Did you recite the Lord's Prayer at school?

Grades 1-6, we recited the Pledge and the Lord's Prayer every morning.

For a couple of years, we left school once a week to march to a near-by church for Weekday Religious Education. You could opt-out of it, but, really, who wanted to miss the opportunity to get out of school for an hour?

Every Friday, it was salmon patties and creamed corn in the school cafeteria. Never varied. Never.

Grades 1-6, we recited the Pledge and the Lord's Prayer every morning.

For a couple of years, we left school once a week to march to a near-by church for Weekday Religious Education. You could opt-out of it, but, really, who wanted to miss the opportunity to get out of school for an hour?

Every Friday, it was salmon patties and creamed corn in the school cafeteria. Never varied. Never.
Didn't you say you're originally from NY? My elementary school let students out for religious instruction each week, too. It was also an option in 7-8th grades, but busing kids to their churches took so long that most didn't go.

And we had the fish-on-Fridays, too, except it was usually fish patties.

Yes, but only in the lower grades.

Later, the priest and nuns came to our public school for the weekly Religious Instructions. We did not have Sunday School.

A few times, I went with my friend and neighbor to her Pilgrim Fellowship group at the Congregationalist Church. She also came to mass with me a few times.

In High School, we had weekly CYO.

We had to listen to 5 verses of the Bible, followed by the Lord's Prayer, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance, every day. The 5 verses had to come from Psalms or Proverbs. The teacher was not allowed to make any comments about any of it. It was just a kind of rote way to start the school d hay. I taught school in NJ and had to lead these actvities; strangely, they didn't bother me at all at the time, though they would now!

And this was public school!

We had to listen to 5 verses of the Bible, followed by the Lord's Prayer, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance, every day. The 5 verses had to come from Psalms or Proverbs. The teacher was not allowed to make any comments about any of it. It was just a kind of rote way to start the school d hay. I taught school in NJ and had to lead these actvities; strangely, they didn't bother me at all at the time, though they would now!

And this was public school!
Were there any teachers that commented on the Bible verses anyway? This whole thing sounds strange to me. It's like inviting a challenge to separation of church and state.

Back