Considering Emigration or Retire Overseas?

goodness I would re-think that move = yes Ireland is lovely and not that expencive to live ; but why go and leave your country over
politics and whats happening there - if that was the case in the UK we would all be gone and !!!!!you wanna have this Brexit hanging over you just a nightmare ' but it will come right one way or another just as USA will - people dont last forever believe me ……...

We had a friend who remarried, then got laid off and found he didn't have enough $$$ after the divorce to retire in the U.S. Wife #2 had grown up in Central America and spoke fluent Spanish and English. He was a redneck - his words, not mine - so it took him a while to adjust his thinking to the inevitable.

They decided on Panama. English is the national language, altho he told us later that if locals know you don't speak Spanish, they jack up the prices immediately! Panama also makes it pretty easy for ex-pats. There is a large community around the country and in the majority they are Europeans. Americans were just starting to discover areas past Mexico, back then (around 2001).

A few things they learned during the two year process of emigration:
  1. The paperwork takes time - A LOT of time. Nobody is in any big hurry. Ever.
  2. Expect to do the "visiting visa dance" - probably several times. They would go down for six months, but have to leave for at least a day. At first they thought this was an opportunity to come back to the US to see friends/family, but it got expensive in a hurry. After the first year, they just went over the border to Ecuador for a few days, then returned to Panama.
  3. Biggest mistake they said they made was not establishing a bank account that accepted US account holders but had an office in Panama, before they moved. Due to the more rigorous paperwork banks now have to file on foreign accounts (so that the IRS can still get their traditional 'pound of flesh', LOL), many banks both in the USA and Panama refused to set up an account for them, flat out. They had to make at least two trips back to the US just to get this done - and his finances were fairly simple. I think all he had was a modest amount of personal savings and a SocSec check!
  4. The smart thing they did was to not tie themselves to any one area upon first arrival. They rented, and moved four times to various parts of Panama over the next few years after finally getting their permanent residency. There are advantages and disadvantages to every place, and they felt strongly that moving around enabled them to pick the perfect home they finally settled in.
  5. If you are not familiar with the language/culture, it can take quite a lot of time to grow accustomed to it. Our friend said he missed coffee - oddly they had to go over the border to Ecuador to buy good quality coffee beans even though Panama grows great beans (but they export it all!). He missed hamburgers - said it was hard enough just to find a decent burger, let alone a good steak - and pizza. On the good side, he lost weight and ate a lot of tree-ripened fruits :))
That's all I can think. HTH.

I would try out the place before permanently moving, you never know until you live there what the pros and cons are of a country, I would also do research before relocating even temporarily as there could be violence in a country that you’re not even aware of and you would not want to place yourself in a position where you’re in a foreign country and you don’t have family and friends around you that can help you out. Also healthcare is something to be taken into consideration, I would also research that before moving even temporarily to another country.

Spent a lot of time overseas, nice to visit a long time ago..
No, never even considered it when I retired, From living here I have learned you should live where you think you might want to live.
Have seen many come in here and they can't take it. Winter scares most of them.

When I lived in Europe I had a very difficult time with the weather there. I lived in Germany and it was overcast most of the time and I became very depressed. When the sun came out it was almost like a miracle LOL! I now live in Florida and I would miss my sunshine so much if I lived someplace that was overcast and rainy.

Thanks for the info everyone! We are just considering options and I have looked at several embassy sites. Not every country is clear about what to expect beyond a 90 day visa, or what they require for a permanent change - which could be discouraging for us. Ireland is off the table - we cannot afford it. Netherlands is a possibility. We know someone who moved to Panama - went well for her and she is still there but south is not for us. Guess we'll keep looking and thinking about it. We have lived overseas before - not bad a all and we easily afforded a house with an awesome view. Cannot do that here any more. So, just thinking about it all - nice to have choices. Would like to hear from any other ex-pats.

Thanks for the info everyone! We are just considering options and I have looked at several embassy sites. Not every country is clear about what to expect beyond a 90 day visa, or what they require for a permanent change - which could be discouraging for us. Ireland is off the table - we cannot afford it. Netherlands is a possibility. We know someone who moved to Panama - went well for her and she is still there but south is not for us. Guess we'll keep looking and thinking about it. We have lived overseas before - not bad a all and we easily afforded a house with an awesome view. Cannot do that here any more. So, just thinking about it all - nice to have choices. Would like to hear from any other ex-pats.
Check out this ex-pat forum =
https://www.expat.com/forum/

Maine is great but will wait and see the direction the country takes....
We recently returned from a “foreign” retirement area - South Carolina. The grass did indeed look greener before we moved there. But the social issues, very difficult. And if moving to South Carolina is anywhere near as difficult to absorb into, I’m guessing actual foreign countries could be less likely successful. I hear a lot of people overly involved with the news’ version of political disaster. I choose not to believe or take sides.

There is an unbelievable amount of nonsense going on in Washington, D.C. this fall (2019). If this continues past the next election, we are seriously considering moving overseas. We were looking at Ireland but the country just revised their immigration laws this past summer so that any immigrant must have proof of $50,000 of income PER PERSON.

We could also consider The Netherlands but I am having a really hard time finding rules, other than needing a Long Term Visa and passing a Civic Integration EXAM. We have lived overseas so are prepared for changes but would love to hear from anyone who has considered or made the move!!
As a ftrequent visitor to Western Europe, I can tell my fellow Americans that many Europeans view the USA as the most dangerous country. They view our country as less safe than Guatemala, Nicaragua or that other dangerous country - Chicago😊

Around 25 yrs ago we were on Holiday in Spain and happened to see a property that was for sale
we had a look at it and thought about buying it.
After a bit of family discussion we decided against it - a decision I regret to this day not meaning to
live over there just an investment really.

No, but I could kick my grandfather for moving here from Amsterdam.

I think it would have been way cool for me to have been born there.:)

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah.......I traveled, pretty extensively, as a young guy. Without exception, I choked up each and every time I touched down on US soil, and saw our flag waving, off the tarmac.

Yeah, you can become infatuated with this foreign country or that foreign country, but, if you were born in the USA, those countries will never be YOUR place of birth, the place you first set down (deep) roots.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a flag-waving, super patriot. I know there's so much wrong with the US. However, there's more wrong with most other countries. If there wasn't, the US wouldn't be the #1 choice for immigration.

Should you leave, permanently, best of luck to you. While I think you'll be making a big mistake, for many reasons, you might live out the rest of your days, in another country, with a big smile on your face. Only time will tell.

Another issue that I didn't see discussed (or maybe I missed it) is that the US is one of only two countries that imposes income tax based on Nationality NOT residency.

An American friend here in this little Scottish village is being hounded by the IRS because she has to file tax returns in the US although she resides in Scotland and has joint UK/US citizenship.
Not only that, but they want details of any joint bank accounts she has with her British partner. Even though she may not be liable to pay anything, the only way out of this hassle is to renounce her US citizenship.

There are a number of American ex-pats living in this area. It's a beautiful part of the world, and relatively cheap in UK terms.

Move to Kentucky, they will take anyone and show you love, I know because I once lived there. I have read that Oregon is a great place to live. Of all the places on this planet to live the United States of America is the best, just stop watching the idiots (news, political non sense etc) Arm yourself just in case ...and enjoy your grandchildren and pets and friends. I do this and I am as happy as if I had a stable mind. 💚
I agree....

Book on Norway tells me Northern Norway has warm Atlantic sea current and
weather is semi-tolerable. If you have 'backwoods' in your blood, seems the place to go.

Too old, too sick, too scared to go world hopping, would like to see North
Atlantic in the winter, one more time. Not on one of those mega-ships, a ship around 250 feet long gives you a good impression of the power within the ocean.
Watched those little fishing boats bob up and down, off of coast of GB, looked way too dangerous for me.

Posts-seems like a great deal of paperwork, countries want to do who's coming and who's going. I can understand that due to the various groups that wish us ill; didn't think it existed before 911?

Capt Lighting's post is a bit of a surprise; also, didn't know English was national language of Panama.

Too old, too sick, too scared to go world hopping, would like to see North
Atlantic in the winter, one more time. Not on one of those mega-ships, a ship around 250 feet long gives you a good impression of the power within the ocean.
Watched those little fishing boats bob up and down, off of coast of GB, looked way too dangerous for me.
I spent 4 years in the North Atlantic, part of the time on a 306 ft. DE and the rest on a converted seaplane tender (AVP) 311 ft. Our weather patrols consisted of relieving another cutter, staying within a 10 mile square for 21 days before being relieved by another cutter (or European weather patrol ship. The winter months could be horrendous as the weather is usually between bad and worse. LOL I was fortunate to not be prone to sea-sickness but some made one trip and were replaced and finished their 4 year tour on inshore rescue cutters or a lifeboat station.

The 4 weather stations were spaced along the northern circle used by planes flying between the stated and Europe, the furthest away being about 600 miles below Iceland. Not the nicest part of the oceans during the winter months.

Back