Cannabis For Seniors?

paulbidner

Hey everyone, i know this is a strange request but my grandmother (who i mentioned in previous posts is suffering from boredom and physical pain based on a recent hip injury)...but is there a place for safe conversations about cannabis in this forum? i know that's not everyone's cup of tea but thought cannabis could be a good way to help her manage the pain but i can't find any resources on this topic on here...is cannabis discussion considered taboo? thanks as always for everyone's thoughts on previous posts! quite helpful!

Hey everyone, i know this is a strange request but my grandmother (who i mentioned in previous posts is suffering from boredom and physical pain based on a recent hip injury)...but is there a place for safe conversations about cannabis in this forum? i know that's not everyone's cup of tea but thought cannabis could be a good way to help her manage the pain but i can't find any resources on this topic on here...is cannabis discussion considered taboo? thanks as always for everyone's thoughts on previous posts! quite helpful!
Click on the magnifying glass upper right... type in a search for either cannabis, marijuana, etc.

Getting grandma stoned could lead to another broken hip or mask pain that is actually signaling a problem that needs to be addressed.

I would leave those discussions up to grandma and her PCP.

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm beginning to think that you are the one suffering from boredom.

Where does she live. It is legal In many states. Try a weak THC. Gummy. Tastes like candy. This can be easily. researched but it is still a subject with conflicting opinions. I use it every week and nothing bad happened in Illinois where it is legal and controlled. Better than alcohol.
Good luck. It can be expensive.

Cannabis is a drug. It has specific properties and specific kinds of medical uses. For example, it is excellent at suppressing nausea and also for increasing appetite. In cancer patients, both issues are key. Some cancer patients literally die because they just can't bring themselves to eat and get proper nutrition.

As far as painkilling properties, you know, likely to help some. Best to research if cannabis is said to be specifically helpful to hip problems.

As far as the legal issue goes...there are states that allow marijuana use. There are other states that only allow medical marijuana use.

from US News and World Report

Where Is Marijuana Legal? A Guide to Marijuana Legalization​

Recreational marijuana is legal in 19 states, Washington, D.C., and Guam.

By Claire Hansen, Horus Alas, and Elliott Davis Jr.
|
May 27, 2022, at 3:30 p.m.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...juana-legal-a-guide-to-marijuana-legalization

A question I've wondered for a long time- anybody who uses this stuff plz reply- does it actually relieve pain, or is the person just 'high' and doesn't notice the pain?

(I do not plan to use it, just wondering what your experiences have been)

I'll give it a shot.

I'm 61, back in the 70's I was your stereotypical stoner. I had to make a choice around age 20 do I keep sparking up or make a living for my new wife and soon to come family.

I went the next 40 years in a safety sensitive job that required random drug tests. The last few years at work I struggled with RA and Sjogrens syndrome. The sad part I could take benzo's , opioids , all sorts of muscle relaxers and still work o_O
even though I was functioning high. As you can image when covid hit in 2019 it was just about the end. It got my liver and pancreas involved.

I said ALL that to say this.
I read and read and decided I would give it a shot in the form of edibles . I infused some ghee and I now mix a teaspoon full in my nighty night tea . I do not get "baked" I do relax and it alows me to deal with the pain if that makes since. The next morning is crisp and bright I can function sober. I do take some vitamin supplements however the only script I take now is half a blood pressure pill. I hope this helped a little. Fell free to DM me if I can be of futher help.

A question I've wondered for a long time- anybody who uses this stuff plz reply- does it actually relieve pain, or is the person just 'high' and doesn't notice the pain?

(I do not plan to use it, just wondering what your experiences have been)
Same story as above but I developed IBS, and a neurological disorder. My pin level Is normally around 9 out of 10. I use specific strains that target pain and inflammation. I use the flower and smoke a few doses and with 45 minutes the pain starts leaving at about 1 1/2 hours my pain level is about 3. I think it a combination of both the calming effects it has and a slight detachment from things becoming "serious" adds to the pain relief.

This is the scientific explanation...

"But understanding how marijuana works and how to use it for maximum benefit requires more information, and sometimes a bit of trial and error. There’s still a lot we don’t know, but we do know that medical marijuana is a beneficial option for many.

Here’s Where Medical Marijuana Gets Complicated

Much of the research into medical marijuana has been preliminary to date (looking at you again, DEA classification) but the predominant pathway for the medicinal effects of marijuana seem to be its interaction with the body’s endocannabinoid system. The system is also named for the plant’s naturally occurring cannabinoids, the two core ones being: cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

To further explain, this system modulates your body’s desire to stay balanced and stable, known as homeostasis, and plays an important role in neuronal and immune cell function, both of which are important parts of pain perception. There are three parts of the endocannabinoid system:

1. cannabinoid receptors, namely CB1 and CB2
  2. endogenous cannabinoids (the cannabinoids that your body produces)
  3. enzymes that facilitate the breakdown and use of cannabinoids
Cannabinoid receptors are located throughout your body and help determine how cannabinoids affect you.

CB1 receptors are found predominantly in your central nervous system (the CNS includes the nerves of your spinal cord and brain) and affect a person’s pain experience. CB1 receptors also play a role in the signaling of pain to the brain via the spinal cord. On a physiological level, CB1 receptors can affect your emotions, memory, executive functioning, and reward. CB1 is the receptor predominantly responsible for the psychotropic effects of cannabis.⁹

CB2 receptors play an important role in pain via their role in the body’s immune response, mainly due to their anti-inflammatory effect, although they also have analgesic or pain-relieving properties. These receptors are expressed in both immune cells, peripheral (outer) tissues, and in the CNS – but in much lower levels than CB1 receptors.

Marijuana contains exogenous or external cannabinoids such as THC and CBD. THC acts directly on both the CB1 and CB2 receptors, although not with the same precision as our internal endocannabinoids (anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglycerol). While most of the medicinal qualities of marijuana are attributed to these cannabinoids, other plant properties are involved as well."

https://patient.practicalpainmanagement.com/treatments/medical-marijuana-pain-what-use-for

Back in the late 60s, I sprained my ankle in a skiing accident and was in some pain, so I thought I would smoke a joint and see if it would relieve any of the pain. I got high, but did not notice any discernible difference in the pain. That is the only unbiased experiment I have done with marijuana. But I got high a lot back then. So I was surprised to learn that MJ also has medicinal properties. I still question that today. Really? OK, if the medical community says so, then sure why not?

A couple of days ago, I was in one of those tobacco outlets, and they had a jar of gummies on the counter. Obviously, that had nothing to do with medical issues, and no prescription was required. I didn't even know it was legal in Virginia, because I've been so far out of the scene for so many years. I was happy to see that, however, because if a person wants to get high, marijuana is a much safer choice than alcohol, and doesn't produce the same aggressive, stupid, tendencies. I would rather be around people getting high on MJ than around people getting drunk.

Also, when I decided to quit using marijuana, I just quit without any difficulty. Alcohol became my drug of choice, but that led to serious problems over many years, and quitting required outside help and a lot of miserable withdrawal. Not to mention how it so negatively impacted my whole life. If you want to get high, marijuana seems like the more sensible choice.

Back