Do any of the ladies here cut their own hair?

If I were to cut my own hair, I'd end up like this poor pup. Someone I know in Facebook posted these photos of her pup (before and after). I can't stop laughing at the owner's shock when she saw the finished look. Looks like a totally different pup.

Sorry for getting off track. Just had to share.View attachment 120813
Poor pup? That’s a ‘well cared for’ pup with the cutest haircut ever. Both our dogs got clipped today and I booked their appointments up until Christmas

I didn't have a haircut at a salon since late February. My hair is usually kept around shoulder length, longer in my younger days. It grew around 3 inches since the Covid restrictions started, and was starting to look droopy, split ends, feeling bad. We plan on going to the mountains and doing some camping next week, and I wanted to get some of it cut off. All during this time, I have trimmed my own bangs, but not regularly, if they grow a bit long, I just comb them to the side.

Anyhoo, my husband was asking me if I wanted to go out and get it cut before we left. I told him I would like to, but still didn't feel comfortable going to a salon where there was a lot of enclosed moist air and questionable venting, etc. I told him even if I didn't have them give me a shampoo first, which I always do, they'd still be spraying my hair down with a water bottle and squirting the spray onto my face and near my eyes.

Sooo, I looked at a couple of online video and decided to cut my own hair. I'm never fussy about any style, mine is usually a high side part with or without bangs, usually a layered shag type cut, but have had a one length many times too. This is the video I followed. Her hair is much thinner than mine, so I couldn't do it exactly like she did, but I worked around it. There was one small section in the back that was a bit longer than the rest, and my husband evened that out for me.

I'm not one to go to the beauty salon very often at all, never really go out to have nails or anything done either, so staying home during this coronavirus wasn't that bad for me. This section by section technique seems to be pretty easy and works pretty well.

Well, I haven't been out to get a haircut since February 2020, before the covid. Today I went to Great Clips and had them give me a shampoo and cut. Been a couple of weeks since my final vaccination, so I felt okay about going there. I called them from the parking lot, they didn't take appointments, but they told me to come right in, only two guys were being taken care of, I hardly waited at all.

I did okay keeping after it on my own, but nice to get a professional cut and have everything evened out.

Well, I haven't been out to get a haircut since February 2020, before the covid. Today I went to Great Clips and had them give me a shampoo and cut. Been a couple of weeks since my final vaccination, so I felt okay about going there. I called them from the parking lot, they didn't take appointments, but they told me to come right in, only two guys were being taken care of, I hardly waited at all.

I did okay keeping after it on my own, but nice to get a professional cut and have everything evened out.
You are inspiring me to go to Great Clips and get my cut professionally once again, many thanks to you. I haven't had mine cut professionally in several years now. I've been doing it myself with not always the best results.

I'm not a lady (even when I was 😜), and I'm bald on top, but my hair in the back grew pretty long while the barbers were closed. I actually wore it in a little pony tail sometimes. Looked stupid bc it's really curly, but I like it slicked back.

Anyway, my girlfriend started cutting it for me and she does such a great job I have no need for a barber.

I'm not a lady (even when I was 😜), and I'm bald on top, but my hair in the back grew pretty long while the barbers were closed. I actually wore it in a little pony tail sometimes. Looked stupid bc it's really curly, but I like it slicked back.

Anyway, my girlfriend started cutting it for me and she does such a great job I have no need for a barber.

Aww, you're being modest. I bet you were a lady even when you were. :) I imagine your pony tail didn't look bad either. Glad your girlfriend is doing a good job on your hair. I've done my husbands for years now, way before the covid. When we met he had shoulder length hair, a bit wavy, and I trimmed it for him way back then. Now he's bald on top too, and keeps it short, I use the Oster clipper that I use on the dog to do his hair, touch it up with scissors and do some areas with a small narrow clipper.

Go all the way. Shave your head, man. It's freeing!
Even the ladies are going for it.
images.jpeg

Yes, but it's really easy since it's very long, straight and past my waist and no bangs. Also, blonde, so very easy to maintain.

I intentionally prefer it this way since in the past I would come home from the salon and realize I could do a better job myself.

Win-win!

I started cutting my own hair decades ago because hairdressers don't know how to act. They always cut too much. Now I hardly have any hair to cut. LOL I have a very short natural (afro). My hair was thick, a bit past my shoulders and I tried many styles after two hairdressers told me (a few years apart) not to put any more chemicals in my hair. I just got tired of messing with it, plus my hair started thinning at the crown so I had no choice but to cut the rest down.

I do, when the mood strikes. It’s natural curly and thick so can’t mess it up too much. I go to Cost Cutters most of the time and maybe 1 out of 25 times I get a cut I actually like. I’ve gone to the sam person for years now, so why she isn’t more consistent is beyond me. Guess I don’t care much or I wouldn’t keep going there 😊

Can hair be cut with the same kind of scissors that doctors use to cut off bandages?

I say this because I need to cut my own. The only hairdresser I have ever found who did it right, was very easy to deal with, made special provisions for my health and comfort and I adored, has retired.

My vision and fine motor skills/control issues make it scary (and probably dangerous) to use ultra razor blade sharp needle point scissors that hairdresser's use. My hair is very short so I need to place the scissors against the skin to cut it at the nape of the neck.

The bandage cutting scissors have a metal safety guard to prevent accidently cutting skin and usually are not needle pointed on the ends.

Does anyone have experience with these types of scissors? Will they cut hair?

Yes, because I got tired of paying for cuts I really didn't like.

I keep my hair shorter now and have some curl to my hair which helps hide that I cut it with scissors from the dollar store. Even going to walk in places, it saves a lot.

And I've even received compliments on my hack jobs.

Have never cut my own hair.
But
Thanks to the Covid....maybe i should start.
My cut appointment was for tomorrow......not happening.
Every cut appointment i've had since Covid, has been delayed.
Shut down was posted for Manitoba once again before the past long weekend.
My hair isn't out of control.......yet.....:(:cautious::confused:

Back