Diabetics

Wow it never accured to me about going to a dentist would be a problem for Diabetics? I've been told I need a deep cleaning? So I'm going to ask if they've worked on people with Diabetics? I have tried Apple cider vinegar, it takes getting use too, add sweetener. I read it helps with blood sugar control. I've been drinking guava tea, I saw a doctor Oz program stating that it also helps. Statements from other people who've used it.
Every dentist will have new patients fill out that form & check of any diseases or conditions listed on it, including diabetes, heart issues, allergies to certain antibiotics or drugs, etc. I've never heard of any dentist who hasn't treated diabetics. But, diabetes can make infections more serious & life threatening, so if they're incompetent (like one of mine was) or they don't follow proper sterilization procedures, you can be in big trouble.

I only see a dentist when it is necessary - replace a crown or treat an infection. IMO, it's not worth the risk, and I don't do "Deep Cleanings." I don't consider it necessary. I do floss & brush nightly.

I've been a type II for 25 years. I was tired of it ruling every aspect of my life,
Five years ago, I said to hell with it! I still take my drugs, but the measuring, monitoring when and what to eat- were discarded.
I'm still careful, but I will no longer be a slave to rules.
There are a log of rules, what foods, when, how often that are in error. I'm going to live what years of my life that are left as I
choose.
This is not for everybody, probably very few, but it is my way.
Wow you're brave, I've been diabetic for a couple of years that I know of? Ive been trying to do the same thing eating what I'm suppose too, there's so much does and don't's. It's stressing me out, I suffer from anxiety and depression. So this is making these things worrisome. And I've been told I'm going Blind, not from the diabetes but Macular Degeneration, it's a slow progressive desease vitamins can help. I take my medication also, my blood test are always good. My sister in law refuses to take the Medication. Still careful but Not as much.

I have several friends with life-threatening conditions. It's interesting that the ones who are doing the best are the ones who don't automatically follow their doctor's advice.
A co-worker & friend started having chest pains when he was 67. His doctor suggested immediate cardiac bypass surgery after an angiogram (I think that's the name of it) showed blocked coronary arteries. He refused because his father died on the operating table during his bypass surgery. The doctor reassured him that it's a safer surgery now than when his father had it but he still said, "No." The doctor said he will likely have a fatal heart attack within 6 months. I guess that didn't scare him enough. He changed his diet & started exercising. We just celebrated his 85th birthday. And he STILL rides his motorcycle. What if he had the surgery? Who knows?

His wife has Crohn's Disease. Her doctor told her to avoid fiber - like salads. But every time we go out to eat, she has a salad & Lentil Soup. I asked her about that. She said, "Well, I don't do everything my doctor tells me to do; I don't always agree with him." She's 83 & she's had Crohn's for over 20 years.

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer when he was 70. His doctor advised me to arrange Hospice care. I did some research & found that when an older person has prostate cancer, it is much slower growing & frequently dormant, so the patient dies of something else; that's why it's not a good idea to treat it - the treatment will make him sick with no benefit. I didn't arrange for Hospice & he wasn't treated & he died of a fall - 18 years later at 88.
I'm not saying doctors are always wrong. I'm saying they're not always right.

Wow you're brave, I've been diabetic for a couple of years that I know of? Ive been trying to do the same thing eating what I'm suppose too, there's so much does and don't's. It's stressing me out, I suffer from anxiety and depression. So this is making these things worrisome. And I've been told I'm going Blind, not from the diabetes but Macular Degeneration, it's a slow progressive desease vitamins can help. I take my medication also, my blood test are always good. My sister in law refuses to take the Medication. Still careful but Not as much.
Everyone needs to make their own decisions. Sometimes, the patient knows best. That doesn't mean the patient knows more than their doctor; it means the patient has lived in their body much longer than their doctor has been seeing them.

My sister (also diabetic) takes whatever drug her doctor recommends. Blood pressure drugs, cholesterol drugs, etc. Her doctor gives her the usual "You're diabetic, so you need these drugs to protect your kidneys." Uh....well....your kidneys have to excrete any drugs you take, so that puts an extra strain on them, in addition to whatever extra strain the extra sugar puts on them. And, if you follow one of those "Keto" diets (because they're low carb & don't raise blood sugar as much), your kidneys have to work harder to excrete the excess protein in such diets.

I have several friends with life-threatening conditions. It's interesting that the ones who are doing the best are the ones who don't automatically follow their doctor's advice.
A co-worker & friend started having chest pains when he was 67. His doctor suggested immediate cardiac bypass surgery after an angiogram (I think that's the name of it) showed blocked coronary arteries. He refused because his father died on the operating table during his bypass surgery. The doctor reassured him that it's a safer surgery now than when his father had it but he still said, "No." The doctor said he will likely have a fatal heart attack within 6 months. I guess that didn't scare him enough. He changed his diet & started exercising. We just celebrated his 85th birthday. And he STILL rides his motorcycle. What if he had the surgery? Who knows?

His wife has Crohn's Disease. Her doctor told her to avoid fiber - like salads. But every time we go out to eat, she has a salad & Lentil Soup. I asked her about that. She said, "Well, I don't do everything my doctor tells me to do; I don't always agree with him." She's 83 & she's had Crohn's for over 20 years.

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer when he was 70. His doctor advised me to arrange Hospice care. I did some research & found that when an older person has prostate cancer, it is much slower growing & frequently dormant, so the patient dies of something else; that's why it's not a good idea to treat it - the treatment will make him sick with no benefit. I didn't arrange for Hospice & he wasn't treated & he died of a fall - 18 years later at 88.
I'm not saying doctors are always wrong. I'm saying they're not always right.
I agree, my grandfather was told to stop drinking, smoking, bad eating,. He was even obease. He told the doctor if I do, I will die? He lived about another 20 year's to 88 years old. My previous doctor didn't even know what to do with my diagnosis, she's not even the one who did I had to figure this out myself. I'm being careful but not going to obecess over it.

Everyone needs to make their own decisions. Sometimes, the patient knows best. That doesn't mean the patient knows more than their doctor; it means the patient has lived in their body much longer than their doctor has been seeing them.

My sister (also diabetic) takes whatever drug her doctor recommends. Blood pressure drugs, cholesterol drugs, etc. Her doctor gives her the usual "You're diabetic, so you need these drugs to protect your kidneys." Uh....well....your kidneys have to excrete any drugs you take, so that puts an extra strain on them, in addition to whatever extra strain the extra sugar puts on them. And, if you follow one of those "Keto" diets (because they're low carb & don't raise blood sugar as much), your kidneys have to work harder to excrete the excess protein in such diets.

Yea, I was at a loss of what to do? I try to balance the two. I get tested every 3 months sugar, kidneys etc. So far so good. I can't control these things. So doing my Best.

I may be pre-diabetic. When I had the test last November, my fasting glucose was 119. Of course, it runs in my mother's side of the family, so I am not surprised. I can only blame myself, also. They days I do not do my volunteer work (average 2 days a week) I just lay in bed and watch TV or read, or sit at my computer. My diet is atrocious - mainly bread, cereal, pasta and snack food. They say eat 5 to 7 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. Okkkaaayyy....with me it's more like 5 to 7 servings a month. If I go to a potluck meal and they have tossed or fruit salad, then I do load up there, but these are infrequent. My BMI is between 35 and 40. I do drink a fair amount of tea, though and I don't smoke or drink alcohol.

I may be pre-diabetic. When I had the test last November, my fasting glucose was 119. Of course, it runs in my mother's side of the family, so I am not surprised. I can only blame myself, also. They days I do not do my volunteer work (average 2 days a week) I just lay in bed and watch TV or read, or sit at my computer. My diet is atrocious - mainly bread, cereal, pasta and snack food. They say eat 5 to 7 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. Okkkaaayyy....with me it's more like 5 to 7 servings a month. If I go to a potluck meal and they have tossed or fruit salad, then I do load up there, but these are infrequent. My BMI is between 35 and 40. I do drink a fair amount of tea, though and I don't smoke or drink alcohol.

I think the part I hate the most about diabetes is a contance need to watch what I eat??? I was eating like you, but I try to watch portions, eating Only whole wheat bread and pasta complex carbs easier sugar. I drink apple cider vinegar, guava tea, I read that if you eat too much carbs these drinks bring down the sugar levels. So are you at least taking medication? How long have you been Diabetic? This has me feeling depressed 😖

I am always hungry and it's cravings for all the bad stuff - crackers, candy (I really like the Junior Mints, Junior Caramels and mini Charleston Chews), and chips. If I wasn't so hungry all the time, I might lose some weight and get my glucose down. If you have high bloood sugar, why do you crave sweets? Seems like it would be the opposite.

I think the part I hate the most about diabetes is a contance need to watch what I eat??? I was eating like you, but I try to watch portions, eating Only whole wheat bread and pasta complex carbs easier sugar. I drink apple cider vinegar, guava tea, I read that if you eat too much carbs these drinks bring down the sugar levels. So are you at least taking medication? How long have you been Diabetic? This has me feeling depressed 😖
Before my weight-loss journey & diabetes diagnosis, I also thought "Whole Grain," Whole Wheat," etc. were healthy. The research I did was enlightening.
The main issue is the word "Processed." There is no way to make pasta, bread, crackers or chips without processing. Grinding whole wheat into flour (or corn for corn or tortilla chips) is processing & that is what makes the conversion to glucose happen much faster because your digestive system has much less work to do. Whole grains have a little more fiber & fiber slows down the conversion to glucose & causes less of a spike, but will still cause a spike in most people. The spike in blood glucose forces your pancreas to produce more insulin. Insulin is a fat-storage hormone. That's why diabetics who use extra insulin to enable them to eat more processed carbs are frequently overweight & that's why weight is such an issue with everyone. Forcing your pancreas to produce more insulin is what usually causes weight gain (or weight-loss prevention) in most people.
Consider a typical sandwich. Without figuring in what's between the bread, each slice of bread is around 25 gms carbohydrate (sugar). Most sandwiches use 2 slices of bread. So....you're getting around 50 gms of sugar in the bread, alone. A 12-ounce soft drink (that might go with the sandwich) has 40 gms of sugar. :) Well...90 gms of sugar in one meal, not counting dessert or snacks.....
One of my favorite places to eat used to be Subway.....UNTIL I had to learn about processed carbs. That fresh-baked bread I love so much has 80 gms of sugar by itself. Yeah....that's TWO cans of soda worth of sugar. I wouldn't want to take that much insulin; I'd probably have to buy larger clothes in a couple of weeks.
What's better? Well, a mediums-size apple has around 12 gms of sugar BUT it also has 4 gms of fiber & several nutrients. Fiber slows down digestion & that creates a slower rise in blood sugar which means less insulin needed.
To equal the sugar in a Subway sandwich, you'd have to eat 6-7 apples.

Well, 2 or more fasting glucose readings over 100 is considered pre diabetic, but you may be able to avoid diabetes by making some changes. It's not easy & not nearly as much fun. My friends (who can eat anything) are always kidding me about eating lots of "Rabbit Food" because I eat lots of salad. I always say, "Hey....I put beans in my salad; I don't think rabbits eat beans."

I am always hungry and it's cravings for all the bad stuff - crackers, candy (I really like the Junior Mints, Junior Caramels and mini Charleston Chews), and chips. If I wasn't so hungry all the time, I might lose some weight and get my glucose down. If you have high bloood sugar, why do you crave sweets? Seems like it would be the opposite.

Gosh, I never thought of that? I eat stuff that's bad for me too, just had dinner at Olive garden (Bread Sticks) Yummy, but had wheat pasta. You know what you should try for a satisfying desert? Cool Whip n Sugar Free Hello. You can eat almost an unlimited amount of that.

But then you are eating artificial sugars, some of which degrade into formaldehyde

Im going to be 65, nothing has happened. It's not something I eat everyday. My grandfather was told to stop smoking, drinking, eating Horrible food and was morbitly obese. He lived 20 more years after that. Not everyone reacts to thing's the same. No food is the Perfect food.

Im going to be 65, nothing has happened. It's not something I eat everyday. My grandfather was told to stop smoking, drinking, eating Horrible food and was morbitly obese. He lived 20 more years after that. Not everyone reacts to thing's the same. No food is the Perfect food.
According to Al Bundy, Weenie Tots are "Nature's Perfect Food." :D

I've been a type II for 25 years. I was tired of it ruling every aspect of my life,
Five years ago, I said to hell with it! I still take my drugs, but the measuring, monitoring when and what to eat- were discarded.
I'm still careful, but I will no longer be a slave to rules.
There are a log of rules, what foods, when, how often that are in error. I'm going to live what years of my life that are left as I
choose.
This is not for everybody, probably very few, but it is my way.
I feel the same way as you. I eat what I feel is best for me most of the time. I could not stand constant vigilance!

I feel the same way as you. I eat what I feel is best for me most of the time. I could not stand constant vigilance!

That's what Was driving me CRAZY when I was First diagnosed. Doctors didn't seem to have a clue? Doing research, I would go out and buy almost everything it said that I should be eating and doing everything it said to do? I suffer from anxiety and depression. Trying to keep track of the does and Don'ts of diabetes was creating other health issues. Now I've given myself a break from the Craziness. I take my medication, don't stress so much about what I ate, but pay more attention to it.

Back