Do you eat ramen noodles?

Not on your life? Why so hateful toward the ramen?

Ramen noodles were created as a substitute for rice in meals. Rice took too long to cook, and with more oriental women entering the work force, a faster meal plan was needed. Voila, the ramen noodle was created. Not healthy, and not really tasty. Have you viewed the video of ramen noodles in the digestive tract? For being instant cooking noodles, they are not digested well. I spent a year in the orient.... tried all kinds of ramen.... could never take a liking to them. I'm really glad not that I didn't put that many ramen noodles into my system.

Ramen noodles were created as a substitute for rice in meals. Rice took too long to cook, and with more oriental women entering the work force, a faster meal plan was needed. Voila, the ramen noodle was created. Not healthy, and not really tasty. Have you viewed the video of ramen noodles in the digestive tract? For being instant cooking noodles, they are not digested well. I spent a year in the orient.... tried all kinds of ramen.... could never take a liking to them. I'm really glad not that I didn't put that many ramen noodles into my system.
Actually I agree with you. It might be tasty to some but it’s more of less cheap filler food.

Ramen noodles are a form of pasta. Flour, salt, water and perhaps a bit of oil. Nothing unusual. Should be easily indigestible for most people who don't have gluten allergies.

I did watch a video. Instant noodles just take longer to break down than fresh made. It wasn't considered bad, so they said. I always thought they were a form of pasta too. Pure simple carbs, not good for diabetics.

@Ellen Marie, you must be familiar with soba noodles. I hear they are made from buckwheat which would be better for diabetics as the carbs are complex. How do those taste?

There’re many varieties of noodles, dried or fresh, in the supermarkets. Very inexpensive in the ethnic aisle at Walmart. They’re in other stores too, just that’s the latest place I’ve been buying them.

I did watch a video. Instant noodles just take longer to break down than fresh made. It wasn't considered bad, so they said. I always thought they were a form of pasta too. Pure simple carbs, not good for diabetics.

Thanks for posting that video, Rose. As the doctor who ran the study stated, the longer digestion period may or may not have any effect on body. While interesting to note, it obviously doesn't draw any serious negative health conclusions because the doctor himself said he still eats ramen.

It would be useful to be able to compare stomach breakdown periods for other foods. Dried ramen noodles versus dried pasta, for instance (I know a lot of good cooks and not a single one makes fresh pasta instead of using dried). Brown rice versus white, meats, vegetables, oatmeal, eggs, fruit, and so forth.

p.s. I thought it was good for weight control and satiety to eat foods that take longer to digest. Aren't we're waved off from simple carbs and sugars because they go through the digestive system too rapidly?

Aren't we're waved off from simple carbs and sugars because they go through the digestive system too rapidly?
This is where I get confused. It has something to do with the body's insulin output. Simple carbs turn to sugar too quickly. Complex (usually having fiber) takes longer to turn to sugar.... this was my understanding....I guess you're saying the same thing.

Back