Desperately need computer help...

I don't like Microsoft. I don't like their business model and I don't think Windows is all that good. I've looked into Linux years ago, but opted not to load it, because I wasn't sure if it would run Microsoft Flight Simulator, which I was heavily into at the time. When I looked into it, I was told that it didn't support all programs. It was kind of like, "Try it and see." That scared me off.

I don't like Microsoft. I don't like their business model and I don't think Windows is all that good. I've looked into Linux years ago, but opted not to load it, because I wasn't sure if it would run Microsoft Flight Simulator, which I was heavily into at the time. When I looked into it, I was told that it didn't support all programs.
A lot has changed through the years. There are ways now to run other operating system programs on different types than what they originally were written for. That and there are many similar programs written expressly for Linux systems.

Last edited:
Better, why I mentioned it. some brands have 'secure boot' and you have to approach it differently. It would be better to have it hands on but here that's not a good answer for you. Downloading a torrent then transferring it to a USB (thereby creating a bootable USB drive) is not hard but can be a little tricky. John C had a solution that'll work for your first step. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Here's my solution, You'll spend unnecessary cash getting it resolved. If you are only looking for an access to do the 7-8 things most users need a laptop for then a 'Chromebook' could be your answer. It will surf, post to this site, access emails, budget, let you use for bill paying, banking, edit pictures, do your taxes and work with most browser based applications. Including giving you Googles' 'cloud' access. And you can restore/reset it to factory fresh with very little effort, ever use an 'Android' tablet? 'Chromebooks' are Linux based @ less than $200 especially now before the holidays.

Last edited:
I do believe Windows updates- and especially the last instance when I shut down while updates were in progress- caused this problem. However, I decided to check and see if I'd installed anything.

In the middle of last year, my internet provider told me about a free bonus they were offering- McAfee- but didn't say it was for a limited time. As it hadn't been useful for awhile, I decided to remove it. I also wanted to remove another McAfee program- WebAdvisor- which somehow installed itself in mid-September.

Neither will uninstall. Can someone tell me how to get rid of them?

Second, I have Comodo, but like its worthless counterpart Windows Defender, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove unrecognized files or even threats with the free version.
Unrecognized files come up often when I scan, but while there are also sometimes a few threats my last 2 scans listed 31 threats.. and quite a few of them were McAfee files.

Is there any legitimate free program that will actually remove/clean all this stuff out of the PC?
For a long time I had MalwareBytes and their AdwareCleaning program (can't recall the name) but they both konked out long ago.

Here's my solution, You'll spend unnecessary cash getting it resolved. If you are only looking for an access to do the 7-8 things most users need a laptop for then a 'Chromebook' could be your answer. It will surf, post to this site, access emails, budget, let you use for bill paying, banking, edit pictures, do your taxes and work with most browser based applications. Including giving you Googles' 'cloud' access. And you can restore/reset it to factory fresh with very little effort, ever use an 'Android' tablet? 'Chromebooks' are Linux based @ less than $200 especially now before the holidays.

I totally agree with the Chromebook suggestion ! For under $200 (or a little more if you wanted a top of the line laptop), you can get a really nice Chromebook.
I use my iPad for almost everything; but I enjoy doing online surveys for extra cash and Amazon cards, and some of the surveys require that you use a regular desktop or laptop, rather than a tablet like the iPad.

I looked on Amazon, and checked the ones that were on close out, or had the refurbished/like new Chromebooks on sale. The one I got was a 14” HP, regularly around $250+, and I got mine for $95 , and it works perfectly for what I need it for.
I really like the large display, and the picture and sound is excellent as well, so it is perfect for watching movies or videos on youtube.
This is what I have.

200D749E-54E4-4E45-96AF-52273B7A4F66.jpeg

Another great option to check is Best Buy, and be sure to look at the open box laptops. Here is one marked down from $289 to $231, and the open box ones start at $58……. You can’t go wrong with that, and Best Buy has a great warranty on everything you buy there.

4778D9B9-2612-4FEA-A240-401FB5072694.jpeg

I looked on Amazon, and checked the ones that were on close out, or had the refurbished/like new Chromebooks on sale.

View attachment 250511
All the ones marked 'refurbished' are simply the ones a worker has reset to factory fresh with a simple key combination that starts the 'powerwash'. Then they follow the instructions to set it up. Most places will charge to do it. Does help if you start with 2 gmail.com accounts, easier setup. Same method that can be done on any Android (Linux) tablet.

I do believe Windows updates- and especially the last instance when I shut down while updates were in progress- caused this problem. However, I decided to check and see if I'd installed anything.

In the middle of last year, my internet provider told me about a free bonus they were offering- McAfee- but didn't say it was for a limited time. As it hadn't been useful for awhile, I decided to remove it. I also wanted to remove another McAfee program- WebAdvisor- which somehow installed itself in mid-September.

Neither will uninstall. Can someone tell me how to get rid of them?

Second, I have Comodo, but like its worthless counterpart Windows Defender, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove unrecognized files or even threats with the free version.
Unrecognized files come up often when I scan, but while there are also sometimes a few threats my last 2 scans listed 31 threats.. and quite a few of them were McAfee files.

Is there any legitimate free program that will actually remove/clean all this stuff out of the PC?
For a long time I had MalwareBytes and their AdwareCleaning program (can't recall the name) but they both konked out long ago.
I found and ran both MalwareBytes and their AdwareCleaning.. nothing came up. I have no idea why so many things came up in Comodo.
But the new thing is not being able to get rid of McAfee- and now ModuleCoreServices.exe is interfering with everything I do, too.

I'd hesitate to use any tool or process that requires restart, as that's been the ongoing problem. No guarantee it'd start up again.

I'm no expert, I don't run a Windows box often anymore, however you may be able to terminate ModuleCoreServices in your task manager (Start/Search/TaskManager - select the instances that are running and stop them). That would be tempory till you reboot but might allow you to navigate easier while you sort out your problems if it's hogging all the resources. Might be an entry in the Startup tab to deselect and keep it from starting on boot. McAfee used to have "McAfee Removal Tool" you may be able to find it on their site, they don't make it easy though, or at least they never used to.

Maybe consider going to a pawn shop or a flea market to pick up a deal. Pawn shops will usually check them out before selling them to avoid returns. Flea market vendors will normally do same, but if you go that route, I would ask for some kind if guarantee.

Hopefully someone is still reading this, and can let me know if something I noticed last night means anything:

when ONLY the monitor is on, and PC itself is not, the monitor logo flashing (briefly/periodically) on the monitor screen is brighter..
but when I "power-on" the PC, the monitor logo on monitor screen is much dimmer.
The monitor's logo flashes the same way regardless of whether the PC is off or on, it's just the brightness that's different. Not radically different, but definitely noticeable.

Does this mean anything?????

What operating system is on the laptop? I'm thinking you need some basic codecs in order to play video. Usually installing VLC media player brings with it everything you need. VLC download
Getting PC to work is #1 priority... but regarding laptop: I don't know which version it is, but very old version of Linux Mint.
Updates didn't occur because I hadn't used it for quite a few years, and I can't update it because it was given to me and neither I nor the person who gave it to me recall the admin passwords.

Getting PC to work is #1 priority... but regarding laptop: I don't know which version it is, but very old version of Linux Mint.
Updates didn't occur because I hadn't used it for quite a few years, and I can't update it because it was given to me and neither I nor the person who gave it to me recall the admin passwords.
Well, you seem to be at [seemingly] an impasse with your computers, but there are solutions. I'm confused by all the power or display issues with your desktop, but let's focus on your laptop. You need an up-to-date operating system, and since Linux Mint seems acceptable to you, downloading and creating an installation disc(or USB drive) is the first step. Download site: https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php Note: there are 3 desktop environments offered here, my personal favorite is MATE. Here is a guide on making bootable media.
If you would prefer to buy the installation media already made, here are some choices:

https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/mint.html

amazon.com

ebay

Well, you seem to be at [seemingly] an impasse with your computers, but there are solutions. I'm confused by all the power or display issues with your desktop, but let's focus on your laptop. You need an up-to-date operating system, and since Linux Mint seems acceptable to you, downloading and creating an installation disc(or USB drive) is the first step. Download site: https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php Note: there are 3 desktop environments offered here, my personal favorite is MATE. Here is a guide on making bootable media.
If you would prefer to buy the installation media already made, here are some choices:

amazon.com

ebay
The download link had same result as most sites I try to go to: secure connection failed.
Question: I've read usb thumb drive can be used.. not sure how process would work, but there's a small gadget (around a half-inch long) in the side of laptop, was there when I received it- is that the accessory they're referring to?

Well, you seem to be at [seemingly] an impasse with your computers, but there are solutions. I'm confused by all the power or display issues with your desktop,

amazon.com

ebay
or the PC this is a partial list some of what Janice describes is on the list.

Signs of power supply failure
Power-on Fails (system fails to start or lock ups)
Spontaneous Rebooting.
Intermittent lock ups during applications.
Hard drive and fan fail to spin up simultaneously (+12 failure)
Overheating of power supply due to fan failure.
Small brownouts that cause the system to fail and restart.
PC Won't Boot at All. As the central hub of the energy of your computer, if the power supply has died, the computer will fail to start. ...
PC Randomly Restarts or Shuts Down. ...
Random Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) ...
Extra Noise Coming from the PC Case. ...
Smoke or a Burning Smell.

Back