Christmas.....

Anyone who sometimes want Christmas to get over, I understand....

One Christmas Eve, My Dad was in the Hospital for a month....Me and my family visited him in the Hospital the day before Christmas Eve....
I was to go to the Hospital at 11:30 AM to see my Dad, morning of Christmas Eve....
.My husband and son went to the mall to buy last minute gifts....grandson and granddaughter went along....They were buying for me and their Mom....My daughter in law was fixing her home and we were going to have Christmas Eve with them....We had a friend who dressed as Santa
to come to the house around 7 PM....

I get a phone call from the Hospital around 10:30 AM....A woman asked for my name....I told her I was coming to the Hospital to see my
Dad today.....She informed me that my Dad had died!!!! She wanted to make sure that the Hospital delivered the message....
It was a total shock!!! Because my Mom had died in the same hospital many years ago....

I couldn't get a hold of the guy's....It was not the time when not many had Cell Phones.....It was 2001....Maybe my son had one but I couldn't]
get a hold of them, cause I didn't have a cell phone and I didn't have his number on my home phone....I called my daughter in law....It took
many phone calls to get her....She Knew what store the guy's were shopping and called the store....She did get my son and

That's my Christmas Story....I lost my Mom, Dad and my brother died 3 month's after my Dad....In March, just before his Birthday and mine...

Anyone who sometimes want Christmas to get over, I understand....

One Christmas Eve, My Dad was in the Hospital for a month....Me and my family visited him in the Hospital the day before Christmas Eve....
I was to go to the Hospital at 11:30 AM to see my Dad, morning of Christmas Eve....
.My husband and son went to the mall to buy last minute gifts....grandson and granddaughter went along....They were buying for me and their Mom....My daughter in law was fixing her home and we were going to have Christmas Eve with them....We had a friend who dressed as Santa
to come to the house around 7 PM....

I get a phone call from the Hospital around 10:30 AM....A woman asked for my name....I told her I was coming to the Hospital to see my
Dad today.....She informed me that my Dad had died!!!! She wanted to make sure that the Hospital delivered the message....
It was a total shock!!! Because my Mom had died in the same hospital many years ago....

I couldn't get a hold of the guy's....It was not the time when not many had Cell Phones.....It was 2001....Maybe my son had one but I couldn't]
get a hold of them, cause I didn't have a cell phone and I didn't have his number on my home phone....I called my daughter in law....It took
many phone calls to get her....She Knew what store the guy's were shopping and called the store....She did get my son and

That's my Christmas Story....I lost my Mom, Dad and my brother died 3 month's after my Dad....In March, just before his Birthday and mine...
Yes, holidays can bring back a bittersweet mixed bag of memories, for sure. My mom went into the hospital on New Year's Day and died later in the month.

What I try to do is concentrate on the positive memories and whisper to my mom that I'm going to see her when its my time to. We try to do for others during this season. It seems to balance out the energy and gives us pleasure, too.
This is a garden stepping stone I've got that sums it up pretty well:

th.jpeg

df5d509f98a0eec28104d659dd1c4e26.jpg

I love to see a Christmas cactus in bloom!

I have an elderly one that my mother started from cuttings back in the late 60s. It used to always blossom between Thanksgiving and Christmas but it hasn't blossomed in several years since I moved to my current apartment. I wish I could figure out how to restore its useful enthusiasm and vigor.
This morning I noticed that the old Christmas cactus finally decided to bloom!

This is the first time since approx. 2010.

This fall I was able to move it to a cool west-facing window with limited light due to a large pine tree just outside.

I started feeding it Miracle-Gro and watering it once a month.

It doesn't take much to get me excited these days. :)

Today, I drove past a home that still had the Christmas decorations up. No problem there......but the Halloween decorations were also still up. Witches, ghosts, skeletons, cobwebs, et al..

So, the question came up......how many layers of Halloween and Christmas were there? And which came first? The chicken or the egg? Halloween or Christmas?

Do they just add another layer of the relevant holiday each year?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Our strata requires Christmas decorations to be removed by mid January. Can’t remember if there’s a date when they’re permitted to go up. It’s never been an issue, yet.

Back