s. The disconnect between what we were told and what actually happened is astonishing.

Books about modern politicians hold no allure for me. Thanks to a free press, these people endlessly reveal themselves every day.
As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying."

I'm reading another historical fiction book'The Beantown Girls' by Jane Healey
Fiona Denning learns her finance Danny is missing in action in Germany,wants to find out what has happened to him She leaves Boston with her 2 BFF"s,Vivian,Dottie,they volunteer to head to Europe become Red Cross Clubmobile girls during the final months of WWII .
Its fascinating,I never knew about this program until now

I'm reading another historical fiction book'The Beantown Girls' by Jane Healey
Fiona Denning learns her finance Danny is missing in action in Germany,wants to find out what has happened to him She leaves Boston with her 2 BFF"s,Vivian,Dottie,they volunteer to head to Europe become Red Cross Clubmobile girls during the final months of WWII .
Its fascinating,I never knew about this program until now
I finished this book a couple of days ago.WOW,a terrific book couldn't put it down,highly recommend it if you like historical fiction. I shed a few tears along the way Sue

I am reading a different book on Queen Elizabeth II right now. Not a dry biography but more personal yet professional look at her and the family. Not so sure I care for these people at all, but the younger generation shows promise. Still prefer historical tomes whenever I can lay my hands on a good one. I am also reading The Bully Pulpit which is about Teddy Roosevelt and Howard Taft. The last Bully Pulpit involved Joe Kennedy, a thoroughly disagreeable character. Most of that family we can live without.

I'm now reading'Night Sins' by Tami Hoag
The story takes place in a small Minnesota town,Deer Lake. A 8 yr old boy has been abducted.Mitch HOlt,local police chief, Megan O'Malley, field agent from Bureau of Crime Apprehension join forces to try&find the boy. This book is really good,trying to figure out before the end who did it.I like intense thrillers,can't put it down

Reading is a pleasant past time. There are so many great books to read.
What are some of your favourite books you have read and what do you use to read them?
perhaps an ireader or a kindle? Or maybe you prefer listening to them.

These are great for reading with since you can:
-load as many books as you want to
-adjust the letter size
-read at night without needing to turn on a light so you don’t disturb others.

At at the moment I am reading ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ by Sue Monk Kid
which is extraordinarily written.

What are you reading right now and what great books can you suggest to the rest of us?
I read for pleasure (fiction Miss Jeanette Oke), and political stuff (Sean Hannity), and spiritual (David Jeremiah) books. So, I do a lot of reading, a little everyday. I read at my leisure because I have so much going on during the day.

I read a lot; I come from a family of readers. I stick to the old-fashioned paper and ink types. You can drop them and no harm done, no batteries to charge.

“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.” -- Mark Twain

I'm currently reading The Coming of the Terror in the French Revolution.

51WVcpHlPRL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I’m reading ‘Complex PTSD - From surviving to thriving - A Guide & Map for Recovering from Childhood Trauma.’

This very complex disorder has only been placed in the DSM since 2018 and is a exceptionally well written book for anyone recovering from any type of trauma but is specifically directed towards those dealing with repeated abuse from childhood which can permanently damage the brain.

Finally a book that makes sense of all my questionable disorders. This will be read and re-read so many times. Highly recommended for those needing help.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/1492871842?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

5574B0FB-A7A4-43F5-8281-86AE5C51F1BF.jpeg

Happiness is the way by Wayne Dyer.
“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”

“Conflict cannot survive without your participation.”

“You’ll see it when you believe it.”

One of my most inspirational authors. I’ve somehow forgotten he died 5 years ago. His work is the most uplifting of anything I’ve ever read so I’m reading it again cause I’m worth it.

I need some light hearted stuff to balance the heavy stuff. Lol

Having spent my school years in Vancouver, lived in a predominantly Chinese-Canadian neighbourhood and had many CC friends, I am drawn to CC authors.

Just finished this book .. The End of East
https://vpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/351270040

I am waiting for Midnight at the Dragon Cafe
https://vpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/308013040

.. and China Dog and Other Tales From A Chinese Laundry
https://vpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/368491040
These look great, Pinky! Thanks for the recommendations. :)

I just finished reading'Where the Crawdads Sing' by Delia Owens,her debut book
I had read/heard mixed reviews about this book.I throughly enjoyed it,some parts I was wiping away tears I had the large print edition,a bit long at 487 pgs but I couldn't put it down
The story is set in Barcley Cove,N.Carolina,a young girl age 6,Kya Clark lives all alone in a cabin after her mother,siblings all leave because of the father,he soon disappears. The townspeople call her'Marsh Girl' because that's where she lives,attends school only 1 day because she doesn't now how to read.A classmate,Tate who she soon learns to trusts, teaches her how to read which changes her live forever

Love reading history or a good novel every night before bed.I was at a goodwill store awhile back and found almost the complete set of Winston Churchill's wartime memoirs (minus one which I picked up on ebay.)Pretty interesting and detailed memoir.I'm on vol. 5 ,"Closing the Ring" now.

Back