Christmas lunch alone? what food will you choose ?

hollydolly

SF VIP
I will be having Christmas lunch alone for the 3rd Christmas running since my husband has been gone..

My dd has an active social life and will be spending that with her friends over Christmas, so we have Christmas lunch together at an upmarket restaurant or pub around the middle of December....so on Christmas day I will be eating alone..🍹🎄

I love Duck.. so I may have that with Chinese pancakes and hoisin and plum sauce or I will have Beef Wellington... or possibly even something new & festive in the supermarket that I find...

What about you ?

Last edited:
I love turkey, but if it was for just myself, I would roast a chicken and stuffing because there is no sense making more than that for just myself. Or, I might not even bother, just depending on what I felt like doing. When I was by myself, I had a friend who was also single, and she and I usually shared a meal on holidays.
Even going out for a Christmas dinner would be okay, except there are no letftovers that way.

I won't be alone, but if I were it would be a slice of ham, scalloped potatoes, Brussels sprouts and for dessert? Ice cream, of course.

But not alone? Ham, hash brown casserole, deviled eggs, probably broccoli, ambrosia and peanut butter pie for dessert.

I wish we'd have plum pudding with brandy hard sauce, but noooo. I'm the only one here who likes it. My grandmother used to make it, and we'd all argue about "everybody else" getting a bigger serving than the rest of us.

Last edited:
A big beautiful lobster tail, baked potato, asparagus, dinner rolls. Maybe a banana pudding or 4 layer chocolate dessert. Must admit I love a good Christmas breakfast as well! Christmas breakfast was always a big deal at my inlaws house. I enjoyed that more than dinner.

They served prime rib for Christmas dinner, which I like, but breakfast was the most special meal to me. Everyone was happy, not tired or stressed, the spirit of Christmas filled your heart!!

I will be having Christmas lunch alone for the 3rd Christmas running since my husband has been gone..

My dd has an active social life and will be spending that with her friends over Christmas, so we have Christmas lunch together at an upmarket restaurant or pub around the middle of December....so on Christmas day I will be eating alone..🍹🎄

I love Duck.. so I may have that with Chinese pancakes and hoisin and plum sauce or I will have Beef Wellington... or possibly even something new & festive in the supermarket that I find...

What about you ?

I will be alone too so set a place at the table please for me.....thank youlick lips.gif

What about you ?
I'm not sure what I'd have. I couldn't go out because everything is closed.
Duck is a good choice or a cornish hen.

I'm not sure what I'd have. I couldn't go out because everything is closed.
Duck is a good choice or a cornish hen.
yes everywhere is closed here too. Village pubs used to be open for 2 hours between 12 and 2pm, for post lunch drinks.. but no longer... we used to enjoy going on Christmas day

Last edited:
Probably a roast chicken with au gratin potatoes & asparagus. Small rich chocolate cake for dessert.
see I wouldn't have that for Christmas , I can have that any day of the week in the year...I want something that's a little more special ..or a little more luxurious

When I was raising my daughter alone after my divorce.. I told her that on Christmas day she could have anything she desired for lunch.. if that meant ice-cream and chips ( fries).. then that's what she could have...

I'll be alone at Christmas too, but my diet will probably be no different than it is on any other day.
I eat pretty healthy: Legumes (my own thick bean soup); whole grains (I bake my own oat, quinoa, whole wheat and sunflower seed bread); multiple kinds of raw vegetables and about 11/2 cups of triple berry medley. That's lunch.

@hollydolly, I could also go for a bacon wrapped filet mignon cooked medium-rare. Or kick it up with beef wellington.

View attachment 315557
yep I'd like that..or as I said... a beef Wellington...in fact i think I will have the beef Wellington. All that said, it depends what's on the menu at the restaurant with my DD , if they've got Wellington there I might have it

I know it is a common thing for you but I would love to have yorkshire pudding with my dinner. I have looked it up, for a recipe, seems easy but I have yet to try it.

I think one fear is if I can do it, I would do it to often. I love anything bread an from the one I have had I was in love. My son and DIL went to a high end restaurant and brought one home for me. I love a good crunch on the outside and that tender inside .I had some homemade yeast rolls today and it was the best part of dinner.. I will be having the same thing tomorrow. Beef filet, baked potato, aspargus and dinner rolls.

I did not make a pie for today but I have pie crust thawing in the fridge. It will be pumpkin or cherry!!

yes everywhere is closed here too. Village pus used to be open for 2 hours between 12 and 2pm, for post lunch drinks.. but no longer... we used to enjoy going on Christmas day
We went on vacation one time at Christmas and didn't think about all the restaurants closing at 6 pm Christmas eve and closed Christmas day.
We found one restaurant open. It was packed if course and the meal and service was slow but good. We left the biggest tip ever before or since.
Maybe you could get a nice meal to go on Christmas eve and reheat it Christmas Day with some music or a good movie.

We went on vacation one time at Christmas and didn't think about all the restaurants closing at 6 pm Christmas eve and closed Christmas day.
We found one restaurant open. It was packed if course and the meal and service was slow but good. We left the biggest tip ever before or since.
Maybe you could get a nice meal to go on Christmas eve and reheat it Christmas Day with some music or a good movie.
the restaurants here don't close early on Christmas Eve but the shops do... however the restaurants charge up to 5 or 6 times more for food on Christmas eve than any other time during December

Back