DIY jobs, do you handle them yourself?

I come from a family Of DIY'ers, I'm a retired carpenter and my house is 106 years old.....I don't like plumbing and I think my roofing/shingling days are over, or should be anyway......I do the simpler wiring tasks and all painting and any carpenter type jobs. Appliance maintenance, of course but fixing something gone wrong with the furnace or AC.....I'd rather pay the service technician and know it's done right.

I come from a family Of DIY'ers, I'm a retired carpenter and my house is 106 years old.....I don't like plumbing and I think my roofing/shingling days are over, or should be anyway......I do the simpler wiring tasks and all painting and any carpenter type jobs. Appliance maintenance, of course but fixing something gone wrong with the furnace or AC.....I'd rather pay the service technician and know it's done right.
I think we might be a clone of each other, a retired carpenter myself, our house is 125+ years old, remolded each room about twice, spend many hours helping our five children on their homes, and loveing it all.

Yes. My husband and I are a good team; we keep things maintained.

That's Lorie and I... We always work together, and if we don't, for some reason it never works... We work on the truck, garage, house inside and out together, just not as fast as I used to be...

I do most of the time...Also check/double check how to on Youtube... (y)

YouTube is GREAT for every single topic YOU can think of, we use YouTube for all our backups for information...

Always a DIY. minor... major. not much bothers or scares me. A perfect example, my Florida house had a skinny galley outdated kitchen that the wife said "had to go". Jumped in with both feet. (y) While I was at it, a new tile floor throughout was in order along with some painting. Seems like one thing always leads to another. :)

106_0401.JPGDSC00627.JPG

I do a lot of DIY projects around the house. Actually enjoy it. I absolutely can not work with my hubby. His motto is,"anything is good enough," If you can't see it,who cares?" and "I'll do it tomorrow."I'm just the opposite. Things have to be done yesterday and as perfect as I can get it. Thank goodness my son is like me. We work well together and he guides me through projects that I need help with. Projects I just can't handle he will make time to do himself. I often wonder what the hubby will do if his recliner breaks.

I'm very limited mechanically, so I hire a professional for almost everything. I especially don't understand electricity & when I was 19, I was electrocuted while trying to fix something, so I learned.,
I'll change light bulbs but that's about it.
I think it was Clint Eastwood who said in a movie: "A man's got to know his limitations."

I try to keep on top of the easy tasks -but re/repairs I always get someone in to do the jobs I cant handle.
Even though I have a son who lives nearby I cant always rely on him -maybe because he is working all day.

I can tackle a few simple tasks about the home and if I need to call a tradesperson in I will and get quotes for any job I can't. I live solo and for the past 5 years have not had any major repairs needed doing. I have a couple of tool kits that I made up basic tools I can use and this is so handy.
My two Sons would do more for me if I asked them but I refrain as they are so busy themselves.

I tackled a new task a couple of days ago....one of the toilets had a small leak. I drained everything, and pulled the tank and stool apart, and found the "Wax Ring" at the toilet outlet was pretty well shot. A quick trip to the local hardware store for a new wax ring and tank gasket....about $10, and a couple of hours of cleaning everything up, and wrestling those heavy ceramic pieces back into place, and so far, so good. What a job...I can just imagine what a plumber would have charged.

I tackled a new task a couple of days ago....one of the toilets had a small leak. I drained everything, and pulled the tank and stool apart, and found the "Wax Ring" at the toilet outlet was pretty well shot. A quick trip to the local hardware store for a new wax ring and tank gasket....about $10, and a couple of hours of cleaning everything up, and wrestling those heavy ceramic pieces back into place, and so far, so good. What a job...I can just imagine what a plumber would have charged.
That's great....if your toilet is 2-piece. All mine are one piece & you have to be able to lift & move 100 lbs.

Some we do and some we call "Larry & his other brother Larry" to do. Thank heavens we have a standing metal roof, so that's hopefully a non issue for the rest of our lives. Larry & Co....They love the fresh baked cookies!

Yes..All the time... it's an on going thing around here.

We just finished our Laundry room do over...We redid our floors last year and saved this room for last.

I'm so glad to have my space back.....I can now open my dryer door without having to move crap....

Age takes it's toll. I had a neighbor help me lift the new TV into the cabinet yesterday. I measured very carefully and it is a close fit, but looks great. I told my wife it is her Christmas present.

Back