Do we need a "Religion" category?

Like I posted: best for all.

Free thought allows not visiting, in any group or place, when free thought is possible along with free actions.

The rules are to preserve or to protect what they believe is right there, their free thought is not adversely affected by ney-sayers.
My grandmother's 3 rules are...

1. We respect everyone. It makes no difference who the other person is, the mayor or a bum because being respectful is about who we are.

2. We protect the dignity of others.

3. We do everything with integrity.

I have seen these rules in action. They left people up and bring out the best in people.

I find it interesting to get different views on religion but it does cause disagreements. None of us know the truth when it comes to religious beliefs, so all we can do is express what WE personally believe. (I know I'm repeating what others have said but there is no harm in saying it again).
If people can discuss things rationally and respectfully, I see no reason not to include a religious section.

I would like to see a forum about spirituality. Not necessary just religion but including a whole host of other topics. I think people can be spiritual without being religious.

I do agree that this could be tricky to moderate, especially with people's strong views on religion. But it would be so nice to have a place to discuss spirituality in an adult manner.

I would like to see a forum about spirituality. Not necessary just religion but including a whole host of other topics. I think people can be spiritual without being religious.

I do agree that this could be tricky to moderate, especially with people's strong views on religion. But it would be so nice to have a place to discuss spirituality in an adult manner.
You might start up a thread of your own - include spirituality in the topic, and see how may responses you get. Also, a definition of spirituality might help in your own initial post. Then define your own view of spirituality and ask for other views. Just a thought!

Thanks for your suggestions! Most religion topics should be posted in "Current News & Hot Topics", maybe some can be light-hearted? If you see a heated religion discussion in GD, please report it, I will move it to Hot Topics.

Most religion discussions don't end well, I don't want to create a new forum to encourage such discussions like we did with politics before. Also, I don't think there is enough activity to warrant a new forum.

We will create a new forum when
- The topic has enough activity. I hate empty forums.
and
- Someone is passionate about the topic and would like to moderate it, not the other way around.
If we cannot be political in here, how can you condone a religious group? If anything can incite more argumentative anger than politics, it's religion.

I like the "General Discussion" category. It's fun, lighthearted, and like the tittle, it appeals to the general user. Some have been posting constant, multiple threads dealing with deep questions of the Christian religion. Maybe, we should have a "Religion" section Today, there are four threads pertaining to Christianity. Because those threads have long lives, they kick general threads into oblivion. The General Discussion is in fact the religion discussion. I admit I'm selfish. I'm an atheist, and have little interest in Christianity. But all those religious threads are knocking what I like off.

Agree with Matrix so I don't see a need for another forum. And we especially do not need any political sub-forum that a few here obviously feel inhibited over and occasionally complain so.

The OP argument about a few religious threads getting in the way of far far more topics of all types, instead points towards his atheist comment. Many in general whether on this board or in public media, do not like listening to or reading things that grate against their own beliefs and attitudes. Especially if they personally have little relevant to add challenging other views in a discussion. Such persons thrive within limited echo chambers where they feel others think as they do.

Most in this community discuss a wide range of topics reasonably, respectfully, civilly, that allows members to better understand how a range of different people feel. There will always be a few emotional personalities on any web board that cannot write much of anything without injecting emotion, or feeling personally slighted, or attacked over what others write, or try to add humor where it doesn't belong. Their limitations ought not inhibit the majority. Additional are those that post as though they are trying to change other minds. This web board, unlike some media site like Twitter or Facebook, has a miniscule audience, with trivial potential effect to any subjects. So it is misguided to post like one is on some political or behavioral agenda and mission to change others.

There are some members on this web board that tend to create less than intelligently considered, vaguely titled new threads, often too broadly posed. When others post on their threads, they ought not be surprised members didn't respond as they in their own mind narrowly expected. Better if some of those authoring threads took more time to consider how others might respond instead of posting vague poorly considered one-liners like most do on sites like Twitter.

Last edited:
There are different views within any one religious' group. Making a statement that all people of one religion behave & believe only in one way, IMHO is narrow minded. That is what I am understanding in a few posts.

Why would someone want paint everyone as being the same? Could it be possible that the issue is with their thoughts/feelings & not that of others.

I don't care for intolerance & sadly there is a lot of it going around. Gone are the days having a civil conversation & agreeing to disagree & go on to another topic. If you do or do not believe in God or a greater being, fine. That is your right. But what right does anyone have to scoff, shut down or blame any certain religion for all the problems either here or elsewhere.

Just my thoughts...

It's been almost 41 years since I visited Jerusalem, so things may have changed, (slightly), but I recall, having visited the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, that the ministers of the different denominations sharing the church had inflexible routes to get to and from the building at separate times, ostensibly I guess to create the illusion of sole dominion.........for a set period of time.

Apparently it worked, although I doubt that said clergymen, especially if they encountered one another on neutral turf, would come to blows.

Me, I'm an agnostic...primarily because there's that small element of doubt that stops me from saying atheist....(and also makes me appear more reasonable & thoughtful ;) ), and although I'm a newbie here, (and have some small appreciation of how Sunnis & Shiites behave when in close proximity), I figure if things are cordial we might all learn something.........or not, (there's that agnosticism kicking in again).

I am only just now reading this thread. In the future then I will post any religious topics
in the what section? I have posted two topics in my time here regarding God/religion
and recently the one on Religion/Spirituality. I in the past has posted those in General
discussion. So in the future, where should one be posted?

Last edited:
I agree there should be a forum or thread for Religion. Religion has become an important sociological issue and has brought about some good and some problems in our society and others, and become the basis for some wars. These problems are sometimes caused by those who don't follow the original dogma of the religion they claim, and sometimes it's caused by the actual dogma itself. Examining these issues is crucial to the overall improvement of society. Analysis is needed from all thinking people including atheists and members of organized religions.

I’m writing a book about why so many people are leaving religion. I’d like to get people’s comments for their reasons of why they left. No judging or preaching. Can I post that on here, and if so, where?

Hmm well some of us once disagreed with Hitler and his dreams and look where that got us - was it thousands or millions killed for what well some would say a sort of religion. And now we have those poor peoples in North Korea suffering [well some don't] because of a new 'religion' which is against religion!

Beliefs are one thing ; putting them into action scary sometimes and sometimes terrifying? - I am of the believe that is is possible for us to communicate with each other on different matters and at the same time control our emotions - but I also realize that eventually some of us don't and can't and then as they say "logic flies out of the window" As a sign of democracy and this forum perhaps claiming to be within the realms of such a calling I would suggest ""trying"" once again a thread on religion - in a broad way not they narrow way that is often preached - to be nurtured by a kindly soul of a moderator or two? with perhaps a fallback clause of " any unreasonable emotional outbursts and arguments will be moderated in the usual fashion as the site already has either in practice or in writing or both?

just a few fleeting thoughts??

I’m writing a book about why so many people are leaving religion. I’d like to get people’s comments for their reasons of why they left. No judging or preaching. Can I post that on here, and if so, where?
The General Discussions Forum would be a good place. Admin will move it if he feels there's a better place for it, and you'd be notified, but yeah, topics on religion are usually posted in the GD forum.

It's amazing what a quick country walk and then a couple of homebrewed coffees on the front porch will do to clarify ones thoughts - and I have kicked this topic around a little more - once I was a teacher - however I didn't teach politics or religious studies althought I think the latter seem to get a much broader stroke of the pen these days in school lessons. And I am a person that hates to admit defeat in front of overwhelming odds [ I once practiced Buddhism too but that can be misconscrued and cast to oneside too!] And it does seem for the sake of peace and harmony that "religious and political studies" do seem to set the steam rising quickly and sometimes brings out the 'devil is prada' in people. So I would conclude the odds may be against them? Am I sitting on a fence - possibly but it could be the safest spot yet?

However - as my studies continued after a few more coffees , I came across this little nugget or pearl of wisdom

united religions initiative

who's mission statement is:

URI is a global grassroots interfaith network that cultivates peace and justice by engaging people to bridge religious and cultural differences and work together for the good of their communities and the world.

We implement our mission through local and global initiatives that build the capacity of our member groups and organizations, called Cooperation Circles, to engage in community action such as conflict resolution and reconciliation, environmental sustainability, education, women’s and youth programs, and advocacy for human rights.

so they have common goals and cooperative behaviors ; conflict resolution [I do like that one] and of course consideration for women and youth and finally human rights. Seems to tick all the boxes. How do they discuss their alternative religious affiliations - ah you'd better start reading their manifestos then!

looks like all about sharing their own religious thoughts and deeds cooperatively for the common good of communities all over the globe. And there must be statements and reports about their overall achievements too?

I wonder whether we could implement their model on here as a peace initiative for us all and our families and communities?

If we had a religion forum, it would take an unbiased person to moderate it. I know that it would be challenging for me, personally. I do, however, like the discussions that are currently clogging the site. Per Matrix, most religion topics should be posted in "Current News & Hot Topics." I don't see religion as current news - and a hot topic, to my mind's eye, is something like the gas prices or food shortages. Perhaps a forum named "philosophy???"
I like the idea of a "Philosophy" category, and wondered why we didn't have one, since it is so wide ranging.

Back