Christmas Alone

As usual, it depends on the family. I’ll be here on Xmas. Husband will be barricaded in his room as usual, watching black and white cowboy movies, wishing he was John Wayne. 😂😂😂
Does he know that John Wayne's been dead since 1975 or thereabouts :unsure: :)

I have spent several Christmases alone over the years--due to illness or weather or other circumstances. It wasn't terrible. This year i have a roommate but we don't do anything special. Not baking goodies because I am losing weight. Not giving each other presents. Going to Christmas Eve services at church and then driving around to see the lights.

For many years I always invited about 25 people for Xmas eve dinner. It started with close friends and family and then if I heard someone was going to be alone I invited them. If they were good company I invited them every year. Now I spend it with my oldest son and his wife as my other kids live elsewhere. This year my ex and his wife flew in to spend the holidays. Yesterday they came over for lunch and stayed 5 hours. Tonight we are all going to dinner and a show.

On Xmas eve I will cook for all of us because my Dil works. Yesterday I told my ex there’s no free lunch and asked if he could tighten my bathroom faucet which was loose. He laughed and fixed it. Life certainly takes unexpected turns.

Welcome to the forum... where do you call home ?

You've come to the right place , there's many here who will be alone at Christmas this year...

welcome-santa.gif
Thanks! Home is where the heart is, the house is in Scotland in the West Coast. Son died at 26 in 2017 from a rare cancer, it was a huge shock. It took 5 years to recover... Making plans anew with hubby and daughter early in 2022 for July.

Sadly, it was all over at end of April when hubby died, unexpectedly and suddenly, of angina. It's our first Christmas alone, daughter and I, plus new kitten. Just concluded Christmas shopping today on the Winter Equinox.

Neighbours are away in sunnier climates and one household is in quarantine due to winter's flu, which is apparently bad, hence the quarantine.

Daughter's Avon customers will receive their orders on time. We're trimming the tree in Friday, the gifts are wrapped, some are installed already. It'll be quiet so, hoping for wee bit of snow, to brighten the blue Holidays.

Nice to meet you a year later, but better late than never👍

Thanks! Home is where the heart is, the house is in Scotland in the West Coast. Son died at 26 in 2017 from a rare cancer, it was a huge shock. It took 5 years to recover... Making plans anew with hubby and daughter early in 2022 for July.

Sadly, it was all over at end of April when hubby died, unexpectedly and suddenly, of angina. It's our first Christmas alone, daughter and I, plus new kitten. Just concluded Christmas shopping today on the Winter Equinox.

Neighbours are away in sunnier climates and one household is in quarantine due to winter's flu, which is apparently bad, hence the quarantine.

Daughter's Avon customers will receive their orders on time. We're trimming the tree in Friday, the gifts are wrapped, some are installed already. It'll be quiet so, hoping for wee bit of snow, to brighten the blue Holidays.

Nice to meet you a year later, but better late than never👍
awww..so sorry to hear you've had a horrible few years of tragedy and heartbreak. I sincerely hope that going forward will be much happier and healthier for you and DD...

Incidentally I was born and raised in the West Coast of Scotland.. :love:

My friend, Henry in PA is always alone for Thanksgiving and Christmas and he celebrates! He sent me (and other friends) a CD he made of beautiful Christmas music, songs performed by famous singers. Listening to it today, as a matter of fact.

You can also be alone in a crowd.

One of the best ways to enjoy yourself is to do something nice for others.

On my father's side, everyone's gone except 3 cousins but have had no contact with them or would know them if I saw them.

On my mom's side I have 3 aunts by marriage and 5 cousins. Since my mom passed, I have not had an invitation to spend Christmas with any of them and we haven't had a family holiday party since 2019.

I buy my own gifts and cook what I want. At least my house won't be disrupted with a lot of hyperactive kids running around. I will probably spend the day like I usually do - watching TV and playing Mah Jongg on the Internet.

humbug.jpg

Last edited:
If I am honest, although I enjoyed Christmasses past with all the preparation, shopping, gift wrapping and noisy kids and family chaos, it is not something I think I would embrace now. These days, I like a more peaceful and, to be honest, more selfish life where I have time to do the things that I want to do and not be having to look after everyone else. :)

My friend, Henry in PA is always alone for Thanksgiving and Christmas and he celebrates! He sent me (and other friends) a CD he made of beautiful Christmas music, songs performed by famous singers. Listening to it today, as a matter of fact.

You can also be alone in a crowd.

One of the best ways to enjoy yourself is to do something nice for others.
my whole plan for this Christmas was to go and volunteer at the Crises centres, but they are in the city and it means getting there by train, but the rail workers are on strike all over Christmas, so that went out of the window!!

Here’s wishing a good day to anyone who is alone tomorrow. I too will be alone but it is my choice. I was invited but declined. I’ve sent the appropriate gifts and greetings In hopes my name won’t be mud. :oops:

I have had good Christmas celebrations and not so good and I’ve learned that if I can’t have the best day it’s ok and good just to have a peaceful day. I’m an introvert and I realize that makes a holiday alone easier for me.

It looks as though things will stay busy here. Glad to have found you all. 😁

Back