Cataract op tomorrow

New to this forum, but just wanted to say, I wish you well. You are in my thoughts ( if I may grannyjo) as my grandmother had the same procedure and she was really worried. But boy she recovered and carried on her superb knitting for years. Still cranky but they sorted out the eye problem not the personality!!!! :D :ROFLMAO::D

Found it difficult to sleep last night with the plastic shield taped across to protect my eye.

My vision is clearer in the eye this morning, though I do have very swollen eye area and the start of a blackeye. Actually look a bit of a fright.
Just make sure that you do use that shield. It is so easy to touch your eyes during sleep, and use the drops religiously.
My wife and I have both had that surgery and it went well for us. I did develop a retina issue months later, but that is a separate issue.
You should be quite happy with your results.

I'll be having the cataract op in my right eye tomorrow morning.

Feeling a bit nervous about it.

They've told me to be there at 9am.

I have our Community Transport to take me there - it's a 75 k drive between my home and the hospital. Just hoping I don't get the really "chatty" driver to take me there. I want to arrive calm, not stimulated!

Started the eye drops this morning - missed entirely with the first drop - got it on my cheek, not in my eye. That was after I had first wrestled with the "child proof" seal to get the darned eye drops open!

Keep your fingers crossed for me that everything goes well.
I hope you get a surgeon that has the kind of set up where you watch with the other eye what is happening. It's really interesting & painless.

Found it difficult to sleep last night with the plastic shield taped across to protect my eye.

My vision is clearer in the eye this morning, though I do have very swollen eye area and the start of a blackeye. Actually look a bit of a fright.
I hope you recover quickly and enjoy better sight from a successful surgery. Take good care! 💙

I was only very lightly sedated, and I was aware of everything that was going on.

The most interesting part for me was seeing the cataract being removed.

At first I saw fairly bright, fluorescent type colours. Then I saw the actual cataract being removed. I was a sort of a greyish colour that I saw disappear.

After the new lens was placed in, the colours became more intense. After that, my vision was rather blurred.

I'm feeling fairly tired this morning. The waiting, the wondering all took it out of me a bit.

My vision has improved in leaps and bounds. I was actually able to read the number plates of my neighbour's car across the road this morning.

My blackeye has deepened in colour, that will fade over the next few days, or weeks.

I'm glad I had the operation and I will go back for the other eye to be operated on.

That sounds like a good result to me. Don't forget that your eyes are now in competition with each other. When the internal swelling goes down, make an appointment with your optometrist and get a script for new lenses to use until your second operation which, if memory serves me, will be some time down the track.

Just a personal observation, but when I had mine done 7 or 8 years ago there was no swelling, no black eye. I didn't have to use drops or an eye shield; only sunglasses (which I still use religiously). They were done one month apart. My procedures were early in the day and afterward my wife and I went to a favorite restaurant for a late breakfast followed by a pretty normal afternoon.

NO drops, @Tommy ? That is surprising, but there seems to be some different methods, now ,that vary the needed protocols.

Those results sound good to me too, @grannyjo
and I am glad to hear that.

In the USA, having Medicare, the 2 eyes are usually done within a month, so then after they are both fully healed, then one is entitled to 1 new eyeglasses paid for, with new prescription for both.
It's hard waiting but worth it!

In your situation, I remember you have a longer wait between, so you may want to do as @Warrigal advised, and get a new script for that "new eye" in the meantime.

Tomorrow will be the big test. I go to the optometrist to see if my sight has improved enough to retain my driving licence.

I was unfortunate enough to get "reactive contact dermatitis" from the drape that was plastered over my eye to hold it open during the surgery. Lots of various creams and lotions to get that back under control.

Keep your fingers crossed for my that tomorrow goes well.

Good news. Now put your name down on the waiting list for the second eye. You can always cancel if you think you don't need or want the second procedure but if you do want it when the time comes you will be glad you did.

I had my two cataract surgeries a few years ago. The actual surgery was nothing to worry about. They get you to lay down, and relax. The doctor does his thing, but you don't even realize he's done anything.... Then it's done. Don't worry about it.

I'll be having the cataract op in my right eye tomorrow morning.

Feeling a bit nervous about it.

They've told me to be there at 9am.

I have our Community Transport to take me there - it's a 75 k drive between my home and the hospital. Just hoping I don't get the really "chatty" driver to take me there. I want to arrive calm, not stimulated!

Started the eye drops this morning - missed entirely with the first drop - got it on my cheek, not in my eye. That was after I had first wrestled with the "child proof" seal to get the darned eye drops open!

Keep your fingers crossed for me that everything goes well.
very easy simple and quick deal...blue flashes of light one two maybe three 30 or so seconds ...done deal...drops be meticulous about that...

I had surgery on the right eye last October and the left one last December. In June of this year they had to remove a bit of scarring on the right eye with a laser blast. It was no problem. Apparently it can happen to anyone who has had the surgery. The neatest thing is that there is so much more light in the world now. The yucky thing is that I can now see my wrinkles more clearly. Grin. Still adjusting to that.

Going tomorrow for consult.A bit nervous ,but, ready for better vision!
The better vision is worth it! If you have the regular tried and true surgery you should have no problems. I think my cataract surgeon could have done a great job with one eye closed. I checked him out thoroughly before deciding to go with him. His partner had a reputation for being non user friendly. I chose this guy for his reputation as a surgeon and for being a nice guy.
Welcome to the forum.

I'm booked in for a bit of laser work on my left eye tomorrow. This is not uncommon after an occular implant because sometimes a film-like adhesion grows across the new lens. It will be laser removed in the surgery. I hear it's no big deal.

Back