Cell Phone Usage on Airplane Flights...For or Against?

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
I hear there's a proposal to allow cell phone usage on plane flights. People that like to chatter away on their cells like the idea a lot, others cringe at the idea of having to listen to someone's endless talk about nothing with their friends. I'm in the latter category, it's annoying to hear so many people have exaggerated conversations in public on their phones, usually getting in other people's way, or drowning out real conversations among folks that are there in the flesh.

Luckily I don't have to travel on planes much, been over a decade since I flew, long before the ridiculous scanning business started. Anyhoo, I would choose not to have people yacking on their cell phones for hours while I'm flying somewhere. How do you feel, for or against?

Against. I don't use a mobile/cell phone at all so I'd be at a disadvantage in the rudeness competition. Unless of course I hold something really, really, small and shiny against my ear and talk loudly to myself. That may drive them bats wondering where I got a phone that small. I could then tell them that the phone is back home and I just have to carry the 'app'. That should make 'em blink.
Bwaahahaha.

Bad move if you ask me, i can't stand being made to listen to someone talking on a mobile phone as the voice is always a lot louder and they tend to act out more when on a phone, like they are doing stand up comedy for christs sake so damn annoying, can you imagine when you are flying to Italy sound asleep and the jerk next to you receives a call then proceeds to yell in the phone, bugger you sleeping:aargh:

Me too SB, Jilly and Di.....don't have one and don't really need or want one.....as far as having to put up with listening to rude people talking loudly on their phones in a plane..... especially when we can't just get up and walk away.....it's just not on....We get enough of those loud, rude, inconsiderate morons wherever we go now. evil emote.gif

Diwundrin:
I could then tell them that the phone is back home and I just have to carry the 'app'. That should make 'em blink.
Bwaahahaha.

ROFLMAO:lofl:

Definitely NOT! Agree with everyone else. I just don't get the fixation of being connected 24/7 to anything, electronic or otherwise. This is a serious psychological crutch as far as I can tell. The whole damned world needs therapeutic intervention!

When I was travelling for my job, I loved being in the car between places because no one could call and bug me..this was before cell phones and I enjoyed being unconnected from the world for at least a couple of hours.

I wonder why all of a sudden they feel it's safe for everybody to be using their cell phones in flight, wasn't it supposed to cause some kind of interference, and was a safety hazard? Hubby and I share one pre-paid tracfone, that I bought many years ago when I was still working. Since I drove to work on the highway in the darkness of early morning, we thought it would be smart in my old age to have a way to call hubby if there was a problem. It has no internet capabilities, no camera, just a basic phone. When we use it, we say what we have to, and phone call over...neither of us have the need to chitchat about nothing, we can do that at home in person. :p

I have one and hardly use it, i find it good if i need to ring my daughters when out on the road haha talking of that i was talking to her on the phone and as far as she knew i was in Ballarat which is about 1 1/2 hours from Melbourne i live 300 kms from Melbourne heading Nth and i told her i had been into the city {big Lie} if she thought about it that is my biggest nightmare driving in Melbourne CBD, about half an hour later i walked into the Gym she owned her then husband looked then looked again with a shocked look on his face , Julie was lifting weights and nearly dropped them on her chest when i leaned over and said Hi haha loved that.
I have been taking notice of people lately and nearly everyone has a mobile phone on their ear or they are texting, i agree with you Ozarkgal they need therapy, perhaps their dummy was taken from them too soon or they don't know how to act like a normal person who doesn't need a mobile phone 24/7, such a waste of time. They are great if you break down on the highway.

Maybe they could specify text only, no speech?

In any case, wouldn't they have to scan each phone before boarding? You can pack enough explosive in a phone-sized package to blow out a window or a piece of bulkhead ...

I'm also a member of the no-cell-phone club - every time I buy one I don't use the minutes and end up throwing it in a drawer when it expires.

If I wanted pointless chatter I'd hang out on Facebook.

People are addicted to their cell phones, I hate when they text and drive too. Some sleep with it in their beds, so they don't miss a thing. They have no experience talking to people face to face, or interaction with anyone socially. I can't believe that some are so self-involved, that they constantly talk about everything they're doing minute by minute, and posting selfies of themselves. :rolleyes:

One day shortly after we got the cell phone, my husband took it to work with him on the swing-shift. He called me at home and was telling me that he wouldn't be home because they were making him work a double shift. Just then the doorbell started ringing frantically...I got aggravated and told him there's some idiot at the door, to hold on. There he was, at the front door, laughing at my reaction to the joke he played...:love_heart:

That highway breakdown thing is all I bought one for but the battery went flat and the prepaid ran out and I've made exactly 2 calls on it. One to the fish shop to see if they had any mullet in to save me pulling up for nothing and one to the electricity company to see how long the blackout was going to last. Seemed a waste of time to carry around as ballast once the card ran out so it's sitting on the shelf 'antiquing'.

I go redline on the highway then I'll either be past calling anyone or else someone else with a phone will call someone to get me the hell out of holding up the traffic. The highway cops use this stretch as their citation quota killing fields anyway so there's bound to be one by within 5 minutes.

Another strange point is that a lot of websites and services require you to have a phone for verification, but they don't accept pre-paid phones - only big-name services like Verizon and AT&T.

I'm like, "I am NOT going to pay hundreds of dollars for something I won't use just to be verified. Have a nice day." :rolleyes:

I've struck that too. The look of disbelief on youngsters that you don't have a mobile number is a source of much amusement. They then go on to say "then you don't have an email address" as though one precludes the other. I then ask them how many they need I have had around 7 from memory. Then they get the throwaway one I use for people like them to contact me. Which reminds me I haven't looked at that one for weeks. tch.

Maybe they could specify text only, no speech?

In any case, wouldn't they have to scan each phone before boarding? You can pack enough explosive in a phone-sized package to blow out a window or a piece of bulkhead ...

I'm also a member of the no-cell-phone club - every time I buy one I don't use the minutes and end up throwing it in a drawer when it expires.

If I wanted pointless chatter I'd hang out on Facebook.[/QUOT

Yep ....They scanned my phone and car keys

Also had my wife in a wheelchair and they made her stand and walk through a scanner.I went to help her and was yelled at STAY THERE!!
Then she was made stand again to go down esculator.(Nearly toppled over) and this was just after a tummy opp where she still had staples in

I complained to airport when we got home
Next time we were taken to different airline boarding terminal (No esculator ) and was taken out to tarmac and wheeled to our plane

BTW all passengers were told to either turn off mobile and electronic gear or have it in flight mode

My wife and I each have a Trac-Phone, like SeaBreeze, we only use when necessary. I'm lucky if I use 30 minutes a year, but at our age, we kinda need a backup. I did use it at an accident scene to call 911. Was glad to have it then.

My thought on using it on planes is, if a cell should just happen to cause an accident, just once, that's one to many. The people that have the Bluetooth thingy, I never know if they are talking to me or what.

I am 100% AGAINST.!
If for no other reason, it will scrutinise security. A lot of explosive devices, can be triggered off, using mobile phones.

The people that have the Bluetooth thingy, I never know if they are talking to me or what.

LOL, remember back in the day when you saw someone walking down the street talking with themselves, you knew they were crazy...nowadays, everybody's doin' it. :p

They say a lot of people are against it. Even those who live to chatter on their cells, appreciate the couple of hours in the air when they have peace and quiet. No obligations to answer the phone, or make a call. Honestly, I rather hear a baby crying for the whole flight, than some joker blabbering away about nothing. Lucky for me I don't fly much, hoping to keep it that way.

Reminds me of this joke which really does happen, i can see it happening on the planes too

I was in a public toilet and had just sat down, when I heard a voice from the next cubicle, he said “Hi!, how are you?”

Embarrassed, I said, “I’m doing fine”.

The voice said “So what are you up to?”.

I said, “Just doing the same as you, sitting here!”.

From next door, “Can I come over?”. Annoyed, I said, "rather busy right now”.

The voice said, “Listen, I will have to call you back, there’s an idiot next door answering all my questions"

Back