Do You Keep Emergency Money In Your Home?

fmdog44

Weather disasters like floods and tornados and house fires can make life a disaster if you have no cash on hand. I keep $2,000 located so I can get to it quickly in case of an emergency. This past August Houston had a life changing hurricane that displaced thousands. It was tragic seeing the damage here but with that people had nothing and I mean nothing. Some could not get to a bank because of the flooding had all roads and banks closed. Had they stored some cash the immediate circumstance would have been much more livable. If you don't have an emergency bundle consider making one. You are not making any interest with a bank anyhow.

Very little cash in the house tbh...perhaps I should keep a little more, never gave it a thought about being unable to use my Debit or CC's in the case of a disaster, good point

Definitely agree with having an emergency supply of cash. The real need (not to hijack the thread) is for people to have a supply of food and water, blankets, flashlight, etc. Of course, if we have a tornado and your house is gone, doesn't help. But there are many emergencies, including lengthy power outages, where people need to be prepared.

I love the debit card
But, as much as I love it
I don’t, for a minute, trust in it
Never have less than $5000usd within reach
If something requires a major lump of that, I scrimp like scrooge til it’s back

When we moved to our cabin, my bank gave me notice I needed an address or I couldn’t renew my card
Visited my branch
A little red faced round guy with a really white shirt gleefully advised me the same
(reminded me of Seinfeld’s Newman)
Showed me an official document advising the same
The Patriot Act
Lotsa reading
Went to register my vehicles in my new county
Ran into the same, DMV needs a street address
A nicely appointed lady with tight hair and ample cleavage overheard my facetious replies to the lady behind the counter, and we both became embroiled in a muted shouting match, right there in the main waiting area, casting barbs back and forth

Went home
Poured over The Patriot Act
Found a little drop down that took me off the hook.
Turns out I could pretty much use anyone’s address, kin, friends, willing acquaintances

so
I now live where I don’t
Which makes about as much sense as the rest of that fine piece of legislation

YES! I keep lottsa cash hidden in our home.

reminds me of a poster I put together in another life;

oVL077a.jpg

Don't hide it under the mattress!

MoneyMattress.png

I find it interesting that in today's world if you carry a large sum of money on your person or keep a large supply of cash in your home the authorities automatically assume that you are guilty of some criminal enterprise.

I was trying to think of an emergency that I would need cash for, couldn't think of one. Cash is kept to go out to eat & gambol, the amount varies depending on win or lose.

Back