Do You Have A Budget?

As inflation increases faster than COL raises in my pension having a budget is crucial. Just went to a hoa board meeting and although we won’t know our budget for the year until 2 months they said prepare for a significant increase. Ugh!

I've kept an expense folder since the mid 80's, I keep track of everything I spend every month,basically buy everything in cash.I pay monthly bills e.g. rent/phone/credit card statement by ck.I have only 1 credit card use it when the spirit moves me usually on Amazon

Credit cards can save you money...like the 5% off on everything you buy on Amazon with the Amazon card, the 5% off on groceries we get right now until the end of March with Discover. Then its 5% off on gas for the next 3 months. Just pay them off before accruing any interest.

Credit cards can save you money...like the 5% off on everything you buy on Amazon with the Amazon card, the 5% off on groceries we get right now until the end of March with Discover. Then its 5% off on gas for the next 3 months. Just pay them off before accruing any interest.
Liberty you are a woman after my own heart. I'm enjoying those same bonus cash backs you mentioned and more. I always pay my cards in full each month like you do. I let my son use my Chase-Amazon card last quarter and he was getting 10% back on gas. One of my other Chase cards gave 5% back at Walmart (including .com) last quarter. Our total cash backs for 2022 totaled $1.327 ($227 of which were my son's). Still $1,100 for me is nothing to sneeze at. It more than covered my internet bill or our energy bill or most of my personal grocery shopping. @moviequeen1

Being a single person, I never had a need for a budget.
Okay, my early years I squandered most of my money and had no savings. Only when I got control of my life did I start to think about the future and retirement.
Even then, I never saved any money. I have started saving only in the last 4 years?
I spend very little of my income on frivolities. I am saving about 65% of my take home pay. No debt, no credit cards. Very close to having $150,000 as a nest egg and that will continue to build as I still have 6 years of work in my until retirement age.
No investments, minimal Superannuation, most of my money is in the bank. Thinking about depositing some into a term deposit though they are only paying 4.1%.
So as long as I am diligent, I may end up with $300,000. Might last considering I do not think I will get anywhere near 75 years of age.

Liberty you are a woman after my own heart. I'm enjoying those same bonus cash backs you mentioned and more. I always pay my cards in full each month like you do. I let my son use my Chase-Amazon card last quarter and he was getting 10% back on gas. One of my other Chase cards gave 5% back at Walmart (including .com) last quarter. Our total cash backs for 2022 totaled $1.327 ($227 of which were my son's). Still $1,100 for me is nothing to sneeze at. It more than covered my internet bill or our energy bill or most of my personal grocery shopping. @moviequeen1
Yeah, don't you just love those free bucks, Diva?! We don't use a lot of gas, but this month its 70 cents off per gallon from Kroger...the Caddy is almost running on empty so that timing works out. Love those big $20 Kroger off food coupons, too.

Back