Do You like Grits?

I’ve had good grits and bad grits. The amount of water put in is critical, or you wind up with a dry paste or a runny mess. I have grits occasionally, and they are offered as a breakfast choice option at restaurants like Bob Evans. I like mine with abundant butter and a little sweetener. I can’t say that I ever crave grits, but they weren’t a big thing where I grew up, and I first encountered them on a family vacation in the south.

To paraphrase an old Soupy Sales joke, “You might like having them with peaches, if Peaches will come over and have them with you!😸

Only if they are cooked just right, which many people just don't know how to do. They have to be smooth which takes the right amount of water and time.
This is so true. Years ago, it used to be nearly impossible to get decently cooked grits in any restaurant. Now, with the promotion of dishes such as shrimp and grits and heirloom quality grits you’re more likely to have a good experience in a restaurant. And grits are more common on the menus of upscale restaurants.

I heard a chef say once, ‘ people will turn their nose up at grits, but call it polenta, raise the price, and they’ll eat it all day long’.

But for god’s sake, don’t ever cook or eat what is sold as ‘instant grits’. The stuff is horrible. I eat grits often but will never touch those. If that is all you’ve ever had, you’ve not had grits. I’ll also go hungry before I put sugar on grits.

i grew up on them, inexpensive tummy filler, usually for breakfast. Some of the dishes featured above look like they might be good. i was only one eating them in my house as an adult. so don't make them any more. i always liked them with a couple of sunny side up eggs and bacon. Tho these days we buy real bacon bits and use them for things we want that bacon flavor in--less work and we eat less of bacon fat total than if make slices.

Only if they are cooked just right, which many people just don't know how to do. They have to be smooth which takes the right amount of water and time.
Bacon grease helps too (I know you don't eat it, but many do)!
Cheese grits are to die for.
Never heard of them, what are they like?

Last edited:
@MountainRa "But for god’s sake, don’t ever cook or eat what is sold as ‘instant grits’. The stuff is horrible. I eat grits often but will never touch those. If that is all you’ve ever had, you’ve not had grits. I’ll also go hungry before I put sugar on grits"

This reminds me of a scene from the movie "My Cousin Vinny" Vinny had a witness on the stand and he said No self respecting southerner would eat instant grits.

Loved that movie

First experience with grits..
We were traveling south..and stopped in southern Virginia for breakfast..
We ordered bacon,eggs, toast
The waitress then asked, "with or without" and we had to ask?
She said grits! 😂

Had to try...can "take 'em or leave 'em"!

First time I came across them was in Tennessee when I was in Navy A schools. They had a lady ran a little gedunk on the base, and asked me if I wanted grits with my eggs. I replied " What's that, some kind kind of furry little critter", she got a kick out of that. One of those things that you dress up with lots of other flavors so it's edible. I guess in the end it's just corn, which I like well enough.

AKA "Georgia Ice Cream"

The late southern humorist Lew Grizzard wrote a book titled " If You Don't Like Grits, Why Did You Order Breakfast?".

Cheese grits,properly prepared, is manna from heaven. When accompanied by a crisply fried catfish filet or two and a dish of seasoned collard greens, I can hear the angels singing....at least the ones below the Mason-Dixon Line....

Last edited:

Back