Cowboy Heros

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Moore

"Moore often was quoted as saying he had "fallen in love with the Lone Ranger character" and strove in his personal life to take The Lone Ranger Creed to heart. This, coupled with his public fight to retain the right to wear the mask, made Moore and his character inseparable."

"In 1964 Clayton moved to Golden Valley, Minnesota with his wife and daughter to be closer to his wife's family in Minneapolis. He obtained a Minnesota real estate license, established Ranger Realty, and helped to develop the area that is now north of Interstate 394 near the Louisiana Avenue exit. During that time he once came upon the scene of a crime and untied a grocery store manager shortly after the store had been robbed, apparently quipping, "You have just been rescued by the Lone Ranger."

"One of Moore’s personal appearances in character became the basis of a story that actor Jay Thomas told every year around Christmas beginning in 2000. Thomas was a radio disc jockey at the time in North Carolina and happened to be doing a show at a car dealership where Moore was appearing in character as The Lone Ranger. Moore had been stranded at the dealership, and Thomas offered him a ride back to his hotel."
"On the way, a passing motorist struck Thomas’ Volvo with enough force to break a headlight. Thomas gave chase and eventually cornered the man in a parking lot where he threatened to press charges. The driver of the other car taunted Thomas by saying nobody would believe his story, but Moore emerged from the back seat of the car — still wearing his costume — and said “they’ll believe me, citizen” to the stunned driver."

Last edited:
iu

My Hollywood cowboy hero is Tom Mix. He was friends with my ranching family in Arizona. My real cowboy heroes are my great aunts and uncles and cousins. Nix creased his hat patterned after one of my great uncle's styles that became famous when he won All-Around Cowboy in Madison Square Garden two years in a row. The photo on the left is of Nix in Prescott, Arizona. The photo on the right is of a great cousin (my grandpa's niece), a friend of Tom Nix. Her family mentored Nix in real cowboy ways and he actually became the real deal.
69729a.jpgCC .jpg

Last edited:

Clint Eastwood: Here’s How the Cowboy Icon Landed His First Role in a Western​

written by Will Shepard February 28, 2021
clint-eastwood-heres-how-cowboy-icon-landed-first-role-in-western

"Arguably one of the best actors to ever grace Western cinema, Clint Eastwood is an icon. His work in Westerns over his career has been outstanding. But, how did he get his start in that particular part of the industry?
It is fascinating how Clint Eastwood landed his first role in a Western. However, the first Western that the legendary actor was in was an uncredited role in a little-known movie. He played a ranch hand in the 1955 movie called Law Man, which is also known as Star in the Dust."

"While the role was small, it got Clint Eastwood excited about the prospects of acting in Westerns. As everyone knows today, it seems that he was destined to play a cowboy in his career. As a tough-looking, tall, handsome man, he fits the role exceedingly well."

Lucille Agatha Mulhall (1885-1940) -
OIP.XB7s-P-uY0RBtgcREKGEfgAAAA

"Entertainer. She was a cowgirl wild west rodeo performer and businesswoman. Growing up on a ranch in Oklahoma by age 10 she was an expert at riding, throwing a rope, and branding calves. Her father, Zack Mulhall had a Wild West Show that included Will Rogers, Ellison Carroll, and Tom Mix."

"Madison Outhier may only be 16 years old, but she's already a roping champion. This high school teen beat out 481 competitors during the world champion breakaway roping event at the American Rodeo - lassoing in the $100,000 grand prize."

Tom Mix's restored Cord 812 to appear at Arizona Concours d'Elegance (2013)

tom-mix-1937-cord-812.jpg

"Tom Mix's background as a cowboy, ranch hand, law enforcement officer and circus performer ultimately led him to the silver screen, and by the 1920s, Mix was arguably America's most beloved action hero. "

"His passion for fast cars was well known, and on October 12, 1940, Mix died behind the wheel of his 1937 Cord 812 supercharged phaeton, killed by excessive speed, a washed-out bridge and an unsecured metal suitcase, which struck the former action star in the head, fracturing his skull and breaking his neck. "

"Nowadays restored to its condition when Mix owned it, the Cord will appear in January at the debut Arizona Concours d'Elegance."

image.jpg

"John Wayne's opening scene of 1971's Big Jake. Some cattle ranchers are attempting to hang a sheep herder who they believe are infringing on their grazing land. Jake is content to leave them alone until he witnesses them abusing a young boy and rides in to save the day. "

Best Character Introduction in Cinema History - John Wayne - Big Jake

Born in 1933, my first cowboy hero was the Lone Ranger on radio. Don't recall how old I was when I started listening, but by the time it hit TV my interest (in the Lone ranger) had waned as I don't remember watching on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I closed my eyes and imagined rocking on the porch while listening to Little Joe the Wrangler.
He just about rocked me to sleep if it wasn't my for my toe-tapping keeping me awake. Goodnight and TY Meanderer

I, too, was born in 1933. I vaguely recall listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio, but paid more attention to the William Tell Overture than his show. My hero years later was Roy Rogers, who I was going to marry when I grew up. (oh yeah).

Ironically, when I was 21, his wife was my patient and when I met Roy, all I could ponder was, "what was I thinking?" He still looked the same, was a lovely, but rather shy man, but definitely not my type at all.

Tom Mix: The First Western Superstar

Tom%20Mix.jpg

Tom Mix began his career with the 101 Ranch Wild West Show.

"From 1910-1917, he was bouncing all over the West, filming two-reelers in small towns like Prescott, Arizona, and Las Vegas, New Mexico. By 1921, he started making five-reelers on a regular basis, and his contract at Fox was amazing—he ultimately earned more than $900,000 a year, before Fox turned him loose in 1928."

"In 1923, Wyatt Earp served as a consultant on Wild Bill Hickok, starring William S. Hart. Earp asked Hart to convince the studios to make a movie about him. By that time, though, Hart’s career was crashing and Mix was the new kid on the block, so Earp also made his pitch to Mix."

"In 1920s Hollywood, both stars were royalty. The fact that neither Hart nor Mix could get his story in print or on the movie screen is amazing."

Back