Did you live a sporty life?

NO, I was never much of a sport. Rather I was into adventure, travel, reading books to sharpen my mind and just having fun. So, no need for me to buy a huge monster truck that says "sport" some place or write "sport" on my funny looking cotton pants. So there, Sport, but I ain't no sport.

I wouldn't say I was naturally athletic but, back in the day, I dated a lot of athletic guys that motivated me and married one that continued to motivate me with Tennis, Scuba Diving, Skiing, Hiking, Backpacking, and Bike Riding.

But when my husband died I slowed way down, although I did take my son fly-fishing in Connecticut, as well as skiing and snowmobiling in Vail Colorado. And took all 4 children to Washington DC where we Roller Skated outdoors during the Cherry Blossom season all over the grounds of the Capitol, the monuments, reflecting pool, the Smithsonian, etc. We did a lot of traveling too.

I've slowed down to just walking the dogs for the most part. But my daughter just bought me a beautiful beach bike for Christmas and I love it!! I'm riding it a couple of times a day. I ride until my legs get sore. But I've gone a little further each day.

There are paved paths from one end of the island to the other but I'm mostly riding along Ocean Drive, listening to the waves, feeling the breeze, enjoying the sunrise and sunset (weather has been unseasonably warm), and passing people who are smiling and waving because everyone just seems happier at the beach. It's a good vibe.

Of course it helped that I left the Huge Christmas Bow on the handle bars and people were saying Merry Christmas as I passed :ROFLMAO:
`

Last edited:
No, I was more into listening to music and studying. I was pretty uncoordinated and dreaded Physical Education class. I would have been the last one picked for anything. I was a good runner because it wasn't a team sport, and I did learn to golf as I got older but didn't continue with it.

I do love walking, hiking and working out. Anytime I can be out in nature I'm happy. My avatar is from a trip to Chimney Rock, NC. Great hiking!

I was a good runner because it wasn't a team sport
Team sports weren't my forte when I was young, I had two strikes against me that prevented gaining stature on teams:
#1. my dad was blind, and couldn't be a couch
#2. I was left handed.
Later on individual sports suited me, although I did enjoy co-ed slow pitch in my 30s through the local parks & rec.

Nathan, I can relate to being left-handed. I'm even worse. I'm Ambidextrous. I threw a baseball or football with my left hand, dribbled a basketball with my right hand. I write with my left hand and cut with scissors with my right hand. When I went to learn golf, the pro determined I was right-handed. I borrowed my father's clubs and it turned out they were left-handed. (He was right-handed). I gave up. ;)

I've never been very athletic (it took me three times to spell athletic correctly!), but I've been active. I used to ski quite a bit and played tennis. I was on a co-ed softball team during my 40s. What else? I used to hike quite a bit. I play soccer with my dog. :) I used to do a bit of mountain biking and road biking. But like I said, I'm not very athletic (Ha! Spelled it correctly on the second try!). I have worked out regularly for most of my adult life, though, although not so much for the past five or so years. I'm trying to get back into it but just don't have the motivation.

Nathan, I can relate to being left-handed. I'm even worse. I'm Ambidextrous. I threw a baseball or football with my left hand, dribbled a basketball with my right hand. I write with my left hand and cut with scissors with my right hand. When I went to learn golf, the pro determined I was right-handed. I borrowed my father's clubs and it turned out they were left-handed. (He was right-handed). I gave up. ;)
I used to have some ambidextrous abilities, but I think they've faded due to non-use. When I was playing slo-pitch I could bat left or right handed. Sometimes I would switch, just before the pitcher was going to throw the ball...this really threw the other team off, as everyone would shift their positions at the bases and outfield. :LOL:

As a grade school kid played all the usual team or competition sports, especially baseball and was also very active outdoors. Road bicycles everywhere, climbed thousands of oak trees, fully experienced my Earth creature essence. High school little. Adult only competition sport has been table tennis that I gave up 18 years ago because of eyesight limitations. As adult very active in outdoor activities that are not really sports though gear may be sold in sporting goods shops. Now in my eighth decade, continue Earth creature activities to hike, backpack, fish, landscape and nature photograph, ski at high or elite levels, urban street freestyle dancer. 5'6" 138# BMI 22 use it or lose it.

So am I sporty as an adult? Not as in team or competition sports but to this point fit, athletic, for Earth creature activities indeed. The above noted, am old enough that am aware all could end even tomorrow if various aging afflictions or diseases rise. None of us get out of here alive.

Back