College campus protests news

Peace be with you and I hope you use your powers to spread peace, not hatred and wars fought by people who believe they are God's favorites and Israel was begun by this God telling Hebrews the land is for them and they are to kill every man, woman and child, and make the land theirs.

"Remember 'Teach-Ins' where we would learn, study, and discuss the history, etc. about what we were demonstrating about?"

Yes, but Pepper, that requires someone to read, discuss, think, and learn something. It's much more fun to get out there, preferably in costume, and chant slogans, and gum up the workings of the college that your parents are struggling to pay for.

I think the treatment of the innocent people stuck in Gaza has to be protested. It's barbaric. But as usual, antisemitism rears its ugly head every chance it gets. Where were all these student protestors on October 7, when the Israelis were the victims of the hatred of Hmas?

What do we think of the religious story that brings us to the present conflict over land?

“However, you must not let any living thing survive among the cities of these people the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance. You must completely destroy them – the Hethite, Amorite, Canaanite, Perizzite, Hivite, and Jebusite ….” (Deut. 20:16-18)

“Now go and attack the Amalekites and completely destroy everything they have. Do not spare them. Kill men and women, infants and nursing babies, oxen and sheep, camels and donkeys.” (1 Sam 15:3)

"Remember 'Teach-Ins' where we would learn, study, and discuss the history, etc. about what we were demonstrating about?"

Yes, but Pepper, that requires someone to read, discuss, think, and learn something. It's much more fun to get out there, preferably in costume, and chant slogans, and gum up the workings of the college that your parents are struggling to pay for.

I think the treatment of the innocent people stuck in Gaza has to be protested. It's barbaric. But as usual, antisemitism rears its ugly head every chance it gets. Where were all these student protestors on October 7, when the Israelis were the victims of the hatred of Hmas?
Where were the students? On the side of Palestine of course. This conflict has gone on since before 1948.

We can not do the whole history but we can work with a few high lights.
Following the Six-Day War of 1967, Israel declared that Israeli law would be applied to East Jerusalem and enlarged its eastern boundaries, approximately doubling its size. The action was deemed unlawful by other states who did not recognize it. It was condemned by the UN Security Council and General Assembly which described it as an annexation and a violation of the rights of the Palestinian population. In 1980, Israel passed the Jerusalem Law, which declared that "Jerusalem, complete and united, is the capital of Israel".[25] The Security Council declared the law null and void in Resolution 478, which also called upon member states to withdraw their diplomatic missions from the city. The UN General Assembly has also passed numerous resolutions to the same effect.[26][27][28]

And Trump made matters worse by making it possible for Israel to move its capital to Jerusalem and for Israel to take more land from the Palestinians with the establishment of Trump Village.

Trump Heights (Hebrew: רמת טראמפ, romanized: Ramat Trump, [ʁaˈmat ˈtʁamp]) is a planned Israeli settlement in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights named after and in honour of Donald Trump, the 45th President of the United States.

Trump Heights - Wikipedia

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Trump_Heights
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Heights#:~:text=Trump Heights (Hebrew: רמת טראמפ,President of the United States.

Our media has totally failed us by neglecting the reporting essential to our understanding of the problem. While students are being arrested the professors are not held accountable for the students protesting the wrongs they are learning about in college. What educators have to do with the students' protest isn't news?

Vida May, on October 7, the students were on the side of the Palestinian terrorists who killed over 1000 people for no reason at all except sheer hatred? You really believe that's the side American students were on?

I doubt that they were on any side at all when that attack started this whole thing. They couldn't care less. They only started caring when the Israelis retaliated.

I think, if I were in Europe for an extended vacation, I would try to visit one of the camps because I like history and historic sites, but I know it would break my heart.

I have only visited the Holocaust Museum in D.C. and that was tough enough. So, I don't know if I could deal with a camp. Did you ever read "Night" by Ellie Weisel? I have. Such a powerful book.

It seems that not all states even require teens to learn about the Holocaust in high school. So, we have a SERIOUS problem if that is the case.

Survey finds 'shocking' lack of Holocaust knowledge in people under 40
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/29/us/holocaust-marjorie-taylor-greene-states-trnd/index.html
Politifact takes issue with the stats noted above:
How familiar are US students with the Holocaust?

So, IDK. Would be nice if the Dept. of Education did a survey about this topic every 3 to 5 years, right? And about reading comprehension, basic math comprehension, etc.

But I still think if the college students really want changes, they should form an organization and send their reps to go talk to Israeli leaders. It's not North Vietnam in the 1960s - Israel will let them in! They don't have to be famous, rich or powerful. They just have to have the money to afford the trip and go through proper protocol to talk to the elected leaders.
We visited the Holocaust Museum in Dallas and it was fascinating, educational and heartbreaking at the same time. I didn't realize I had so little knowledge about what really happened during the Hitler regime. It was truly eye-opening.

What do we think of the religious story that brings us to the present conflict over land?

“However, you must not let any living thing survive among the cities of these people the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance. You must completely destroy them – the Hethite, Amorite, Canaanite, Perizzite, Hivite, and Jebusite ….” (Deut. 20:16-18)

“Now go and attack the Amalekites and completely destroy everything they have. Do not spare them. Kill men and women, infants and nursing babies, oxen and sheep, camels and donkeys.” (1 Sam 15:3)
This is an explanation of these verses. In biblical history God has destroyed those who are unrepentant. It is to be this way in the end too I believe.

Why did God command the extermination / genocide of the Canaanites, women and children included? | GotQuestions.org

Is anyone following the news about the chaos taking place on many of our college campuses? This stupidity reminds me of the similiar protests that took place in 1970...regarding the Vietnam War.
What is stupid about protesting to bring attention to abuses against a group? Seems like that should be considered a good thing because it indicates that young people aren't all about drinking, drugs and self absorption.

I also knew a guy who served in Vietnam and when he came back, he was a wrecked man. According to his brother who I knew much better (he was my husbands best man), before he went away, he was cheerful and interested in life. When we met him, he was morose, broken and drank too much and did too much drugs. He died within a couple years of getting back. So protesting against terrible things that governments do is never a bad thing in my opinion.

It is nothing like the Vietnam protests. Nothing. I woke up today thinking "Why is there no music?" Why no Dylan, Pete Seeger, Peter Paul & Mary? Because the people behind this are filled with hate. Most of them are dupes. Ask yourselves----where did all the tents come from? How is everyone wearing those ugly scarves and masks with the Palestinian pattern? WHO IS GIVING THEM OUT?
Where are they coming from? Why are they wearing masks like cowards? During Vietnam, young men bravely and publicly burned their draft cards.
The people behind those protests are filled with compassion and caring for 34,000+ men, women and children who've been butchered by a rogue government. They care that people are getting their legs and arms blown off, that hundreds of children are made orphans every week, that mothers and fathers are burying all their children at once and that none of those people have a home to go to anymore because of that rogue government.

I have just one question here. Who made the decision to go to war or to kill those people in Auschwitz? I am of the understanding that those were decisions made by man. So it is hardly God's fault that people died. According to the Bible we will all die. At some point and time we will all eventually die. God has never promised us immortality. Only eternity for those who believe and do His will. We will naturally all die in a variety of ways. How can you not believe in God?
To believe in God is one thing, but to believe in a God who intervenes out of love for his creation is a non-starter for me.

10 Historically Significant Political Protests

I think some of you don't understand protest, and how it works. No-one expects Netanyahu to pull out because of the student marches. What these protests do is mark a point in time, and the overall effect won't be known for many years.
They also draw people's attention back to this horrible issue and that keeps it from being forgotten or ignored as it has been for decades. Each time Israel kills thousands, the rest of the world (governments) move a little closer to saying enough is enough and hopefully sooner rather than later, those governments will start treating Israel's government the way it did the S. African government 30+ years ago. Sanctions, boycotts and the cessation of military and financial support until they start behaving better and offer the Palestinians the same respect and equal rights that they want to live under.

One of the main thrusts of these campus demonstrations is the BDS movement.
I wonder how many of the demonstrators know what BDS is and that it supports the destruction of the State of Israel and its citizens.

It's one thing to protest with true concern for the lives lost & being lost & wanting to destroy the State of Israel and its citizens.
I'd be willing to bet that they all know what BDS means. And boycotting, divesting and sanctioning the state of Israel does not mean you want the destruction of Israel. It's an effort to force them to deal fairly and justly with the Palestinians, including not stealing their land and homes, not imprisoning their children in military prisons and not depriving them of everything, including hope for their futures.

And while you might find some who cheer for the horror of what Hamas did, there are still others who simply want all Palestinians to have the same rights and privileges that the Jews enjoy.

I'd be willing to bet that they all know what BDS means. And boycotting, divesting and sanctioning the state of Israel does not mean you want the destruction of Israel. It's an effort to force them to deal fairly and justly with the Palestinians, including not stealing their land and homes, not imprisoning their children in military prisons and not depriving them of everything, including hope for their futures.

And while you might find some who cheer for the horror of what Hamas did, there are still others who simply want all Palestinians to have the same rights and privileges that the Jews enjoy.

The decision to focus on settlements is part of the broader tactic to legitimize the BDS campaign, in order for NGOs to continue receiving support from foreign governments and private foundations that declare they do not support the objectives of BDS.
As’ad Abu Khalil, a central activist in the U.S., wrote (2012): “There should not be any equivocation on the subject. Justice and freedom for the Palestinians are incompatible with the existence of the state of Israel.”
Pro-BDS author Ahmed Moor stated (2010): “BDS does mean the end of the Jewish state…Ending the occupation doesn’t mean anything if it doesn’t mean upending the Jewish state itself.”
Co-founder of Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI) Omar Barghouti said, “The current phase has all the emblematic properties of what may be considered the final chapter of the Zionist project. We are witnessing the rapid demise of Zionism, and nothing can be done to save it, for Zionism is intent on killing itself. I, for one, support euthanasia.”
BDS and Antisemitism » ngomonitor

A different view of BDS than you have.

We visited the Holocaust Museum in Dallas and it was fascinating, educational and heartbreaking at the same time. I didn't realize I had so little knowledge about what really happened during the Hitler regime. It was truly eye-opening.

Tbh, what happening during that era is so terrible, it's difficult for anyone to take it in. That one set of humans would do these things to other humans is just mind-boggling. That it was done under a political agenda in (relatively) modern times is even more stunning. I don't think there's a way to understand it.

However, some are happily supporting the type of politics that move us back toward these atrocities. Knowingly. Which suggests, we've not learned as much as we should have. Not to mention, many of the horrors were not aimed at a particular religious belief.

You hit the nail on the head. I don't understand it either.

I think "free will" covers this, in that we can each choose to live by the laws/teachings of God, and not. Clearly, those responsible chose not to.

Which for me is the great flaw in a belief in God, because I don't understand why any creator would allow such pain and suffering. Surely you'd protect the innocent? If not, then what exactly is the point?

Still, the belief is what it is. Most beliefs seem to be predicated on the individual. I'd say, "well, God has never given me a reason to believe". Believers would say, "No, he has, you've just ignored him". So it's a circular argument.

For this reason all religions have a big advantage over normal life. They need not to give proof of their statements.

Well, it's an "advantage" for those that don't demand proof. They call that "faith". If you lack faith, then there are so many holes it's difficult not to fall over every other step. :D

Back