Did wisdom come with age?

It always amazed me over the years whenever I came across someone, as young as teenage, who smugly acted like they knew everything
.. have met a few. Wonder how time has put them in their place.;)
Me, too, Bonnie.

Time is a great teacher, so whether time slaps them upside the head now or later, most do learn... eventually, some just slower than others. :)

Yes .... some don't get the benefit of wisdom @Aunt Marg :ROFLMAO:
iu

I think a tremendous amount of wisdom comes with age, especially if one sought it out. However, the disappointing thing is that no one is interested in the lessons you’ve learned and they want to repeat the same mistakes on their own. Plus, as you reach the end of your life and energy, you realize how institutionalized the flaws in our society are and how helpless you are to do anything about them.

Did wisdom come with age? Not that I am aware, age seems to have that affect on me. Maybe I am wise because I know age has that affect on me and that's wisdom!​

I certainly can not say or think I am wise, I seem to have experienced a good long life and learned from each experience the good the bad and the ugly. Life seems to continue and I am a lot older than I expected to be, and I am still learning. Maybe some day I will be wise.

There is a common wisdom saying in data science...garbage in garbage out
The same applies to whether a specific person gains specific wisdom with age or not.

Some people become really talented increasingly doing so throughout their active lives. Our great scientists that educate, evolve knowledge, and explore have reached some incredible levels above the ordinary person reflected in their impressive writings. Actually rather common with our species communal ancestors was to defer important decisions to groups of respected elders they relied on because of their accumulated useful knowledge. More to the validity through current neuroscience would be, there are 300 million or so Pattern Recognizer's in the recent edition to mammal brains, the neocortex, each a functionally similar duplicated unit of maybe 90 nerve cells (among 100 billion with 100 trillion dendritic connections), that are not fully formed in our development until mid 20 year age. All are sort of empty at birth, ready to be filled by experience, learning, knowledge, of our lives. Both the wise and the stupid. The more one repeats via experience what is positive, good, the more through neuroplasticity, one potentially moves in the positive direction of general wisdom. Thus we are like an empty canvas to be filled during one's life. It may seem unfair that some are born so lucky while others hopeless but that is the natural process. It just IS.

So a flawed illogical foundation in early life, ignorant of math, science, and other human interpersonal wisdom, maybe isolated, devoid of favor, is more likely to produce a fool versus someone brought up in a wealthy privileged schooled complex environment. Interestingly, in this current era given the ability to save information on computers versus books with our recent ancestors, even we peons can stand on the accumulated shoulders of knowledge of those before. I'm ever reading current, up to date science on all manner of subjects I have interest in like no one else could have in earlier generations. Being wise at old age is about over decades filling one's brain to make it wiser.

The above noted, my own cooking wisdom rates in the dummy class.

Last edited:
Wisdom has taught me to be careful when using analogies. Nowadays I say that I can sleep anywhere. Previously I might have said that I sleep like a baby, that is until, one of our friends quipped: "People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one." Oh dear!

Yes, absolutely. .

I have learned that I am the only one that really cares about me. I have learned that I am but a miniscule being on this planet whose passing will not have a great impact. I have learned that there is a "circle of life" that eventually leads us to death. I have learned that the greatest legacy I can leave is by helping others. I have learned that if I ever disappear on this forum there will be members who ask about me. :)

No, in my opinion wisdom does not come automatically with age. It comes from experiences. mistakes made, travel, meeting of cultures, venturing out into the unknown. This can come at any age.
I have known some very young people with such profound wisdom and met some older people, who should never get out of bed!!

Every day I look back to yesterday and realize I had been an idiot.
And every night I replay past events, this time doing the smart thing.

I wish I knew how to turn off the Regret Machine but it just plays over and over. Wisdom? Only about those specifics. If I had it to do over, I would probably just make different mistakes.

No, in my opinion wisdom does not come automatically with age. It comes from experiences. mistakes made, travel, meeting of cultures, venturing out into the unknown. This can come at any age.
I have known some very young people with such profound wisdom and met some older people, who should never get out of bed!!
Great post. I had grandparents that never left their immediate vicinity and kept their same views until they passed away. I feel so fortunate to have travelled the world and to have experienced so many different cultures. It really expands the mind and takes off the blinders. đź‘Ť

I don't know that I would necessarily call it wisdom. Perhaps more of a knowing what really matters sort of thing. Some stuff just isn't that important.

Back