Can anyone explain to me what - Woke - means in relation to societal matters?

I think there are different levels of woke. It started out by meaning you were awake to prejudice and discrimination, but it has become extreme on both sides of the political aisle. My philosophy is to be aware of what is happening but do your own research. Don't be so open minded that your brain falls out, or so close minded that you are unwilling to consider another view.

it can be seen as an enlightened movement that wishes to address the errors of the past from say one group of humans towards other groups. Reversing the demons of the slave trade for example and many more?
It was not supposed to have included this, I don't believe. It was not so complicated, it simply is what it says without historical connotations.

"Woke" means anything you want it to. Originally, it was a Black-American term for being aware of racism. Then it morphed into a derogatory term for gay rights, abortion rights, and other progressive trends. It further morphed into an anti- government ideation. It's a term like "family values", which can be whatever the speaker thinks it means.

I think for most, today, the term is of little meaning. People will say homeless people are "unhoused" feel good about what they said, but did nothing to help someone in an adverse situation.

It's advocating an intact male can be in the woman's locker room at the gym due to their self identity and think they are in the right. And not caring about that 8 girl, with her mother, who sees this after swimming.

I could go on, I'll leave it at this. My opinion only.

I hope this works. It’s a link to Bethany Mandel who wrote a book about Woke and can’t come up with a definition.

No, none of them seem to work properly. I don’t belong to twitter. If interested, you can see it and watch the deer in the headlines look on her face.

• “Mandel stammered for about 30 seconds saying, "This is going to be one of those moments that goes viral," in a video clip that's since been viewed more than 34 million times on one tweet.” Axios.com.

It's become a kind of "snotty" way of referring to people or ideas that are liberal, progressive, sometimes at the edge of extreme forward-thinking ideas. I don't think it's in general use; it's mostly used as an insult by conservatives. (No politics here, I'm referring to social conservatives, no matter how they vote.)

By my reckoning, in the US, "woke" means noticing our behavior, and having awareness and empathy toward other people's situations, particularly people who have historically been marginalized. That includes females, non-whites, the disabled, people with mental health challenges, LGBTQ+, the indigent, and so forth.

Me? I try to be woke. Beats being asleep any day.

Back