Connecticut trooper on leave after profane rant caught on camera

Still doesn't negate the given that had Mr. Jette not been a jerk, he'd not have met Mr. Irritable Police Officer at that point in time. He wasn't a victim, he was the instigator of his own trouble.
I heard similar rationale after Michael Jackson's doctor killed him - "Well, Jackson asked the doctor for the drugs that killed him, so it wasn't the doctor's fault." That didn't fly then & it doesn't fly now. A doctor is a medical professional with education & training, so he is the only one qualified to determine what drugs to give a patient. A pop star is not qualified to make such decisions. That's why the doctor was found guilty & sentenced to 4 years in prison for manslaughter.

A police officer is a trained professional & is expected to act like one. Verbal harassment from a citizen is not a justification for this officer's criminal behavior. If a police officer is incapable of controlling himself, he lacks the emotional maturity for the job & has no business being a police officer. And anyone with a temper like that also shouldn't be permitted to possess a firearm; much less carry one in public. And I say that as a gun owner myself.

Here is an example of how a cop (who grew up) should act when provoked:

In your opinion .... While I admire his demeanor ,not all humans have the ability to display that ability each & every time it is tested. And of course the officer on the verge of retirement should be severely disciplined [because he did not] .....and I'm sure you know best ..... you always do ....<sarc>

In your opinion .... While I admire his demeanor ,not all humans have the ability to display that ability each & every time it is tested. And of course the officer on the verge of retirement should be severely disciplined [because he did not] .....and I'm sure you know best ..... you always do ....<sarc>
Quote:
"There is no excuse for acting like a criminal thug. No one forced him to be a cop. No one forces anyone to be anything."

Your point about the police having to uphold high standards is well made, and no doubt this experienced officer will have expected a strong reprimand or being retired early, or whatever sanction is applied. There is the public image of the police to consider beyond any individual officer's lapse in behaviour.
However I have to disagree with your last line above, people are forced to do all kinds of things in life, and be all kinds of things, far too numerous to mention. However we could start with "rape victim", so I can't understand where you got that notion, though I agree no one forced him to become a law enforcement officer(?).
The myth that cops who get out of line are "strongly reprimanded" comes from fictional TV cop shows. Not a reliable source for information.

Quote 1.:"There is no excuse for acting like a criminal thug. No one forced him to be a cop. No one forces anyone to be anything."
Qute 2.:The myth that cops who get out of line are "strongly reprimanded" comes from fictional TV cop shows. Not a reliable source for information.
My response 1.: Your point about the police having to uphold high standards is well made, and no doubt this experienced officer will have expected a strong reprimand or being retired early, or whatever sanction is applied. There is the public image of the police to consider beyond any individual officer's lapse in behaviour. However I have to disagree with your last line above, people are forced to do all kinds of things in life, and be all kinds of things, far too numerous to mention. However we could start with "rape victim", so I can't understand where you got that notion, though I agree no one forced him to become a law enforcement officer(?). My response 2. You failed to answer why you think you're the font of knowledge on this?

I've worked with several cops in related occupations. Where did you get your info that bad cops are strongly reprimanded?
And, how many cops in your family?
Heresay evidence then, and you're not saying you have law enforcement officers in your family, but those arguing with you on the level of discipline should have in order to have credibility(?). :unsure: .

Heresay evidence then, and you're not saying you have law enforcement officers in your family, but those arguing with you on the level of discipline should have in order to have credibility(?). :unsure: .
That's OK. We need to feel comfortable in whatever world we want to live in.

I've worked with several cops in related occupations. Where did you get your info that bad cops are strongly reprimanded?
And, how many cops in your family?

I worked 30 years for a mid-west PD ,in a behind the scene occupation. I always felt that in most cases , when discipline was called for and handed out .... it was appropriate.

As for your question .... I have no family. My father worked in the same capacity for 30 years before me.

Back