Cremation

Lon

For those folks that only want cremation of their remains and no funeral because of cost considerations please bear in mind that cremation its self is inexpensive, but unless you are fortunate enough to die at the Crematory, don't forget, your body must be removed from where ever you die and then taken to a Crematory and there is a cost for that transportation.

I plan to be cremated. I am reading a new book out that I think is going to be an interested read about the business. The Book is "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes," by Caitlin Doughty. If you're interested in cremation you might take a look at this book.

I think cremation is a good idea, as it disposes of the corpse entirely. Graveyards full of rotting human remains is YUCKY, imo! In the UK I think cremation should be mandatory as we are running out of burial space.

Cremation would be fine with me. But my entire family is buried at a local cemetary. And I already have a plot waiting for me there, so I guess I will go that route.

Davey, $400 is cheap. When my wife died, I called the cemetery where there was a family plot to ask the cost of burying her ashes there. By the time they quoted the urn, the vault, the digging up and the closing, it was close to $1000! And that did not include my airfare and lodging back there.
Instead, I paddled out to sea in a kayak near a place where we spent every anniversary, and scattered them there.

Cremated and maybe my ashes buried high on a remote mountaintop. Maybe in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC somewhere off the Appalachian Trail so as not to be buried on anyone's property as that's illegal. But ALL the land in our country is probably owned by someone.

It's not about me really, as I won't be there...but more about placing my ashes out of everyone's way 😇
Bible says "Dust to dust and ashes to ashes" so cremation makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Some people I knew were cremated, but they had a memorial service.
We will be cremated. We're to be buried in a family plot dating back into the 1800's. Our stone was just placed this past year and it's odd to see your own stone with only the dates of our passing missing. Our ashes will be mixed, a small amount buried and the rest spread at our daughter's lakeside cottage where we spent many months over the years.
A small memorial service for only our children and their families to, be held at a local establishment.

Cremation for sure. Of course, funerals aren't for the dead, they're for the living. That said, I'd be totally okay with no ceremony at all. No flowers, no celebration (lol). I die, ship me off to the furnace, sprinkle my ashes in the dumpster out back. I'll be dead, I won't care!

Just saw this article and thought it was interesting.

Essentially, due to a change in the law back in 2007 (in the UK) you may only get your grave (assuming you're being buried) for 75 years. After that, the local authority can dig you back up, make the hole even deeper, and then put you back. This allows them to reuse the grave space above you for someone else. Essentially, they stack up the bodies.

George Romero would have loved this idea.

Stortford first town outside London to get power to reuse occupied graves

Just saw this article and thought it was interesting.

Essentially, due to a change in the law back in 2007 (in the UK) you may only get your grave (assuming you're being buried) for 75 years. After that, the local authority can dig you back up, make the hole even deeper, and then put you back. This allows them to reuse the grave space above you for someone else. Essentially, they stack up the bodies.

George Romero would have loved this idea.

Stortford first town outside London to get power to reuse occupied graves
It’s the same here in our country. Your dead body can stay buried as is for 75 years. If family members don’t want this, they can pay to have it stay as is. In reality , getting buried is a waste of space. I prefer to be cremated and my ashes released at a special place.

It’s the same here in our country. Your dead body can stay buried as is for 75 years. If family members don’t want this, they can pay to have it stay as is. In reality , getting buried is a waste of space.

Ignorance on my part, I had no idea. :D

Mind, I don't spend too much time thinking of being dead.

If I could have my body dumped at the land fill for $3.50 I'd do that. I don't want to give those funeral parlor ghouls any more money than I absolutely have too. However it appears that cremation is the cheapest legal option so I'll have to settle for that. I have asked that my ashes be thrown into the Gulf of Mexico. Just watch out for that onshore wind.

Back