Do you feel worse when it is sunny too much

Happy Retiree

I was not like this when I was younger. I worshipped the sun. But now I prefer it when it is rainy or snowy (not icy though).

Have you guys ever heard of Reverse Sad. Here it is explained: People with summer-pattern seasonal affective disorder (SAD) — aka “reverse SAD” — typically experience common symptoms of depression for about four or five months each year when the weather is warmer, according to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH).Sep 22, 2021

I mean I like the sun sometimes but I like the rain more. When it is sunny, I feel like I should be vacationing (no money to do that) or gathering around the BBQ with friends. No friends close enough to visit and no BBQ allowed in condo.

I love to feel cozy and have the fireplace going and can happily work on my hobbies. And I can happily walk in the rain or snow also. And it's usually quiet outside with everyone inside.

With the sun, it's like you should be outside doing stuff and everybody is super happy, noisier in the summer (kids playing, outdoor music playing, etc.) and it just depresses me.

I have to agree, I love winter and fall as my favorite seasons now. I just can't tolerate the heat anymore. I like being snug, warm, at home with dogs. A good book, program, hot tea or soup. The peace and quiet that comes when the world slows down.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the sun. I actually feel ill when the weather is hot. I hate having the sun in my eyes and the harsh feel of the sun on my skin. When people moan about the rain, I always say, 'I much prefer it to sunshine'.
It's strange because I spent a lot of time in the Middle East, and the sun didn't bother me. Mind you, in hot countries, people organise their lives around the sun...up early, afternoon siesta, then active again in the evening.

My college roommate and I used to enjoy thunderstorms from within the confines of our tiny dorm room. We’d even turn out the lights to enhance the effect!

I enjoy all seasons except for the dead of winter when I have to go out in it or remove snow. Fall and spring are my favorite seasons, although spring in my area lasts for about a week before summer heat sets in. Sunny days may burden you with the expectations of being productive. No one expects you to weed or mow the lawn when it’s dark and rainy!

I could enjoyably hang with the Addams Family here!

AB1995C7-4B5E-4CBB-B2BE-36EB0DCBB573.jpeg

I thought I was the only one that didn’t like sunny days so was happy to see your post.
I wasn’t even going to reply because most people think I’m weird when I mention it.
For one thing I’m very sun sensitive and hate driving in sun even with sunglasses.
I love cloudy colder days, that is when I have the most energy.
Also love snow and miss it here in California.

I have to agree, I love winter and fall as my favorite seasons now. I just can't tolerate the heat anymore. I like being snug, warm, at home with dogs. A good book, program, hot tea or soup. The peace and quiet that comes when the world slows down.
You just described me, too... I love fall and winter and I can't tolerate heat over 80F... never could. Actually I should probably make that 75. My perfect temp would be around 65. @Blessed

I thought I was the only one that didn’t like sunny days so was happy to see your post.
I wasn’t even going to reply because most people think I’m weird when I mention it.
For one thing I’m very sun sensitive and hate driving in sun even with sunglasses.
I love cloudy colder days, that is when I have the most energy.
You're certainly not the only one, @CeeCee ... nor is it weird. I've been the same way since I was a teen. I feel miserable during the dog days of summer and look forward to Labor Day so it can start getting cooler again.

Come live where I do and you will have plenty to be happy about. We have gotten over 2 ft of snow in the last 7 days, to add to the ten feet (120+ inches) we have already got.

I will take the sun please! Last summer we had a drought and continuous sun for a month - loved it! I will gladly water my garden (and not have to mow the lawn) instead of retrieving my daughter out of the ditch (3rd time this winter yesterday) and getting water backup into the ceiling last night (which is the first time ever at our house).

Count your blessings!

Come live where I do and you will have plenty to be happy about. We have gotten over 2 ft of snow in the last 7 days, to add to the ten feet (120+ inches) we have already got.

I will take the sun please! Last summer we had a drought and continuous sun for a month - loved it! I will gladly water my garden (and not have to mow the lawn) instead of retrieving my daughter out of the ditch (3rd time this winter yesterday) and getting water backup into the ceiling last night (which is the first time ever at our house).

Count your blessings!
I understand that and although I love snow ..I just like looking at it..no driving or shoveling.
I do know your weather..I lived in Chicago and the suburbs of Illinois for most of my life.

OMG, Happy Retiree, you've described me exactly! I didn't think there was anyone else like me. I figured it was because I grew up in, and got spoiled by, an area with both mild winters (just rain, beautiful, glorious rain) and mild summers and now live in an area with only 3 seasons: December, January and Summer...100 degree, smokey summers. Hot smokey summers that no one else around here seems to mind; I see people out walking around in it wearing jackets and sweaters. Thanks for posting; I don't feel so quite alone.

This is an interesting thread but I do love sunny days and there can almost never be too many of them. Unless the heat becomes unbearable, of course.

Back