Did any of you do this to your car?

No! But we never had any kids. We have dogs and the mess they make can easily be vacuumed up.

When I bought my last car I considered getting some really nice seat covers and you’ve just reminded me of them.

Back in the 60s, when my three kids were little, the first thing I did, when I bought a new car, was to install these seat covers. Mainly, to keep the seats looking new. We couldn’t go any distance without one, or all, the kids getting car sick. These made cleaning up so much easier.

View attachment 111663
I can't imagine having to endure sitting on plastic for any length of time.

Reminds me of the 60's, when the big thing was to cover your living room suite with heavy gauge clear plastic.

When my brother got his first car, he fitted tartan seat covers! I wouldn't dream of fitting plastic ones, but when my car goes into the garage for service or repair, the garage always fit temporary covers to keep the seats clean.

We didn't have the clear plastic but we did have an old Chevy Bel Air with cloth replacement seat covers. I remember that they were turquoise with a shiny metal thread woven into them.

images

I went to an elderly lady's house once and everything in the place was covered with plastic....furniture, throw pillows, even the dining room and kitchen tables had plastic over the tablecloths and plastic on the seats. Lampshades were wrapped in plastic. All the rooms were criss-crossed with plastic runners so that your feet never defiled the rugs. Toaster and mixer had plastic covers. I had to get out of there before i ended up wrapped in saran wrap.

I put heavy clear plastic seatcovers on a couple of my cars back in the day. Bought them from a company called Fingerhut. Like vinyl, they could get hot but they did an excellent job of protecting the seat fabric.

The car in Pappy's picture does have seat belts but they wouldn't have been original equipment.

Ahh, metal dashboards ... the good ol' days when replacing a burned out instrument bulb was a cheap 15-minute DIY job as opposed to a $500 trip to the shop today!

If I recall correctly, I'm fairly certain we always had fabric seat covers in the family cars.

Sort of off-topic, but still about cars .. the other day, we saw a car with a multi-colour striped paint job. I'll try to find it online. It looked pretty cool.

Looked better outside in the daylight. It was a contest winner for Parkview BMW.

parkview.bmw.JPG

Last edited:
Back in the 60s, when my three kids were little, the first thing I did, when I bought a new car, was to install these seat covers. Mainly, to keep the seats looking new. We couldn’t go any distance without one, or all, the kids getting car sick. These made cleaning up so much easier.

View attachment 111663
Yes seat covers. You kept the seats nice and clean for the next guy to buy your car.

I did the same.

Driving in the old days with my son and his friends they played a game of identifying cars in front of us by the taillight assembly which was unique for all brands. The year and the make.
I was amazed at how accurate they were.

Back