Controversial Threads-Topics

ClassicRockr

Do you give it some thought, before doing a Thread/Topic that you know would be somewhat-to-highly controversial? Have you said to yourself, "No way" or "Oh well, might as well"? Would you do a Thread/Topic that you know, without a doubt, people will definitely disagree with you about AND let you know how much they disagree?

I remember my last Director/Supervisor told me "think twice before talking about sex, religion or politics anywhere. Everyone has an opinion and those opinions could be quite different than yours."

Some folks will slam a person quite roughly due to a Thread/Topic they done.

So, how bold, or smart, can you be when it comes to doing a controversial topic? Bold, meaning doing it and Smart, meaning not.

I don't start many threads because I'm just too lazy.

IMO reasonable people should be able to offer an opinion on any topic without the need to make it personal or disagreeable, at least that should be the goal.
[FONT=&quot]
"If you have learned how to disagree without being disagreeable, then you have discovered the secret of getting along - whether it be business, family relations, or life itself." - Bernard Meltzer [/FONT]

I never discuss religion or politics period!! Not on forums, not in person, except for a very few select people. Sex on the other hand is wide open for discussion as far as I’m concerned!! :playful:

I am sometimes surprised to discover a subject subject is a hot button. I don’t think it’s happened here so far, but it has on other forums I’m on or have been a part of.

I'm not a big thread starter and I do tend to give the most controversial topics a wide berth mainly because
there are always those trouble makers who thrive on these topics by deliberately winding people up them.

My personal motto is - If you can't agree - then agree to disagree - that way you have at least agreed on something .
I used to have that in my signature on one site :)

This site banning politics was a good idea.I usually steer clear of serious threads although I admit to having just done some winding up on another site.i like asking and answering less serious questions.You won't get anything controversial from me ;)

Sorry, Cee Cee, but have to say this...…….don't even have to be on a forum to hear controversy. When we tell people here we are moving, we get the "no way", like a silent "are you nuts?"

However, it does seem like, when a controversial Thread is done, not to many-to-none at all, come to the defense or agree with the OP.

One controversial Thread could/would be, however not from me...........I Love McDonald's!

Sorry, Cee Cee, but have to say this...…….don't even have to be on a forum to hear controversy. When we tell people here we are moving, we get the "no way", like a silent "are you nuts?"

However, it does seem like, when a controversial Thread is done, not to many-to-none at all, come to the defense or agree with the OP.

One controversial Thread could/would be, however not from me...........I Love McDonald's!

To be honest, I don’t think it’s the subject itself that bothers people but the fact that you obsess about it and that might be the case also in real life.

I don’t like tattoos either and I would agree with you on that but you overdo it.

To be honest, I don’t think it’s the subject itself that bothers people but the fact that you obsess about it and that might be the case also in real life.

I don’t like tattoos either and I would agree with you on that but you overdo it.

One of my so-called "personality problems" is that I can be too outspoken on things I don't like. My wife is outspoken, but basically in the privacy of our living room.

Thing is, each and every day I read about another shooting and/or murder here, like last night when 6 guys were shot. One died and another is in very serious condition. Nothing like this happens in northern Colorado. I know because I've got the iPhone News apps of both cities up there. Absolutely can't wait until we leave.

One of my so-called "personality problems" is that I can be too outspoken on things I don't like. My wife is outspoken, but basically in the privacy of our living room.

Thing is, each and every day I read about another shooting and/or murder here, like last night when 6 guys were shot. One died and another is in very serious condition. Nothing like this happens in northern Colorado. I know because I've got the iPhone News apps of both cities up there. Absolutely can't wait until we leave.

Time to take your sleeping bags and go and camp out in Colorado, ..

Time to take your sleeping bags and go and camp out in Colorado, ..

I figure you're teasing with me here, but I'm wondering...…….nobody on this forum has ever lived someplace they wound up not liking at all, for whatever reasons, and simply can't move that quickly?

Anyway, my Thread here isn't about our move, but about controversial Threads.

Would you do a Thread/Topic that you know, without a doubt, people will definitely disagree with you about AND let you know how much they disagree?

Yes. See any of my posts about Diana.

I know they will always cause controversy.

If I post abut stuff which does not directly concern me, which I try not to do anyway, like American gun law and politics I try to do so objectively, without giving offence,

I think we need to push the boundaries a bit sometimes, you can play it too safe and things get boring

We all seem pretty respectful of each other’s personal opinions and mature enough to know we will not necessarily agree on certain topics

Someone here said that banning politics here was a good thing?...........Really?.........I disagree completely.

Politics are the one thing that effects us all , now matter what we try we cannot avoid them and their effect on us. We simply must live under our government, and politics is what decides what our government will or will not be.

IMO discussing them is actually very important . The politicians themselves hear the "talk" . How else are they going to hear our voice?

The days of Mr. so & so goes to Washington are over.

Sticking our collective heads in the sand, [essentially what banning them does] is never a good idea for important issues/topics.

Controversial is not the issue.

A group of intelligent, sensible adults should be able to discuss and exchange ideas freely on any subject without rancor considering the anonymity of the internet. The problem is the maturity level of the participants. The anonymity brings out the bully in those so inclined.

Controversial is not the issue.

A group of intelligent, sensible adults should be able to discuss and exchange ideas freely on any subject without rancor considering the anonymity of the internet. The problem is the maturity level of the participants. The anonymity brings out the bully in those so inclined.

So true, so very true!! Unfortunately the majority lose out because of the minority as usual

Someone here said that banning politics here was a good thing?...........Really?.........I disagree completely.

Politics are the one thing that effects us all , now matter what we try we cannot avoid them and their effect on us. We simply must live under our government, and politics is what decides what our government will or will not be.

IMO discussing them is actually very important . The politicians themselves hear the "talk" . How else are they going to hear our voice?

The days of Mr. so & so goes to Washington are over.

Sticking our collective heads in the sand, [essentially what banning them does] is never a good idea for important issues/topics.

I agree with you about banning politics and the many issues that go along with it.

A subject like politics only works if the people participating in the conversation are willing to do so in a constructive and respectful way.

When people get frustrated we always seem to end up down in the mud and never find common or at least dry ground. :):playful::eek:nthego:

HillaryObamaMudSlinging-1.gif

I like that there is a rest from politics on this forum. However, I have read some religious threads & posts here that seemed a tad bit contentious and it appears that is permitted. On the internet, there is so much to choose from that if one's needs aren't met on one forum it may be found on other forums elsewhere on the web.

Back