Disappearing socks

Sunny

SF VIP
So, the disappearing sock problem continues. This time, it is one of my favorite pair. They fit perfectly, had a nice pastel pattern, I had bought them in Talbot's, one of my favorite stores, and one of them is nowhere to be found.

So far, I've looked in the washing machine and dryer, behind and next to both, every drawer in my bedroom, under the bed, under the mattress, behind every piece of furniture I can think of, inside other garments, thinking maybe it got stuck inside something else, in the trash cans, in the large sack where I keep rags, even in my jewelry box, inside every pillow case, and I unfolded all the blankets, sheets, towels, etc. It is just plain gone! How can a sock just disappear like that?

Any ideas?

So, the disappearing sock problem continues. This time, it is one of my favorite pair. They fit perfectly, had a nice pastel pattern, I had bought them in Talbot's, one of my favorite stores, and one of them is nowhere to be found.

So far, I've looked in the washing machine and dryer, behind and next to both, every drawer in my bedroom, under the bed, under the mattress, behind every piece of furniture I can think of, inside other garments, thinking maybe it got stuck inside something else, in the trash cans, in the large sack where I keep rags, even in my jewelry box, inside every pillow case, and I unfolded all the blankets, sheets, towels, etc. It is just plain gone! How can a sock just disappear like that?

Any ideas?
If it's a front-loader, check in the rubber seal around the opening. Just pull it back a little here and there.

Any ideas?

I've started using a laundry bag. I don't worry too much about my thick wintery socks, but my thinner nylon stretchy socks I'll put in the bag.

No, no suggestions, I still lose one occasionally. my solution was to buy a dozen white, and several pair of black. It doesnā€™t stop your losing one once in a while, but with others in the drawer, it doesnā€™t hurt so much. And most eventually show up.

I have read about socks getting stuck in various places inside the washing machine or dryer, like under a gasket. It depends on the model of machines you have.
Yes! Inside washing machine stuck in a place you donā€™t expect it
I've heard stories where smaller things like socks can get lodged under the agitator and work themselves into the mechanics of the washing machine.
Absolutely. šŸ‘

If the socks were pegged outside on a clothes line, the chances are that a passing squirrel may have pinched the sock to use as a nut-sack.
"Whaddyamean, what a load of rubbish, I'll have you know, that squirrels have been known to rob ladies bras to use as his and hers hammocks, so there?" ;):)

I've heard stories where smaller things like socks can get lodged under the agitator and work themselves into the mechanics of the washing machine.
My wife uses a pouch. It's a mesh sort of affair, you put socks and smalls in it, zipper it up and put it in the washing machine with the rest of the wash.
Just as Sunny described, I cannot understand how twelve socks, as in six pairs, go into a zippered pouch, but after the wash, only eleven socks come out. There's a conspiracy afoot, I'm telling you.

Good answers, all (of course, none of them brought my sock back, but they were interesting to read). I was particularly interested in Ruth n Jersey's suggestion that if I throw the other sock out, it will turn up. So, how about if I go through a fake "throwing out" ritual, dramatically throwing the other sock into the trash (maybe a clean wastebasket?) and then quietly sneaking it back out? Do you think that might work?

I also liked CinnamonSugar's cartoon about the parallel universe. I swear, that must be what happened.

My washer is a top-loader, with no raised agitator. I did look in the corners of sheets, though I did give away one older sheet set, so I suppose that's one theory of what happened to it. I don't remember any more whether I examined the corners of that one.

Well, who knows? Maybe it will turn up some day, in the one place I didn't think of looking. But dammit, with all the horrible old socks I would be delighted to get rid of, why did it have to be that one? šŸ˜ 

This problem is so bad for me I handwash my socks and put them over the shower rod to dry. I never lose one this way. Funny that!
I'm sorry you lost your favorite sock @Sunny. Maybe if you buy another pair the odd sock will show up? If it disappeared after the dryer, static cling may be making it stick to something else? :unsure:

Back