Computer technology vs. Smart Phones.

No matter how convenient, there's certain things I prefer not to do on my phone. Some I do on my tablet, others I have to be on my computer. I would never do Senior Forum on my phone and would only do Facebook if I absolutely had no other choice. I don't use my banking apps on my phone although I could now that I have a VPN on it.

What makes the phones (and tablets) so convenient are the apps. I remember before I got my iPhone years ago, I was hearing so much about apps. Seems people were going crazy for them and I wondered why. I found out when I got the iPhone. I've had Android devices for several years now but there's plenty of apps on them too. I recently realized it's much easier to navigate my pharmacy site using the app. There are a few other sites that I prefer using the apps over the computer. And of course, our emails are readily available without logging in. except I have a business email that is not accessible unless I log in and that's by choice.
I would never do banking on my phone, altho' my family do..... I would just be so terrified of losing my phone I wouldn't take it out .. my family tell me that as long as I have my phone locked it's very safe to do banking on it.. but nope I don't trust myself to always to remember to lock my phone, and or to not leave my phone on a table in a cafe.. or a supermarket checkout... or even have it stolen from my bag

I have a flip phone but only use it very seldom. Sometimes a month goes by and I don't even look at it. Anyway, walking the hallway this morning, I met this "little old lady" who asked me if I knew anything about her Apple phone. I said NO! I keep away from them. She told me she had a problem because she keeps getting all these adds and the "delete" button does not work. I said I'm sorry but I can't help her but suggested she find a 5 year old kid. Usually they can fix most things on computers or smartphones. Just kidding but not really!
she would be as well to find a teenager they would certainly have sorted it out for her, but her best bet would be to go to the Apple store...

I would never do banking on my phone, altho' my family do..... I would just be so terrifieded of losing my phone I wouldn't take it out .. my family tell me that as long as I have my phone locked it's very safe to do banking on it.. but nope I don't trust myself to always to remember to lock my phone, and or to not leave my phone on a table in a cafe.. or a supermarket checkout... or even have it stolen from my bag
HD...I would hope that you have it set up to log in and log out of your banking site using your phone just as you would on the computer. One should alway log off and close the browser (or banking app) right after visiting the site. I log into my banking apps using my tablet most of the time but prefer to log into my credit union using a web browser (tablet or computer) simply because their app is not as sophisticated as the banking apps.

HD...I would hope that you have it set up to log in and log out of your banking site using your phone just as you would on the computer. One should alway log off and close the browser (or banking app) right after visiting the site. I log into my banking apps using my tablet most of the time but prefer to log into my credit union using a web browser (tablet or computer) simply because their app is not as sophisticated as the banking apps.
No, because I don't have any banking set up on my phone Diva.. I refuse to do it..I do all my banking on my home Mac..

No, because I don't have any banking set up on my phone Diva.. I refuse to do it..I do all my banking on my home Mac..
I understand that but what I was pointing out is that anyone who chose to bank by phone wouldn't have to worry about their bank information being compromised (under normal circumstances) if they followed those steps. I hate it when people use the would "you" (when talking to me) when they mean someone else and now I've done it !! :cautious: But noticed I did use the world "One" and not 'you" in the next sentence. :)

I understand that but what I was pointing out is that anyone who chose to bank by phone wouldn't have to worry about their bank information being compromised (under normal circumstances) if they followed those steps. I hate it when people use the would "you" (when talking to me) when they mean someone else and now I've done it !! :cautious: But noticed I did use the world "One" and not 'you" in the next sentence. :)
yes I understand and that's what my family tell me, because they do use their phones for banking far more than they do their computers, but nope I'm not ready to trust myself with it...

No matter the device, banking sites want you to use a dropdown to log out. There should be an icon right at the top that says LOG OUT. It’s easy to become distracted at home and could be easier to forget while on a phone. Even though the bank logs you out within a few minutes, I’m not willing to chance that on my phone while out and about.

No matter the device, banking sites want you to use a dropdown to log out. There should be an icon right at the top that says LOG OUT. It’s easy to become distracted at home and could be easier to forget while on a phone. Even though the bank logs you out within a few minutes, I’m not willing to chance that on my phone while out and about.
My bank uses the icon at the Top that says Log Out ..no drop down menu

As someone in computer hardware engineering in 2 companies for over a decade and another 14 on Internet router/switching appliances, I refuse to do banking on any of my devices. Given access to otherwise supposedly secure hardware, a program like wireshark can record all Internet traffic. Fortunately for most of us peons, the few engineering savvy miscreants doing so are big game fishing.

computer.jpg
It served me well, in fact I still hand write
all my mail. E-mail was a requirement to
join this forum, but I can't think why, so I
got an email address. It's now defunct,
covered in dust and collecting cobwebs.

Last edited:
Computers used to drive me crazy -- constant frustration and repairs.

Now I have just a smart phone for everything. It's relatively idiot proof, and I quickly got used to typing with a stylus.

I have a cell phone, and it isn't smart, that for sure. Well it might be my fault, I bought a cheap one, paid for a few minutes and burned through them so fast because I didn't know how to turn it off. I don't know how to use it, so it lives in my scooter basket because if we have a problem when we are out on our scooters I can dial 911 with it. I figure anyone wants to talk to me, I have a perfectly good landline phone. If I am not home leave a message.

I have a cell phone, and it isn't smart, that for sure. Well it might be my fault, I bought a cheap one, paid for a few minutes and burned through them so fast because I didn't know how to turn it off. I don't know how to use it, so it lives in my scooter basket because if we have a problem when we are out on our scooters I can dial 911 with it. I figure anyone wants to talk to me, I have a perfectly good landline phone. If I am not home leave a message.
you don't know how to turn it off.. lol... go to youtube, type in the name and model of your phone, and get instructions.. (y)

Since this thread was started almost a year ago..I have yet another Iphone. It's not new.. it's the Iphone 12... which for those who don't know is 2 years younger than my previous Iphone X... the latest Model phone is the Iphone 14... In the past my husband would upgrade every year or every other year and I would get his old phone ( technically only a year or 2 old ).. but now he's gone.. DD is giving me her old phones.. so I've got a 2 year old Iphone now.. which altho' not new, is new to me.. and really the camera is much better than on my Iphone X

Back