Colin Powell former Secretary of State died from Covid complications

I just learned on the radio he had blood cancer, I didn't hear this reported on the TV news earlier so I guess I didn't know all the facts when I posted.

That said, I got the vaccine early, first dose in late December 2020. I somehow just knew this wasn't going to stop Covid 19 for those who were vaccinated. I don't know why but I just didn't.

You went too far using the words "vaccination bashing" and "have some respect" (kind of egregious really) toward me. I have mentioned I'm fully vaccinated and I'll get the booster when offered through my job. Never have I made any anti-vax statement here and I don't think my post was. It was just how I felt and has turned out to be the reality. Face it, fully vaccinated people are turning up positive from Covid 19.

Also edit to add: My face (in full PPE) has been inches from active Covid patients and I'm clearly not young. Perhaps think of those of us are doing the work many wouldn't go near with a 10 foot pole.
Vaccinated people are desperate for confidence-boosting information; all they want to hear is how wonderfully effective the vaccine is. Their confidence was shaky to begin with. That's one reason why they're constantly bashing & blaming those who don't choose to get vaccinated.

I just learned on the radio he had blood cancer, I didn't hear this reported on the TV news earlier so I guess I didn't know all the facts when I posted.

That said, I got the vaccine early, first dose in late December 2020. I somehow just knew this wasn't going to stop Covid 19 for those who were vaccinated. I don't know why but I just didn't.

You went too far using the words "vaccination bashing" and "have some respect" (kind of egregious really) toward me. I have mentioned I'm fully vaccinated and I'll get the booster when offered through my job. Never have I made any anti-vax statement here and I don't think my post was. It was just how I felt and has turned out to be the reality. Face it, fully vaccinated people are turning up positive from Covid 19.

Also edit to add: My face (in full PPE) has been inches from active Covid patients and I'm clearly not young. Perhaps think of those of us are doing the work many wouldn't go near with a 10 foot pole.
I did not go too far, in my opinion.

I don’t care who is vaccinated and who is not vaccinated. I do not care about any ones opinion on these issues. I have posted this many times. This thread is not about Covid or vaccination issues or you.

This thread was and is about the death of a great American-an American who dedicated his life in service to the USA. I still have not seen you show any respect or grief over his death. But perhaps I missed those words, if so please point me to the post where you did so.

Otherwise, I still think you are disrespectful to his memory.

I'm not impressed with your jumping to false conclusions. Read up on multiple myeloma.

Vaccinated people are desperate for confidence-boosting information; all they want to hear is how wonderfully effective the vaccine is. Their confidence was shaky to begin with. That's one reason why they're constantly bashing & blaming those who don't choose to get vaccinated.
Confidence would be nice but we know that variants arise. What I am desperate for is the truth. As new knowledge emerges the situation changes. If more people were vaccinated the virus would have less opportunity to evolve.

Vaccinated people are desperate for confidence-boosting information; all they want to hear is how wonderfully effective the vaccine is. Their confidence was shaky to begin with.
I can't speak for all the vaccinated but I don't believe this is true for me. What I want to hear is the science behind it, particularly the good epidemiological studies that statistically examine the rates of infection and outcomes of those with and without. That and the rate and nature of adverse reactions to the vaccine. Good news or bad I just want the truth. That is what helps people make rational decisions concerning the vaccine.

No disrespect meant to Colin Powell. I believe he was a great man, who tried to do the right things. Not that I agreed with all he said and did, but that's not important...

Last edited:
I can't speak for all the vaccinated but I don't believe this is true for me. What I want to hear is the science behind it, particularly the good epidemiological studies that statistically examine the rates of infection and outcomes of those with and without. That and the rate and nature of adverse reactions to the vaccine. Good news or bad I just want the truth. That is what helps people make rational decisions concerning the vaccine.

No disrespect meant to Colin Powell. I believe he was a great man, who tried to do the right things. Not that I agreed with all he said and did, but that's not important...
Powell admitted when he was wrong, and tried to some extent, to right the wrong, but there's not much you can do once the toothpaste is out of the tube. (Note: need a better metaphor.)

Powell admitted when he was wrong, and tried to some extent, to right the wrong, but there's not much you can do once the toothpaste is out of the tube. (Note: need a better metaphor.)
When someone admits he was wrong or admits he lied (which Powell did), I look at when he made that admission. When someone makes that admission only after he was forced to because of proof, it doesn't make him honorable; he's just trying to save face.

The fact that the vaccine didn't protect him has nothing to do with respect for him. No one is blaming him for the vaccine's failure.
"...vaccine's failure." Wrong again.
Powell had numerous risk factors for such a breakthrough infection: He had been treated for a rare blood cancer called multiple myeloma, he had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, and he had a history of prostate cancer. The combination of those chronic conditions and his advanced age placed him at a higher risk for a breakthrough infection. In addition, accumulating evidence suggests that patients with conditions such as multiple myeloma need third doses of an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) to achieve immunity. The third dose in immunocompromised people is distinct and different from the conversation around boosters.

"...vaccine's failure." Wrong again.
Powell had numerous risk factors for such a breakthrough infection: He had been treated for a rare blood cancer called multiple myeloma, he had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, and he had a history of prostate cancer. The combination of those chronic conditions and his advanced age placed him at a higher risk for a breakthrough infection. In addition, accumulating evidence suggests that patients with conditions such as multiple myeloma need third doses of an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) to achieve immunity. The third dose in immunocompromised people is distinct and different from the conversation around boosters.
And medical experts push the vaccine (along with the flu vaccine) on people with all the conditions you mentioned.

Last edited:
General Powell was a really nice man, very intelligent, polite and was considered to be one of the good guys at the Pentagon. We often spoke, mostly about baseball. He was a Yankees fan and I was an Indians fan. Occasionally, we would make small bets when the two teams played one another.

He really liked the elder Bush, but not so much Junior. He never said this, but the signs were there.

Fully vaccinated. I knew I had no faith in that vaccination even though I've got it. It's too sad because he likely had years ahead of him.

Not likely. He was 84, had multiple myeloma ...no cancer is fun, but that's a particularly unfun one. He also had Parkinson's Disease. He died of a combination of things...Covid was the straw that broke a very overburdened camel's back. Any number of infections could have.

He always presented himself as a true statesman. Thank you for your service, General Powell. 🇺🇲

Last edited:
Talk about shaky confidence! You never give up promoting your p.o.v. Me thinks thou does protest too much.

The deniers/refusers continue to pedal misinformation about the vaccine. Vaccines are not 100% effective but there's a higher survival rate with when vaccinated. According to WHO, more than 2 billion worldwide are fully vaccinated.

Here is a case where a vaccinated person with comorbidities (multiple sclerosis, heart issues, etc) survived COVID-19 and now thankful to be still above ground.

"Fox News anchor Neil Cavuto has tested positive for Covid-19 and is urging people to get vaccinated.

“While I’m somewhat stunned by this news, doctors tell me I’m lucky as well. Had I not been vaccinated, and with all my medical issues, this would be a far more dire situation," Cavuto, 63, said in a statement.

Cavuto, who had open-heart surgery in 2016, was treated for cancer in the 1980s and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1997, has been open about his health challenges."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...l-cavuto-has-covid-19-urges-vaccines-n1281951

Unfortunately for Powell, the comorbidities had him at the edge of a grave and COVID-19 just tip him in.

A man that gave a lifetime of service to his country: RIP

I'm not an American citizen and therefore have no political leanings but to me, as an outsider, he always seemed like an intelligent, strong but gentle man doing his best to serve his country.
RIP Mr. Powel. You gave a lot and took little. The USA would be much better off with more like you leading the way (IMO).

OK, so the issue that I think that should be discussed and yet is passed over is that we have had more COVID deaths this year in 10 months and having 3 vaccines, monoclonal antibodies and at least 2 medications than all of last year with very little of anything to fight the Virus. Really? Oh, yeah, really!

Back