Can no longer stand up from a fall without help

I fell out of my wheelchair reaching for something on the floor. Bought me some reachers to pick things up now. Have one in every room. After my massive stroke I am unable to exercise as before. Spascisity set in (sic) and left side is partially paralyzed. I used to be a runner and attended exercise classes 3 times a week. Stroke changed all that. PT has given me exercises I try to do daily.

Big snow storm starting Sunday morning into Monday evening. Not looking forward to shoveling that! If you suggest I get someone to do it, I know just about as much of that as you do. The guy next door has a riding snowblower and sometimes he does the public sidewalk on our block and sometimes he doesn't which is worse than knowing he isn't going to do it. Sometimes I wait and wait, then go ahead. An hour later I hear him doing it after I shovel that highway piled snow. If I wait too long, there will be a fine.

Big snow storm starting Sunday morning into Monday evening. Not looking forward to shoveling that! If you suggest I get someone to do it, I know just about as much of that as you do. The guy next door has a riding snowblower and sometimes he does the public sidewalk on our block and sometimes he doesn't which is worse than knowing he isn't going to do it. Sometimes I wait and wait, then go ahead. An hour later I hear him doing it after I shovel that highway piled snow. If I wait too long, there will be a fine.
Why not ask the guy next door if you could hire him to clear your sidewalk.

Another thought is https://nextdoor.com/. I'm a member in my area and people advertise to find kids to shovel and plow operators for driveways. I saw an ad today from a fella looking for customers where he charges a flat $350.00 for the season to plow a basic driveway each time it snows.

Last edited:
Why not ask the guy next door if you could hire him to clear your sidewalk.

Another thought is https://nextdoor.com/. I'm a member in my area and people advertise to find kids to shovel and plow operators for driveways. I saw an ad today from a fella looking for customers where he charges a flat $350.00 for the season to plow a basic driveway each time it snows.

Trouble is, what if it does not snow all season....or snows just once ? That's a pretty expensive "snow removal insurance plain"

I fell out of my wheelchair reaching for something on the floor. Bought me some reachers to pick things up now. Have one in every room. After my massive stroke I am unable to exercise as before. Spascisity set in (sic) and left side is partially paralyzed. I used to be a runner and attended exercise classes 3 times a week. Stroke changed all that. PT has given me exercises I try to do daily.
Its okay catlady. I just urge anyone with horrible migraine headaches to get checked. I found out I had a brain aneurysm that ruptured. Neuro doctor said it had been causing the migraines. Was blessed to have good insurance, I was 50 when it happened. Had no idea I had the aneurysm.

Trouble is, what if it does not snow all season....or snows just once ? That's a pretty expensive "snow removal insurance plain"
Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

Some of the snow-plow operators will take a per plow deal but they usually take care of the annual accounts first and if they need to plow a couple of times a day during a major storm they will charge per plow, not per day.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion I got nothing else.

I agree. She's better off asking the neighbor if he's willing to do hers for a fee and ask how much. Or hire someone to do it if/when it snows. If she's unable to bury a cat in her backyard (from another thread) how would she be able to shovel a driveway. How HAS she had shoveled snow all these years in NY?

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Some of the snow-plow operators will take a per plow deal but they usually take care of the annual accounts first and if they need to plow a couple of times a day during a major storm they will charge per plow, not per day. Anyway, it was just a suggestion I got nothing else.
I'm glad I don't live in snow country anymore. I used to shovel my own driveway in CT, but I was still young when I left, only 35. Here it snows once every five years or so and it lasts only a few hours.

I'm glad I don't live in snow country anymore. I used to shovel my own driveway in CT, but I was still young when I left, only 35. Here it snows once every five years or so and it lasts only a few hours.
Where I live we average 124" of snow each year.

I don't mind it because the snow removal and indoor parking are included in the rent, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!

@Aunt Bea - LOL, 124" is a LOTTA snow! I couldn't remember when it snowed here in Tucson last and went to my photos. It's always exciting when it snows here (I don't have to shovel) so I always take pics. The last time was 2/22/2019, so we'll see if it takes another five years for the next one. Here's some pics of our last "great snowstorm". Of course, in the town on top of our mountain, Summerhaven, it snows in feet.

IMG_8893.JPG IMG_8895.JPG IMG_8896.JPG

Deb, no offense meant, but I hope that with all of your issues you are not going to attempt to shovel that snow yourself. Here, we have public service announcements telling people of the dangers of being out of shape and trying to shovel snow -- heart attacks being one of the main dangers. You'd be a lot wiser to pay someone to do it for you. Maybe call the city or whoever levies the fines and ask them if they know of resources for people for whom it is impossible to shovel. Surely you are not the only person in that boat in your area.

Or go ask the guy with the riding snowblower if you can pay him to do your property. Clearing snow isn't worth risking your life over.

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

Some of the snow-plow operators will take a per plow deal but they usually take care of the annual accounts first and if they need to plow a couple of times a day during a major storm they will charge per plow, not per day.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion I got nothing else.

Well, yeah I see your point. I suppose if a 'contract' is the only way?...

I can't dig through tree roots. Snow shoveling doesn't require that. Sometimes if it's a dry, fluffy snow, it isn't so bad - what bothers me is where the street plows throw it into a big pile of frozen hard chunks.

Last edited:
Sorry that happened to you Deb. I hope you'll heal well. Falling is scary, I know. I fell twice within the last three or four years. I was walking to fast and fell on the sidewalk. I fractured my pinky. Good thing it was cold weather and I was layered. My knees hurt nonetheless and I had about 5 blocks to walk home. Couldn't wait to get there. There were lots of cars going by but I didn't expect anyone to stop on that busy street with the entrance to Rte 80. The second time was about 3 blocks from home. I fell right on my face and nobody was around. Blessedly all I got was a bruised cheek and swollen lip. I'm so thankful that no teeth were knocked out and didn't get a broken nose or anything. I'm very careful now because I may not be so lucky if I fall again.

I went out last evening at 5 pm and shoveled, thinking I coudl keep ahead of it. WRONG! Came in and fell asleep. Awoke at 5:30 am to find it's knee deep (which on me is around 17-18 inches). Neighbor came over and did one narrow path in the driveway and in front of the garage with his snow blower. Profuse thank yous offered on my part - that helped a lot. Front is still a mess. I shoveled from front porch to the public sidewalk which is now encrusted with 3 feet of packed wet snow. Neighbor didn't try to do it even with his blower. Enough for today considering when I got up I had a sudden dizzy spell. I grabbed the bedroom door to keep from falling and of course knocked the door agains the inside of my left foot and scraped a piece of skin of the big toe. Getting so I'm afraid of getting out of bed.

I went out last evening at 5 pm and shoveled, thinking I coudl keep ahead of it. WRONG! Came in and fell asleep. Awoke at 5:30 am to find it's knee deep (which on me is around 17-18 inches). Neighbor came over and did one narrow path in the driveway and in front of the garage with his snow blower. Profuse thank yous offered on my part - that helped a lot. Front is still a mess. I shoveled from front porch to the public sidewalk which is now encrusted with 3 feet of packed wet snow. Neighbor didn't try to do it even with his blower. Enough for today considering when I got up I had a sudden dizzy spell. I grabbed the bedroom door to keep from falling and of course knocked the door agains the inside of my left foot and scraped a piece of skin of the big toe. Getting so I'm afraid of getting out of bed.
You had the opportunity to do it, did you ask your kind neighbor if he would do the snow removal for a fee when needed?

These values won't mean much to anyone living outside this area. Graphic posted on local news site of the amount s from selected towns in the county (my town is not listed, but will give an idea of what's going on locally here).

snowfall.jpg

This is moot now. I wnt out and shoveled thsi morning. Took about 70 minutes to shovel 50 feet of public sidewalk encrusted with about 4 feet of hard chunks.

Well, ya really shouldn't be doing that , but it's your business.

Don't know how old you are, or your medical situation but, we reach a point in life where we just "shouldn't" do many of the things we did in our youth. If you insist on doing such things, be careful.

Don't give up on yourself. First of all, get a Medical Alert from a doctor. When you fall, you can just hit the button and it will alert an emergency crew. You can get a bracelet or pendant version. Secondly, see an orthopedist, massage therapist, chiropractor, physical therapist, or whatever floats your boat. Get an exercise plan that suits your age and your abilities. Don't throw in the towel yet!!!

I'm sorry that this happened to you. The good news is that this is something that can absolutely get better, and the best remedy is to continue to practice getting off the floor daily. If you would feel more comfortable you can do this with another person nearby for safety. But what we practice at, we get stronger at. Research even shows having the confidence to know you can get off the floor makes you less likely to have a future fall. The more strategies you have to get off the floor, the better off you'll be!

Back