Do you have ceiling fans?

Yes, I love them. I live on the East Coast, and the weather is all over the place. It can be very cold in the winter and scorching in the summer.

In warmer weather, I run the ceiling fans counterclockwise. The downward air flow creates a cooling effect. It allows me to set my air conditioning on a warmer setting without affecting my comfort. I also use oscillating fans around my house to keep the air flowing.

This isn't my house, but it gives you the idea and shows why I run the ceiling fan up there clockwise in winter. It creates an upward air flow and moves warmer air off the ceiling area, otherwise it would get trapped up there, and this allows me to set my heater at a lower temperature. I run that fan every day all year round.

Pin by Lennar Utah on Candlelight Home Photos | My dream home, House ...
proxy-image

Bella ✌️................................................................................................................................................................................................................(edit: photo disappeared so I replaced it)

Last edited:
Bedroom has a ceiling fan, plus a tower fan that I turn to blow across the hot tub... love the feeling of a cool breeze when I'm floating in hot water. There is one in the kitchen, too. The kitchen gets unbearably hot on summer afternoons due to glass sliders with same size windows on each side. I bought a window-vented air unit last fall and hope to have family install it tomorrow or Friday, before the record high 90's predicted for Saturday. These see-sawing temperature swings are driving me crazy.

We both grew up in deep East Texas.
It gets hot and humid here.
I grew up with fans and ms gamboolgal and I both like to have the air moving in our house.
We have 9 X Ceiling Fans in our house. Plus we have 5 X Oscillating Fans on Floor Stands. And we have a Table Fan.
We have and additional 2 X Outdoor Ceiling Fans on our Back Porch / Patio.
If we are in a Room we'll have a Fan or 2 going to stir the air up.

ETA: We also take a Box Fan with us when we go on Road Trips for the Hotel Room. The days of us traveling in one Backpack are about 30 year gone....we look like the Clampetts pulling up to the Hotel with all our stuff ! ms gamboolgal is embarrassed and tips the Bell Hops very well....they all like us.

I do know that lots of folks don't like the Air to be moving. ms gamboolgals parents had a ceiling fan but never turned it on and would not let us turn it on when we visited. It was hot staying over with them - ha !

Last edited:
I also have two ceiling fans in my Pennsylvania home, one in the kitchen and one in the hallway. Both have attached lights as well, and multiple speeds adjustable by a pull chain. I seldom run mine above low speed as beyond that they sound ready to “take off.” 🙀
Same as mine... they all have lights, all have pull chains with variable speeds and they all are loud.

I had a ceiling fan over my for close to 40 years, till
I moved here, the ceiling is too low for one now.

In the older houses where the ceiling is high it was
very good, also in the winter, I could reverse the
rotation and it blew the warm air from up there to
the lower space, to help the heating.

Mike.

I am definitely in the minority here. Removed all the ceiling fans when I moved in, Ontario summers are hot, hazy and humid, so I prefer air conditioner even if more expensive to run, one of my few luxuries. I simply do not like the look of the fans and the shadows they cast on the ceiling.

I had a ceiling fan over my for close to 40 years, till
I moved here, the ceiling is too low for one now.

In the older houses where the ceiling is high it was
very good, also in the winter, I could reverse the
rotation and it blew the warm air from up there to
the lower space, to help the heating.

Mike.
How high are your ceilings Mike ?... mine are only standard height and I have ceiling fans. Are you very tall ?

I am definitely in the minority here. Removed all the ceiling fans when I moved in, Ontario summers are hot, hazy and humid, so I prefer air conditioner even if more expensive to run, one of my few luxuries. I simply do not like the look of the fans and the shadows they cast on the ceiling.
I wish I could afford to have AC installed in this house. UNlike my Spanish house it's extortionately expensive to have it installed here..

Last edited:
Have never had one. Just table/floor fans. We have the option to have one installed here, as part of renovations but we have to pay for it..and cannot take it with us. But I do not want one as our ceilings are not that high,,and I am concerned it would be TOO "windy" in the place. LOL. A table fan and an open window doe

Have never had one. Just table/floor fans. We have the option to have one installed here, as part of renovations but we have to pay for it..and cannot take it with us. But I do not want one as our ceilings are not that high,,and I am concerned it would be TOO "windy" in the place. LOL. A table fan and an open window doe
Marie if I remember correctly your apartment is very small, so it's probably easier for a table fan and an open window to keep you cool

How high are your ceilings Mike ?... mine are only standard height and I have ceiling fans. Are you very tall ?
I can touch the ceiling while standing on the floor, I used
to be 6ft, but have shrunk a bit with age, I can still change
a bulb without steps.

The ceilings that I had before were, 10ft & 12 ft, I needed
a stepladder to change bulbs then.

Mike.

Last edited:
We lived in Illinois for 27 years and had 8 ceiling fans, then lived 4 years in Iowa and had ceiling fans in every room including kitchen and baths and garage, 12 total. We have now lived in Florida for 3 years and have 8 ceiling fans including master bath and kitchen. Our garage in Florida is air conditioned.

I have them in both homes, Florida and Pennsylvania. In Florida, we have fans in all rooms, including the two patios outside. In PA, just the bedrooms and kitchen. We also have a 9-month room that has a fan.

Thinking back to our last 5 homes in California,they all had ceiling fans. Now in Idaho,our home has one in every room-including the kitchen. I don`t care much for them because they really irritate my eyes after a while.

Back