California fires

A pipeline from the Mississippi or Missouri rivers to the SW would be an expensive proposition, but it may be the Only solution to maintaining the SW populations.
It's expensive to build oil pipelines and they do it anyway.
Maybe it's time to rethink having all this population in the SW and west coast. A lot of that land and ecosystem is fragile and we are overwhelming it with people. I know people won't like this but I think the time has come to consider designating more of that area as natural resource and prohibiting people living there. People have demonstrated they are not good stewards of the land.

Piping in water from other areas of the country would just encourage the type of bad eco-system management that has led to the current problem. Besides, the Rocky Mountains are in the way.
All ecosystems are fragile. True we are not good stewards, but that is true everywhere. What we needed to do was stop overpopulating the planet. I'm talking about piping the water in from the floods, that way the areas that have too much water benefit and the areas that don't have enough benefit. The bottom line issue is the climate change.

Maybe it's time to rethink having all this population in the SW and west coast. A lot of that land and ecosystem is fragile and we are overwhelming it with people. I know people won't like this but I think the time has come to consider designating more of that area as natural resource and prohibiting people living there. People have demonstrated they are not good stewards of the land.

Piping in water from other areas of the country would just encourage the type of bad eco-system management that has led to the current problem. Besides, the Rocky Mountains are in the way.
You make excellent points. However as to rethinking having all the SW population, where would we go? A lot of the population in other areas than the SW (some of whom I've actually spoken to about this) detest the idea of having "a bunch of darn SWers--espec. those !@#$% Californians--dumped" on them. Heck, even when people are just idly talking about moving: another site I was on, somebody started a thread about "if you could move to anywhere in the U.S., where would it be"; somebody posted the reply of "Calif. if it weren't for the fire danger." Some guy posted "the probl. with Calif. is not the fire danger, it's all the darn weirdos who live there, they oughta be made to leave." I thought to myself, "Well now, settle down; maybe he's just kidding." So I replied back, "Well where do you think this old, 3rd-generation, native Californian, and all the other Californians should go? Could we move to your area, maybe?" And he replies back, "No! I'm thinking you all should go to Mexico or South America!"

So seriously, where are we--and other unwanted populations all over the world--supposed to go? Where? (Yeah, yeah, I know: some people just want us to not exist, period.)

All of us just need to think about what we can do individually to help undo the damage we have all done to the planet and then start doing that. Blame is easy to assign if we assign it to someone else. It solves nothing. We need compassion, understanding, a willingness to follow the science and a lot of guts and elbow grease. We need it now.

These forest fires, hurricanes, floods and droughts, etc.....coupled with global warming and rising oceans....are all signs that our planet is changing. Couple the environmental changes with unchecked population growth, and we are seeing the early signs of substantial challenges future generations will have to cope with.

Humans have chosen to ignore the basic rules of "supply and demand", and this Will eventually catch up with Everyone.

Yep-another new one today in the Napa valley. Same area that burned a month ago. Hospital being evacuated right now. Our county has been doing well this year but knowing that could change at any second is really nervewracking....
I didn't realize it was the same area, although I knew the one a month ago was in the Napa Valley. It must be so hard for you. Have any of the vineyards burned?

Yes,same general area.

As far as vineyards,they seem to do very well in these fires-I`m thinking because they turn on the sprinklers to save them.BUT we were noticing the other day that there are lots of vines that look "parched",like maybe the grapes are so smoke damaged that they aren`t even bothering.

Yes,same general area.

As far as vineyards,they seem to do very well in these fires-I`m thinking because they turn on the sprinklers to save them.BUT we were noticing the other day that there are lots of vines that look "parched",like maybe the grapes are so smoke damaged that they aren`t even bothering.
Interesting.

Yes,same general area.

At a wine tasting...this wine is special, it has a nice smoky aromatic quality to it.

Always look for the silver lining. :)

Tony

Yes,that`s what I heard about the fires last year; that the grapes were not negatively affete. Not sure why the vineyards we drove past appeared to be uncared for-unless the grapes had already been harvested. Actually,by now they should have been. I keep thinking it`s still mid-August lol. Only comments I`ve heard about grapes this year is that they are making the mountain roads very slick from the leakage when they are being transported.

You make excellent points. However as to rethinking having all the SW population, where would we go? A lot of the population in other areas than the SW (some of whom I've actually spoken to about this) detest the idea of having "a bunch of darn SWers--espec. those !@#$% Californians--dumped" on them. Heck, even when people are just idly talking about moving: another site I was on, somebody started a thread about "if you could move to anywhere in the U.S., where would it be"; somebody posted the reply of "Calif. if it weren't for the fire danger." Some guy posted "the probl. with Calif. is not the fire danger, it's all the darn weirdos who live there, they oughta be made to leave." I thought to myself, "Well now, settle down; maybe he's just kidding." So I replied back, "Well where do you think this old, 3rd-generation, native Californian, and all the other Californians should go? Could we move to your area, maybe?" And he replies back, "No! I'm thinking you all should go to Mexico or South America!"

So seriously, where are we--and other unwanted populations all over the world--supposed to go? Where? (Yeah, yeah, I know: some people just want us to not exist, period.)

You can take heart in the fact that it isn't just Californians who seem to be unwanted. In a forum I no longer inhabit, I had mentioned my concern for the long term viability of living just outside Minneapolis with what has been going on there. I mentioned considering a move to Idaho or Montana. I was told in no uncertain terms that "we don't want your kind here". I don't know what "your kind" is, other than not being from there, since I did live in that part of the country for a time back in the 1970s and got along just fine.

I don't know if the level of hatred has really risen that much in the intervening years, or if there is just a level of bravado when hiding behind a keyboard in a forum instead of talking face to face.

By the way, I sincerely hope that Minneapolis gets its issues sorted out. It has been a wonderful area for so long and it is sad to see what is happening right now. The city needs real leadership that is fair to all its citizens. I have lived in the area since 1978, and would have never predicted the mess it is in now.

Tony

You can take heart in the fact that it isn't just Californians who seem to be unwanted. In a forum I no longer inhabit, I had mentioned my concern for the long term viability of living just outside Minneapolis with what has been going on there. I mentioned considering a move to Idaho or Montana. I was told in no uncertain terms that "we don't want your kind here". I don't know what "your kind" is, other than not being from there, since I did live in that part of the country for a time back in the 1970s and got along just fine.

I don't know if the level of hatred has really risen that much in the intervening years, or if there is just a level of bravado when hiding behind a keyboard in a forum instead of talking face to face.

By the way, I sincerely hope that Minneapolis gets its issues sorted out. It has been a wonderful area for so long and it is sad to see what is happening right now. The city needs real leadership that is fair to all its citizens. I have lived in the area since 1978, and would have never predicted the mess it is in now.

Tony
There are a lot of really immature people all over the place. Somehow it comforts them to make you and others feel unwelcome.

And if everyone, for the most part, believes that Climate Change is one of the major problems, then why are we as a country, withdrawing from worldwide groups that are at least trying to improve the man-made problems connected with the Change.

We can argue "'til the cows come home" about natural vs. man-made problems, but shouldn't we, on a worldwide basis, try and correct things that ARE in our power to change?

And if everyone, for the most part, believes that Climate Change is one of the major problems, then why are we as a country, withdrawing from worldwide groups that are at least trying to improve the man-made problems connected with the Change.

I'm afraid not everyone believes that climate change is one of the major problems. Also there are other people who are voting for things other than climate change which are more important for them overall.

Like an earlier poster, I equate living in a fire zone akin to living at or below sea level, coastal areas, and flood plains. You should more or less expect a disaster at some point in time. You can either take your chances or not. If you don’t control burn and clear underbrush on a regular basis, Mother Nature will.

Like an earlier poster, I equate living in a fire zone akin to living at or below sea level, coastal areas, and flood plains. You should more or less expect a disaster at some point in time. You can either take your chances or not. If you don’t control burn and clear underbrush on a regular basis, Mother Nature will.
There is no place to move that's safe. No Place. We do control burn. That's not the issue. The issue is climate change.

Back