Christmas Alone

Looks delicious! I am sure my son would love it! He's very much into mashed potatoes!
You can put more into it for a thicker layer, if he likes them that much. I used what I had on hand and they barely reached to the edge of the Dutch oven. After it's assembled, bake at 325F for 45 minutes or until heated through.

I felt pretty Christmassy or I'd say as much as possible for me but then a relative on Facebook made a post about the nature of my sister's death that happened 2 days before Christmas-he made the post 2 days before Christmas, too. It brought back all the emotions I experienced when it first happened a long time ago. I felt horrible and thought there goes another Christmas out the window. Yes, I do miss my sister but I wish he would have posted all the pictures of her on her birthday next month. I didn't want to bring back that feeling of horror/tragedy but felt it anyways. Feeling somewhat better today but have also acquired a UTI over the past week so I haven't been so spirited or comfortable.

Last edited:
If I am honest, although I enjoyed Christmasses past with all the preparation, shopping, gift wrapping and noisy kids and family chaos, it is not something I think I would embrace now. These days, I like a more peaceful and, to be honest, more selfish life where I have time to do the things that I want to do and not be having to look after everyone else. :)
I call it "seasons of my life"-- I am in a different season these days. I have good memories but no desire to do all that these days.

It's rather funny! Last year I didn't put up anything and I didn't not even listen to any Christmas music. So, this year I decided to put on a Christmas CD of my own recorded music. I have 18 CDs of Christmas music. I listened to the songs but got so tired and perhaps "fed up" with the music that I shut off the CD before the last 4 songs were played.

Christmas music drives me up the wall. Can't stand the stuff! Maybe I listened to it too much over 6 decades plus. Went to visit my brother. His wife has put up 3 (yes, three) Christmas Trees. Praised the lord, they did not play any Christmas music. I think commercial Christmas Music by Teresa Brewer, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, etc. has been shoved down our throats so much over the years that I find it very, very painful to listen to it. May the good lord keep me away from that noise.

My apologies to all those folks who love Christmas music, play it day and night for 2 months and still can't get enough of it. I am glad I don't live in your home.

Back