Considering Emigration or Retire Overseas?

Myquest55

There is an unbelievable amount of nonsense going on in Washington, D.C. this fall (2019). If this continues past the next election, we are seriously considering moving overseas. We were looking at Ireland but the country just revised their immigration laws this past summer so that any immigrant must have proof of $50,000 of income PER PERSON.

We could also consider The Netherlands but I am having a really hard time finding rules, other than needing a Long Term Visa and passing a Civic Integration EXAM. We have lived overseas so are prepared for changes but would love to hear from anyone who has considered or made the move!!

There is an unbelievable amount of nonsense going on in Washington, D.C. this fall (2019). If this continues past the next election, we are seriously considering moving overseas. We were looking at Ireland but the country just revised their immigration laws this past summer so that any immigrant must have proof of $50,000 of income PER PERSON. We could also consider The Netherlands but I am having a really hard time finding rules, other than needing a Long Term Visa and passing a Civic Integration EXAM. We have lived overseas so are prepared for changes but would love to hear from anyone who has considered or made the move!!
Have you considered that the as you put it, the unbelievable amount of nonsense going on in Washington, D.C. impacts the rest of the world? Or did you notice in your own comments that entry to live elsewhere has requirements, you don't just go to live there because you like wherever you feel you would like to live? Have you checked out what the legal penalties are if you think you can enter & live wherever undocumented? Or that no matter how much unbelievable amount of nonsense going on in Washington, D.C. there are still both legal & illegal seeking to live here in America.

Of course we would only go as legal residents or emigrate with permission. One does not simply get on a plane and hope to stay there! With an international credit union membership, we should have no problem with finances - IF we could prove our situation would meet the requirements for moving there. THOSE rules are the ones I am trying to pin down. There would be much to do before actually making the move. Am hoping to hear from others that have considered or actually done this.

Lived in other countries when I was young. Would never consider it now, would never leave my little family.

"the direction the country takes.... " how melodramatic, sorry. I know what you are alluding to, as on this forum we can only allude! and share your concerns, but really.

I recently returned from a trip to Ireland, partly to see if it might be some place that I would like to live in the near future. It is truly a beautiful country and the people are genuine and kind. However, I did a bit of research before leaving and also spoke to many locals while there. Ireland is an expensive place to live.

They give huge tax breaks to major corporations, they have allowed Chinese companies to drill for oil just off the coast of Ireland, the rich are getting massively richer, they have the third highest rate of cancer in the world, there is serious problem with homelessness and the government is corrupt (not my words but rather those of the dozens of locals I spoke to). So, while I love the Emerald Isle and would welcome the chance to visit there again, I've ruled it out as a retirement destination.

Thanks for your input Leann! I know it will be a process and a lot of work but we are certainly thinking about the option. I was able to access a significant amount of information for Ireland. Unfortunately, the required income for Ireland is out of our reach, as a couple. I had heard that Canada has been overwhelmed with inquiries and applications so, thought it MIGHT be easier somewhere else. I am hoping we can do online research before having to make phone calls. Interesting how some requirements are easier to find than others. Hope you enjoyed your trip!!

Move to Kentucky, they will take anyone and show you love, I know because I once lived there. I have read that Oregon is a great place to live. Of all the places on this planet to live the United States of America is the best, just stop watching the idiots (news, political non sense etc) Arm yourself just in case ...and enjoy your grandchildren and pets and friends. I do this and I am as happy as if I had a stable mind. đź’š

There must be some ex-pat sites on the web.
In the past I was reading some of those sites, I was just curious not looking to live elsewhere. Like @peppermint said, I would never want to live elsewhere than in the good old USA.

Many spoke about how they could live in Mexico on social security alone and could even afford a maid. Then I read about some who bought a house in some community there and the government decided that the builder did not get the right permits and their houses were taken away from them. It was some time ago, I forget all the details. Here's an article about ex-pats in Mexico.
https://www.businessinsider.com/american-move-to-mexico-2019-5#you-should-rent-before-you-buy-1

Last edited:
There is an unbelievable amount of nonsense going on in Washington, D.C. this fall (2019). If this continues past the next election, we are seriously considering moving overseas. We were looking at Ireland but the country just revised their immigration laws this past summer so that any immigrant must have proof of $50,000 of income PER PERSON. We could also consider The Netherlands but I am having a really hard time finding rules, other than needing a Long Term Visa and passing a Civic Integration EXAM. We have lived overseas so are prepared for changes but would love to hear from anyone who has considered or made the move!!
Here is an article I found, haven't read it yet. Re the "nonsense going on in DC'' that nonsense changes every 4-8 years.
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-20-best-countries-for-expats-2014-10

Come on, folks! WHY we want to go is not up for discussion. I am looking for input on the PROCESS and if anyone else has faced a similar decision or made any plans. We already made one move here - and after years of moving around, I know the drill. We also have traveled and lived overseas during that time so have a pretty good idea of what to expect but yes, a trip before hand is a great idea. I am just exploring options AND perhaps is it not as easy as we hope OR it is entirely doable. Thanks for everyone's input.

I agree that there's a lot of stuff going on in Washington now, but there is also a lot of stuff going on in much of the rest of the world. You might jump from frying pan to fire.

The view you get from visiting another country is not necessarily the reality of actually living in the place, especially if you have no real ties there (like family, etc.). The cost of actually living (especially housing) in many places is a lot higher than it appears from the outside.

As PVC mentioned above, I also know several people who thought they could move to Mexico and live the life of Riley, but most of them have come back after finding that all was not what they expected and there were huge tradeoffs in terms of availability of services, lifestyle, safety, etc.

If money were no object and I didn't have so many pets, I would live one month in many places, especially Europe and New Zealand (heard it's like a Garden of Eden there). During that one month I would visit all the towns and places nearby. Since I can't, I live vicariously by watching travel shows on TV. Sigh!

Move to Kentucky, they will take anyone and show you love, I know because I once lived there. I have read that Oregon is a great place to live. Of all the places on this planet to live the United States of America is the best, just stop watching the idiots (news, political non sense etc) Arm yourself just in case ...and enjoy your grandchildren and pets and friends. I do this and I am as happy as if I had a stable mind. đź’š
Arm yourself would be a huge deterrent for me. Many Americans are moving to Mexico. The cost of living factor.

Just a reminder that not only is the repulblic of Ireland very expensive now to live and also they use Euros as their currency.. and Northern Ireland is going through brexit with the rest of the Uk currently., and no-one has any real idea what the impact will be on Southern Ireland. ..just so you're aware!!

Look at Spain or Portugal. Low cost of entry, smaller income threshold.

After a year you can apply for permanent residency. Once you have residency you can move anywhere in the EU. I would highly recommend spending 3 months in a country you are considering (90 days is the longest time a US citizen can stay in the EU). For Spain you need to then return to the US, rent someplace for a year and have 1 yr of health insurance coverage for EU.

Back