Did You Get Your Penny Candy? :)

5cf721261d6b1d7952665874a1318d94.jpg
f21d0fb0d5c2c4c9291efa702986c92c.jpg
a28656ad9290eba77614b30195ac0f4a.jpg

Did You Get Your Penny Candy?

Not really
I had to ride my bike 10 miles to town, so once I got there, I got my tube of BBs at Western Auto and went back home
Didn't really know about penny candy until I visited a town friend
He took me to the little corner store and loaded up
I sampled the drink in a wax tube (whatever they were called)
Curiously interesting, but not worth the penny to me

My big sis and her friends seemed to have a set of lips and mustaches from time to time, but I didn't know they were penny candy

I never saw a candy store back then. Candies some refer to as penny candies were sold in gas stations, 5-&-10's, and small family-owned stores that were somewhat similar to convenience stores but not as modern, and they cost a nickel each.
Whenever my Aunt came to visit she took me to one of those family stores and let me choose some candies. My favorites were Kits and BBBats- taffy. I also liked vanilla and maple Buns.

I can also relate to what one person above said about the higher cost of regular candy bars while also smaller in size. Around here, candy bars usually sell for $1.49- $1.69 plus tax, but sometimes can be found in grocery stores for 99 cents. And they're definitely smaller than they were not too many years ago!!!

A funny childhood experience: I also liked those candy cigarettes; one morning I was rushing to get ready for school, quickly put a pack of what I thought was candy into my lunch box, and at lunchtime realized I'd accidentally grabbed a pack of my mother's Lucky Strikes instead.
As soon as I got home I returned them to her with an explanation; she gasped "You could've got expelled!" The schools didn't take it well when students were caught with cigarettes- and I was only in the 4th grade! :eek:

I'd go to this mom & pop store, "Ponto's". I had a dime to spend. At that time, early 50s, you could get 3-4 pieces of candy for a penny. I'd poin and the poor guy would put the candy in a bag. BUT then I liked some more "expensive" candy more ( only two for one scent) and changed my mind. The owner worked hard to get my 10 cents. I'd probably still be at that candy counter, if I didn't have to be home for supper. I wasn't going to waste 10 whole cents, and not get the most candy for the penny. Jeesh!!!!

Yes. When we were kids and went camping for 3 to 4 weeks in the summer , we got 25 cents a day allowance and there was a store down the beach that sold penny candy. Most were usually 3 for a penny. They had little brown bags to put them in. That was something we all looked forward to.

Back