CDC announcing possible new masking guidelines due to Delta variant

Marie5656

figure image

response-to-covid-19-in-nasopharynx-may-determine-disease-severity

Update 7/27/21 3:30 PM: In a briefing held on Tuesday afternoon, Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, announced the agency’s updated recommendations stating that vaccinated individuals should begin wearing masks again when indoors in public settings in parts of the US with substantial to high transmission.
Additionally, the CDC reversed its recommendations on masking in K-12 schools, stating that all teachers, staff, students and visitors should wear a mask indoors regardless of vaccination status.
"In recent days I have seen new scientific data from recent outbreak investigations showing that that Delta variant behaves uniquely differently from past strains of the virus that cause Covid-19," Walensky said. "This new science is worrisome and unfortunately warrants an update to our recommendations."
The original article was published on 7/27/21: On Tuesday, the New York Times reported that the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is expected to announce a recommendation that vaccinated individuals should begin to wear masks again under certain circumstances.
The announcement comes just 2 months after the CDC announced that vaccinated individuals no longer need to wear masks in any situation.
The new guidance is due mainly to a recent rise in infections, driven primarily by the more transmissible Delta variant.
Over the previous 7 days, cases of COVID-19 are up 65% across the country, nearly 3 times as high as 2 weeks ago. New cases are currently averaging at around 43,700 a day.
However, the coming announcement is a surprise to many. As recently as last week, a spokesperson for the CDC said that the agency had no plans to change its guidance unless there was a significant change in the science.
In May, when the CDC announced that fully vaccinated individuals no longer needed to wear masks, they pointed to 2 studies touting the efficacy of the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 mRNA vaccines.
Now, with the Delta variant sweeping through the nation, there is more concern of clusters of infections and breakthrough cases.

I hope they provide some strong numbers to support such a decision.

One thing that bothers me through out this pandemic is the use of vague wordage such as "People who go bowling are more likely to get Covid" (I made that up for use as an example only). My question is "How much more likely? 5% 10% 50%???" Or somebody says "18 people in Luxembourg got Covid after being fully vaccinated." Again, 18 out of how many vaccinated? How severe were their symptoms? How many hospitalized? How many died? How does that compare to non vaccinated people?

The press is doing a lousy job of asking these basic questions.

I spent a good amount of time sheltering at home, avoiding contact with others, wearing a mask when I went out, and i am now fully vaccinated. I don't mind doing things to help others who through no fault of their own are vulnerable to some disease (Covid or otherwise). OTOH, if the reason they are vulnerable is simply a refusal to help themselves, well....that is not so good, and is another thing altogether.

FWIW, I've pretty much given up on most information provided by the news media. Sources like Dr. Topol and Dr. Gottlieb are far more accurate, though like everybody else, they put their pants on one leg at a time. ;)

They're finding vaccinated patients having the same viral load as the unvaccinated and admit they may be spreading the virus.

https://sfist.com/2021/07/27/cdc-co...delta-are-indistinguishable-from-unvaccinated

First it was vaccinated now immune, then it's will fair better but now the vax is doing what again?

Even with the 50-60% vax rates put that in combination with the previously infected that should bring herd immunity or darn close to it. So this delta variant is that different?

They are going to be required in NYC., LA. San Francisco, St. Louis, Savannah, and Provincetown which already has reinstated the mandate.

What is the motivation to get vaccinated if even the fully vaccinated are subject to the same restrictions.

They are going to be required in NYC., LA. San Francisco, St. Louis, Savannah, and Provincetown which already has reinstated the mandate.

What is the motivation to get vaccinated if even the fully vaccinated are subject to the same restrictions.

The "Motivation" is that the vaccinated are highly unlikely to get sick....whereas the unvaccinated are living on "borrowed time". If wearing a mask helps reduce the chances of spreading the virus, it is worth the "nuisance" factor. We've been vaccinated, but I would sure hate to pass this virus to others, if I was carrying the "germ". If the "experts" say masking helps, we will comply.

I think you will find that the main reason to get vaccinated is not to avoid restrictions (though that is great!) but to avoid getting very sick and possibly perishing. Masks may be useful, but the real protection from this disease is the vaccine. Masks add an additional small layer of protection. And if one is not vaccinated for whatever reason, masks may be their only layer of protection. Not perfect for sure, but better than nothing.

Last edited:
Whatever they're selling is a "Wonderful" idea.....IF you ask THEM.

My sister had a female Chocolate Lab a few years ago. She was intact - not spayed. She chose not to have her spayed, because it's a more-complicated surgery for female dogs than male dogs. And also because she decided it was unnecessary because her dog is in a fenced area when outside & has no access to any other dogs, except my neutered Male Labrador.

When she took her dog to the Veterinarian, the Vet immediately suggested she have her dog spayed.
My sister asked "Why?"
The Vet said, "To prevent an unwanted litter of puppies."
My sister explained that the only dog she has access to is a neutered dog (mine).
The Vet said, "Well, it will prevent her going into heat every 8 months."
My sister said, "Why should I care if she goes into heat? She can only have fun with a neutered male that can't impregnate her, so why put her through an unnecessary surgery?"
The Vet said, "Well....uh.....spaying her will reduce her chances of getting cancer."
My sister asked, "How?"
The Vet said, "Well, she can't get cancer of the ovaries, etc. if we remove them."
My sister said, "Well, she can get cancer anywhere; if we remove one lung, wouldn't we reduce her chances of lung cancer by 50%?"
That ended the discussion.
The real reason the Vet wanted to spay her? The cost of the surgery - over $500.00.

Much like: "Well....the Covid vaccine won't prevent Covid & won't prevent transmission to others.......but......uh.....your illness will be less severe."

Last edited:
I received multiple reports that this newest bit of masking stupidity was based on a single study done in India that was rejected by peer review. I would almost reject this notion were it not for the fact that the CDC has been issuing recommendations based on little to no substantive studies. There were no exhaustive studies on mRNA vaccines before giving them temporary clearance. There was not study on the effectiveness of PCR covid tests before basing decisions on them. There were/are few, if any, rigorous studies on antibodies, resistance and ADE. If that wasn't enough, Forbes: Scientists Accuse CDC Of Misinterpreting Their Research For ‘Harmful’ School Reopening Guidelines

Last edited:
I think masking is over thought and over discussed resulting in confusion. As Henry David Thoreau said, "Simplify, Simplify."

1. There is a potentially fatal disease out there.
2. Protect yourself.

Personally, I'm protecting myself for the worst case scenario, which is that that the covid-19 delta variant is deadly and highly transmittable. In the event that scientists are wrong, I'll have only been inconvenienced a little bit by getting vaccinated and wearing a mask when I go out. But there's a lot of evidence that they're right and people are dying needlessly every day — many on their death beds wishing that they would have gotten vaccinated.

I received multiple reports that this newest bit of masking stupidity was based on a single study done in India that was rejected by peer review.
Can you please post the source(s) for these reports? Inquiring minds want to know

Meanwhile, here's some information from Israel which has an excellent system of recording and analyzing statistical information on health.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccin...9-delta-cases-in-israeli-outbreak-11624624326

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...id-patients-were-fully-vaccinated-beforehand/

Nearly half of adults in Israel infected by the COVID-19 Delta variant were completely inoculated with the Pfizer vaccine before catching the new strain, prompting Israeli government officials to reimpose an indoor mask mandate, a new report revealed Friday.

Personally, I'm protecting myself for the worst case scenario, which is that that the covid-19 delta variant is deadly and highly transmittable. In the event that scientists are wrong, I'll have only been inconvenienced a little bit by getting vaccinated and wearing a mask when I go out. But there's a lot of evidence that they're right and people are dying needlessly every day — many on their death beds wishing that they would have gotten vaccinated.
i agree. We have started wearing a mask again when we go inside even though we are vaccinated. Why risk getting it?

Can you please post the source(s) for these reports? Inquiring minds want to know

Meanwhile, here's some information from Israel which has an excellent system of recording and analyzing statistical information on health.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccin...9-delta-cases-in-israeli-outbreak-11624624326

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...id-patients-were-fully-vaccinated-beforehand/
I post references when I can. Over the years, some of us do develop trusted contacts, just like the media does, whose names cannot be revealed. Whether you believe what they tell me or not isn't really my concern as I am not trying to convince you of anything. As for your references, I posted much the same things in other threads.

Here's some
Not even brutal dictatorships can force behavior to 100% of it's citizenry so free societies can only suggest over and over and over.
Alas, some of our leaders don't seem to know how to suggest in a polite way. They continue to insult people of different viewpoints in order to increase compliance. I doesn't work, but they keep trying, and hoping for a different result. It's quite sad, IMHO.

Last edited:
I post references when I can. Over the years, some of us do develop trusted contacts, just like the media does, whose names cannot be revealed. Whether you believe what they tell me or not isn't really my concern as I am not trying to convince you of anything. As for your references, I posted much the same things in other threads.
Then it's no more credible than middle school gossip.

Some of the advice we've been getting is totally unusable to the average person. How are we supposed to know what a "high transmission area" is? How much is "high?" They give no guidance, not even naming states, they just sound like we are expected to know the statistics about transmission.

Back