Depression Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only issue with these sites is that many do not have any counselors present. These folks are left to wallow in their own self pity with no assistance.
Yes, it can be a vicious circle. Depression seems to 'feed' on itself. I found that the more I dwelt on my problems, the worse it seemed to get.

My only issue with these sites is that many do not have any counselors present. These folks are left to wallow in their own self pity with no assistance.
People suffering from clinical depression have an illness, they are not “ wallowing in their own self pity.” That implies choice.

Last edited:
There is a disorder akin to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD and I suffer with it
It is called Cumulative Post Traumatic Stress Disorder CPTSD
'Cumulative PTSD occurs due to the buildup of traumatic events over time or on a daily basis
The symptoms and signs are mostly identical to PTSD but because of this buildup of events that
creates a major difference in recognizing and treating this condition'
I have learned to (mostly) live with it
PTSD is usually as a result of an isolated traumatic incident, car crash, robbery, assault etc. Complex PTSD as it is known in Canuckistan, is, as you said, resulting from cumulative traumatic events, usually, but not exclusively, originating in childhood. CPTSD is very resistant to treatment.

Not a problem for me but I have a family member that has depression problems. It is heartbreaking and frightening because there is no apparent reason for it and she won't see a doctor.
No apparent reason? Depression doesn't need a reason. As @nvtribefan noted, it's not a choice, it's an illness. It can affect those who look like they have the world at their fingertips. I have two grandchildren who suffer from this sometimes debilitating illness.

No apparent reason? Depression doesn't need a reason. As @nvtribefan noted, it's not a choice, it's an illness. It can affect those who look like they have the world at their fingertips. I have two grandchildren who suffer from this sometimes debilitating illness.

I have two great grandchildren who suffer from depression. The 7 year old started pulling her hair out in clumps. It’s a horrid disease especially in the young ones who have no ideal what the problem is. My niece tried to kill herself when she was 17. Depression runs in our family. 🙁

I clicked on the first one on page 1, and there was another one I also clicked on. If this group still exists, would you please post the link to it? Thank you.

Depression is far from feeling sorry for yourself andwallowing in self-pity.”
Stigmatizing someone can make healing more difficult. Society needs to realise this.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I meant was there is no counselor on these sites so they're left to their own devices. Meaning they will just continue to dwell instead of healing. I was not making a derogatory statement as I too suffer from depression. I apologize for any confusion.

PTSD is usually as a result of an isolated traumatic incident, car crash, robbery, assault etc. Complex PTSD as it is known in Canuckistan, is, as you said, resulting from cumulative traumatic events, usually, but not exclusively, originating in childhood. CPTSD is very resistant to treatment.
Is the reason why complex PTSD is so resistant to treatment due to the fact that it usually starts in early childhood, under 5 when the brain and personality are developing and due to the violent repetitious nature of assault that leads to the feeling of no escape? From everything I’ve read about it so far, it apparently takes 10 to 15 years of intense treatment. I’m guessing Cumulative PTSD is the same as Complex PTSD which seems to include just about every mental disorder known, or so it seems.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I meant was there is no counselor on these sites so they're left to their own devices. Meaning they will just continue to dwell instead of healing. I was not making a derogatory statement as I too suffer from depression. I apologize for any confusion.
The problem is, there are those, on the forum, who think they are counselors or those, perhaps, that may be counselors, but not good counselors or not the type of counselor needed so there would be a liability question for the owners of the site. Counselors are not one size fits all.

And there is the privacy question. IMO, a counselor would be a bad ideal.

The problem is, there are those, on the forum, who think they are counselors or those, perhaps, that may be counselors, but not good counselors or not the type of counselor needed so there would be a liability question for the owners of the site. Counselors are not one size fits all.

And there is the privacy question. IMO, a counselor would be a bad ideal.
Hello Aneeda. I was not necessarily speaking of this forum. I was referring to mental health forums in general. There are usually no mental health moderators. Just average people with no abilities to help these folks. So they are left to dwell and obsess over their shortcomings and go deeper into the depression. I find that very unhealthy.

Hello Aneeda. I was not necessarily speaking of this forum. I was referring to mental health forums in general. There are usually no mental health moderators. Just average people with no abilities to help these folks. So they are left to dwell and obsess over their shortcomings and go deeper into the depression. I find that very unhealthy.
I agree, it is unhealthy. A forum is not a place to find a cure, but rather a place to share stresses and get feed back from what other people think and feel. Others peoples experiences can be invaluable in relating to yourself, while keeping in mind there is no real “norm”. Each person is unique in their experiences and feelings.

Isn’t it ironic?
This is a forum specially intended for social interaction with a variety of elderly members many of whom have health issues. There have been questions about thyroid issues, MRI’s, Orthopedic surgery, diabetes, weight issues, hip & other joint problems, kidney disease, mammograms, cancer, cuts , scrapes, bruises and anything pertaining to human health that members have asked about and received answers. No surprise there.

From what I’ve read none of the answers have come from professional doctors yet nobody has complained about it , possibly because nobody expected FREE professional advice off a website forum.

Here we have a thread about depression which many members on this thread have stated is a mental health issue. As far as I know, none of these members are mental health professionals except for one who is now being singled out and criticized . Why? It’s a thread to discuss depression which has lead to discussing other mental health disorders. That’s how threads normally flow. Like all other health related threads, people ask questions and others answer.

Why is this thread and it’s members being criticized for discussing mental health?
How is this thread any different from any other health disorder thread? Members ask questions and other members respond.
Like any other threads, I seriously doubt anyone was expecting professional advice for their inquiry and I certainly didn’t expect the one professional who we do have to be called out in such a distasteful manner from those with their own ongoing mental health issues.
Once again, isn’t it ironic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back