Christmas.....

An interesting note is that "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" was originally written as a very melancholy song. This caused concern with the shows producers who insisted that it be re-written to the now familiar jollier version while retaining the same melody.

The original version went ..
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past
Pop that champagne cork
Next year we may all be living in New York
No good times like the olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who were dear to us
Will be near to us no more
But at least we all will be together
If the Lord allows
From now on, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now

An interesting note is that "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" was originally written as a very melancholy song. This caused concern with the shows producers who insisted that it be re-written to the now familiar jollier version while retaining the same melody.

The original version went ..
It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past
Pop that champagne cork
Next year we may all be living in New York
No good times like the olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who were dear to us
Will be near to us no more
But at least we all will be together
If the Lord allows
From now on, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now
I never really paid attention to the words before but they certainly do sound depressing. Oddly enough I love that song and it sounds great on the saxophone ☺.... no words needed. Lol

I love Christmas
The Christmas lights, Christmas trees 🎄, Christmas food & candy, Christmas carols,
the excitement and everything that goes with it, including the peace & quiet when it’s all over. ❤
I love Christmas and am so Happy that is a day where I can spend time with my loved ones. Everyone being together laughing and having a good time is a wonderful day for me.
Same for me.
Like most of life's experiences, we get out what we put in and attitude counts for a lot.
As Abraham Lincoln said, "Folks are usually as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Christmas became something for me at Montgomery Wards

When my big sis introduced me to The Man

I may have been carrying a full load, or creating one (seemed distracted)

DSC_0077.jpg

Anyway, I have come to post my little Christmas story here ever season
Gotten to be some sorta tradition for me
Can't stop now

Christmas 1954
I knew what was coming….really, for once I knew.
The tree, the lights, the bubbling ones, the tinsel, the snow outside, the oil stove warming everyone (that stood smack dab on the stove), the windows adorned with Christmas icing, and….the presents.
I just took it all in, quietly, unassuming, sizing things up.
(‘Hmm, so this happens, say, every year…huh’)

I never said much for, oh, about twenty some years, and at four didn’t say anything, ever.
I cast a rather small shadow, and more than a few times got left at places. Not on purpose, but I just wasn’t much of a bother to anyone…to the point of, to some extent, non-existence.
Mom forgot me at the Montgomery Wards store once.
Huge multi-storied store…fascinating.
She eventually came back and got me even though I wasn’t quite done window shopping.
I wonder how far out of the store she got, or did she get halfway home, or even home and realize, sitting the table, that, hey, the tiny person that normally occupies the booster seat is not here.

I really enjoyed the anonymity.
It gave me time to take in all I could, and remain in my own thoughts.
Kids were pretty much trained to be out of sight when folks came over.
Ever once in a while someone would ask,

‘And what’s your name young man?’

‘Dad, it’s me, Gary.’

My sis would take my hand and guide me over to the tree, pointing out each and every glittery thing.
It was a no shit moment, but knew it made her feel good, so let it happen.

The day came.

I should say the day before came, as we traditionally opened gifts on Christmas eve.

Gramma and Grampa came down the hill to participate.
I’d say it was around 6pm, as it was dark out and everybody had already eaten.
My sis played santy, handing gifts to Gramma and Grampa.
I was busy watching while trying to crack the walnuts and Brazil nuts from my stocking.
I couldn’t help but observe the fake happiness and surprise from everyone as they opened their gifts…everyone but Grampa. He was rather gruff, and had a habit of saying exactly what he thought.

‘I already have a tie.’

I loved him.
Didn’t even give much thought to that emotion back then, but now I know I loved him.

It came to be my turn to open my gifts.
Not a big trick, as my stuff was in a large sack.
It was a sack full of toys…..cars, trucks, a harmonica, and some little bags of hard candy.
The thing is, the toys were all kinda beat up, trucks with missing wheels, and everything was a bit scuffed, dented and rusty in places.
It didn’t bother me a whit. I loved it all.
But I remember the look on my Dad’s face as he watched me haul them outta the bag.
He was ashamed.
I felt like saying something comforting…but didn’t.
My feelings of making the situation even harder on him by not saying ‘it’s OK’ won out.
Every Christmas after that was huge.

Funny, not haha funny, but oddly strange, my thoughts on his mental processes.
For years I rather pitied him for toiling to get us what he thought was what we wanted.
Him, the bread winner, the toy winner, the house, food and warmth provider.
How he fell head first into the American dream…the freaking nightmare.
But in my early years of fatherhood I came to understand.
He was from an era that dictated those things….’things’.

Christmas 1972
We were a tad impoverished.
Poverty stricken was a status I was striving for.
We managed a few meager toys from the five and dime, and wrapped them in newspaper, placing them under the tree limb from the neighbor’s backyard that had miraculously blown down from one of their giant firs.
We watched the boys unwrap their tinsel strength early China bobbles.
They lasted almost long enough to get ‘em outta the newspaper, disintegrating in their little ink stained hands.
However, as my lady wiped last Wednesday’s headlines from their fingers so they could drink their mug of hot cinnamon tea and suck one their tiny candy canes, I whipped out to the truck to bring in the toy of toys…the one that would give back.

My eldest named the little puppy from the pound, Felix.
Felix the dog…hey, it was original.
Only he was too young to pronounce the name Felix, so it came out ‘juwix’.
The thing is, a few moments after cleaning up the vomit and diarrhea from the truck seat, floorboard and doors, and myself, it dawned on me that Felix may not have been the best of finds.
The next morning my eldest seemed to have lost track of him, so we both went looking.

‘Juwix….Juuuuwix…heeeere Juwix’

I got a kick out of his determination in locating his new little buddy, trudging around the yard, big cheeks housed upon his tiny neck earnestly calling out with his baby Elmer Fudd like voice…‘Juwix….Juuuuwix…heeeere Juwix’.

Unfortunately we found Juwix.
He was under a gap in the wood pile…rather stiff.
So, as my Dad, twenty some years before, I vowed to provide a better Christmas for the years to come.
Not lavish ones, but ones that bore a couple substantial gifts for each of my little beings.

Christmas now?

Keep yer tie money.

...and, over the years, I've kinda turned the tables a bit

what I do 2.jpg

My family does a big combination of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and several birthdays that are around this time of year. Living as we do, spread out all over the U.S., this celebration is the one time of year that all of us (or most, anyway) manage to get together. The first of them will arrive tomorrow morning.

On Thanksgiving, we have dinner at my son's house, and he puts up his (artificial) tree, for everyone to decorate. That kicks off the season. We follow it with dinner and sometimes some sort of entertainment. This year, I am giving all of them DVD's made from slides of our family starting off when my husband and I were dating. Most of them are in them, except for the youngest, who came along in the digital era, after we stopped taking slides.

Then, we have dessert, which is a birthday cake, and give gifts to the birthday people.

Works for us every year, anyway.

I feel kinda sorry for the Bah Humbug crowd. Religion aside, I view Christmas as a time to get together with family, and friends, and just celebrate life. This is not to say I dismiss the religious aspect, because I don't. But, it's still a great time to celebrate, even if you don't believe. Call it Yuletide, or whatever. Just make it a time to be kind, and give of yourself, and enjoy.

A sad time for me and my 5th Christmas without my Husband who passed away in 2015. We met in 1959 as teenagers was wed in 1964. Have a great family and good friends and will be with family for the two days.

sorry to hear that crackerjack .....i dread losing my hubby...hes my only close family, apart from my elderly parents ,who i havnt seen in 5yrs...they are aged 95.....x

We don’t do much at our house, but we do enjoy riding around seeing all the decorations.
:D
3ce6dd781d78e7226bf9d5104f6bcd31.jpg

I love Christmas It's my favorite season! I am completely ridiculous at Christmas. We both get into it. Photo evidence. 🤣
View attachment 82590
Hey, guys, so wish you could see this check out gal at our fav market. Today she had a turkey headband, a
" lots of feathers" TU TU over her leggings and the craziest necklace and earrings. Her check out line is always the longest. No matter how busy we are I tell hub "just suck it up and get in line behind Candy". What a hoot, gotta love her!

When I was younger, much younger, I enjoyed watching all of the Christmas TV specials. Even guys like; Andy Williams, John Denver, Bob Hope and the rest of them. A lot of good, sometimes funny entertainment with plenty of Christmas songs thrown in. It really helped to make the holiday a little more merrier.

Yanno what? I miss those Christmas specials, too. Maybe it was just a simpler time and people watched them instead of racing around, working late, delivering/picking up kids from lessons. You know the advertisers were calculating how much good their advertising dollars would do.

Back